Intel HD graphics 4000 and Raine

mer-curious

:nosweat: Hello Tux! So I`m finally using Raine again and in a new hardware and I`m having some trouble in it. It`s a laptop with Windows 8 and with Intel HD graphics 4000.

So, whenever I enter fullscreen and press "Escape" to show the GUI, Raine window vanishes. I`ve tried returning to windowed mode before showing the GUI and then pressing "Escape" to avoid the issue, but the same happens. So no way to secure-close the emulator after a game is loaded in this machine for the moment, lol. :whywhy:

I tried to play with the video options but it didn`t solve the problem. This is how the GUI gets when I change the SDL video driver:

dfe1cb631742813.jpg

By the way, could you move the "FPS counter" option to the "Video options"? After quite some time not using the emu the "Video options" was my first bet to where I would find that option, so I suppose maybe it`s more intuitive to have it the "videos" since FPS is generally related to the video?

About the inputs, Raine seems to assign the buttons to whatever it finds as a game controller connected to the PC (before you start the program), but some controllers don`t have the same button layout. For example, a PlayStation formfactor-like controller can have the X, circle, square and triangle as button 1, 2, 3 and 4. But sometimes it could be button 0, 1, 2 and 3. The digital directional pad sometimes is "stick" but sometimes is "POV". So we have to reassign the buttons to the correct ones used by the driver. My question is if this is intended, and if it would be possible to add a wizard setup for the basic controller functions, that is, up, down, left, right, start, coin and the buttons used by the game. We have something like this in the Kega Fusion emulator if you`d like to check how it works. In the inputs, we click on "Define" and then the emu shows a message "Press keyboard key or direction for UP", "press keyboard key or button for A" etc, and then the setup becomes very quick and intuitive. What do you think?

Still about the inputs, could you revise the cosmetics on the save/load menu text boxes, lol? They look quite big. The "Load inputs from" doesn`t even fit the title in the text box:

c92fee631742783.jpg

Instead of "Load from which?" maybe it could be "Load inputs profile".

In the "Save inputs as...", the title is labeled as "Edition":

d07a66631742873.jpg

Instead of "Edition", it could be "Save inputs profile", and below it we could read "Enter profile name", with a bigger text field if possible.

Finally, isn`t it better to have the profile saved to a file in the "config" folder?

That`s it for now! Thank you for your long-standing support. :praiseyou:

PS: And my request for the TMNT and Sunset Riders games are still up! lol :whistling:

:nosweat: Hello Tux! So I`m finally using Raine again and in a new hardware and I`m having some trouble in it. It`s a laptop with Windows 8 and with Intel HD graphics 4000.

So, whenever I enter fullscreen and press "Escape" to show the GUI, Raine window vanishes. I`ve tried returning to windowed mode before showing the GUI and then pressing "Escape" to avoid the issue, but the same happens. So no way to secure-close the emulator after a game is loaded in this machine for the moment, lol. :whywhy:

I tried to play with the video options but it didn`t solve the problem. This is how the GUI gets when I change the SDL video driver:

Hi mer-curious, you are lucky I still come here regularly, I have the site in my bookmarks and it's a habit to come here even if the site is mostly dead now...

I think the bug has been mentioned earlier, it's specific to sdl 1.2 in windows, but only with some specific hardware (doesn't happen in win7 with a nvidia here, using the default sdl driver + opengl + fullscreen).

You can work around the problem by avoiding fullscreen, you can use a windowed mode without borders to look like fullscreen, it's a little longer to setup but it should work.

Why are you always stuck with some hardware with problems ???

By the way, could you move the "FPS counter" option to the "Video options"? After quite some time not using the emu the "Video options" was my first bet to where I would find that option, so I suppose maybe it`s more intuitive to have it the "videos" since FPS is generally related to the video?

Hum no, I am not going to change this and rebuild a new binary and release it just for you.

But I guess you are right it should be in video options !

Anyway normally we use keyboard shortcuts with raine, it was done for that, fps counter is f11 (by default).

About the inputs, Raine seems to assign the buttons to whatever it finds as a game controller connected to the PC (before you start the program), but some controllers don`t have the same button layout. For example, a PlayStation formfactor-like controller can have the X, circle, square and triangle as button 1, 2, 3 and 4. But sometimes it could be button 0, 1, 2 and 3. The digital directional pad sometimes is "stick" but sometimes is "POV". So we have to reassign the buttons to the correct ones used by the driver. My question is if this is intended, and if it would be possible to add a wizard setup for the basic controller functions, that is, up, down, left, right, start, coin and the buttons used by the game. We have something like this in the Kega Fusion emulator if you`d like to check how it works. In the inputs, we click on "Define" and then the emu shows a message "Press keyboard key or direction for UP", "press keyboard key or button for A" etc, and then the setup becomes very quick and intuitive. What do you think?

Oh this stupid forum doesn't seem to want me to insert a reply here so you'll have to find it anyway inside the body of your message...

Yeah there are zillions of different pads out there and they seem to all use some different button assignments for some reason. It's not very long to reassign this with the gui though, using the keyboard again you can quickly reassign all the inputs for a game and the settings are re-used for all the other games using these inputs if using the default inputs which is the case normally, so you don't need a wizard here.

If you really need one, use kega !

No I won't try it, not interested...

Still about the inputs, could you revise the cosmetics on the save/load menu text boxes, lol? They look quite big. The "Load inputs from" doesn`t even fit the title in the text box:

c92fee631742783.jpg

Instead of "Load from which?" maybe it could be "Load inputs profile".

Ah this time the forum allowed me to insert a reply, how nice from it !

Well the gui was made to allow me to add new stuff very quickly in the code without worrying about coordinates, size and so on. Since I was the only one of this, it had to be quick. If I had someone eager to improve the gui looks, it would be nice. As a matter of fact, I don't. So no, I won't try to touch this, but good news, you can do it if you feel so inclined, just download the source, learn to compile, etc, that's the hard way of open source, but at least everyone can improve the code instead of just complaining...

In the "Save inputs as...", the title is labeled as "Edition":

d07a66631742873.jpg

Instead of "Edition", it could be "Save inputs profile", and below it we could read "Enter profile name", with a bigger text field if possible.

Finally, isn`t it better to have the profile saved to a file in the "config" folder?

Shitty forum. You are the 1st one to think about it, I don't think a lot of people would find this useful.

That`s it for now! Thank you for your long-standing support. :praiseyou:

PS: And my request for the TMNT and Sunset Riders games are still up! lol :whistling:

I am afraid they are forgotten now, sorry I couldn't continue to do this alone forever, even if I had a little help for osx support toward the end, I was almost alone most of the time, and it's really too much !

Try to have fun anyway !

Yeah I also get this at the top of the page :

registry = ipsRegistry::instance(); $this->settings =& $this->registry->fetchSettings(); } public function getOutput() { return; } public function replaceOutput($output, $key) { require_once( IPSLib::getAppDir('ibprobattle') . '/sources/battleHooks.php' ); $this->battleHook = new battleHooks( $this->registry ); return $this->battleHook->statsTopicView($output, $key); } } ?>registry = ipsRegistry::instance(); $this->settings =& $this->registry->fetchSettings(); } public function getOutput() { require_once( IPSLib::getAppDir('ibprobattle') . '/sources/battleHooks.php' ); $this->battleHook = new battleHooks( $this->registry ); return $this->battleHook->statsTopicViewJS(); } } ?>

and it's not in the source, it's like someone is testing something, except it's been like that for months !

I don't even try to post about it anymore...

but thanks anyway ! :)

Hi mer-curious, you are lucky I still come here regularly, I have the site in my bookmarks and it's a habit to come here even if the site is mostly dead now...

I think the bug has been mentioned earlier, it's specific to sdl 1.2 in windows, but only with some specific hardware (doesn't happen in win7 with a nvidia here, using the default sdl driver + opengl + fullscreen).

You can work around the problem by avoiding fullscreen, you can use a windowed mode without borders to look like fullscreen, it's a little longer to setup but it should work.

Thanks for the tip! I`ll try that out! :cat:

Hum no, I am not going to change this and rebuild a new binary and release it just for you.

But I guess you are right it should be in video options !

Anyway normally we use keyboard shortcuts with raine, it was done for that, fps counter is f11 (by default).

Ah, no problem! I`m just making these suggestions because it`s been more than a year since the last version was released, so perhaps you could consider these little changes for a 2017 maintenance release. I think there`s already some minor changes in the code also, no? :poke:

If you really need one, use kega !

I would if I could but Kega Fusion is a Mega Drive/Master System emulator only, lol! (a very good one, by the way!) :nosweat:

Well the gui was made to allow me to add new stuff very quickly in the code without worrying about coordinates, size and so on. Since I was the only one of this, it had to be quick. If I had someone eager to improve the gui looks, it would be nice. As a matter of fact, I don't. So no, I won't try to touch this, but good news, you can do it if you feel so inclined, just download the source, learn to compile, etc, that's the hard way of open source, but at least everyone can improve the code instead of just complaining...

Lol, I suppose you could make this change in minutes, whereas I would take hundreds of hours to learn how to code. :veryupset:

Shitty forum. You are the 1st one to think about it, I don't think a lot of people would find this useful.

This is very useful for backing up, sharing and moving settings from one PC to another. I guess most emulators save the inputs profile to a file in the computer. But if it`s too complicated leave it for another time. :thumbsup1:

I am afraid they are forgotten now, sorry I couldn't continue to do this alone forever, even if I had a little help for osx support toward the end, I was almost alone most of the time, and it's really too much !

I`m sorry for your disappointment with the lack of coders working with you. :itsok:

But if you happen to think of adding support for the TMNT 2 system someday, a new release would be more than expected! There are eleven games for this board, if you are interested to check out:

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=569

System specs:

CPU: Motorola 68000 (@ 16 MHz)

Sound: Z80 (@ 4 MHz)

YM2151 (@ 3.579545 MHz)

K053260 (@ 3.579545 MHz)

Display: Raster

288 x 224 pixels (horizontal)

2048 colors

2-4 players

Fixed the quoting, but it keeps ruining the spacing. I think this forum software is just about had it.

You see, they answered to your request! Next thing: a new forum system! Thanks to my long post, lol! :P

Thanks for the tip! I`ll try that out! :cat:

So I tried that out but didn`t really like the results. So I thought of a better workaround maybe: a keyboard shortcut to quit the emu saving all the changes you have done.

Currently we have a "Quit w/o saving" keyboard shortcut option. Then we just needed a new shortcut for "Quit saving". Would it be possible? :-)

Also, I`m seeing some screen tearing. Is there a way to enable v-sync while in full screen mode?

That`s it for today! Thank you so much for your time! :praiseyou:

So I tried that out but didn`t really like the results. So I thought of a better workaround maybe: a keyboard shortcut to quit the emu saving all the changes you have done.

Currently we have a "Quit w/o saving" keyboard shortcut option. Then we just needed a new shortcut for "Quit saving". Would it be possible? :-)

ESC to call the gui and then Q, even if you don't see it. You should know that already by now !

A fullscreen window is not bad too imho, you don't care about windows decorations then.

Also, I`m seeing some screen tearing. Is there a way to enable v-sync while in full screen mode?

That`s it for today! Thank you so much for your time! :praiseyou:

in opengl ? Well normally it's enabled by the driver, if it's enabled in the options and you still have a problem with that I can't do much about it.

Lol, I suppose you could make this change in minutes, whereas I would take hundreds of hours to learn how to code. :veryupset:

Actually no, what I mean is the dialogs are defined in a very very short way, but then all the code which handles this and displays

them is not short nor super easy to handle, so it wouldn't be easy. Live with it for now, it's not a big deal.

This is very useful for backing up, sharing and moving settings from one PC to another. I guess most emulators save the inputs profile to a file in the computer. But if it`s too complicated leave it for another time. :thumbsup1:

Backup the config directory ?

Anyway it's configured very quickly normally, not a big deal.

I`m sorry for your disappointment with the lack of coders working with you. :itsok:

It's not only that, I am less and less interested in emulation, I almost never play any arcade emulated game now,

I have continued to maintain raine for a few years anyway, but since it's growing, it also gets more complex and all

this is really becoming crazy when doing it alone, so it's time for me to stop and turn to new things... !

Edited by Tux

Tux, that was a left-over remnant from when the battle system was removed. I don't know why this last bit was left behind.

Anyway, when it appears, just press F5 and it will fix itself.

No, still there, but don't worry, not a big deal.

I also get some garbage at the bottom of the screen after posting instead of seeing the page updated, but same thing, I live with it !

ESC to call the gui and then Q, even if you don't see it. You should know that already by now !

A fullscreen window is not bad too imho, you don't care about windows decorations then.

Unfortunately as soon as I press Escape the Raine window vanishes. It doesn`t even need to be in fullscreen for this to happen. That`s why I asked for the safe-close shortcut. This would be the only way to save my data after loading a game in this machine/system. Even the bordeless setting can`t help me here. :sad:

Edit: I`ve just noticed that with NGCD games I can reach the GUI. So the issue is with the arcade roms. :sleepy1:

in opengl ? Well normally it's enabled by the driver, if it's enabled in the options and you still have a problem with that I can't do much about it.

Yes, OpenGL.

I found the option in my video driver. It was set as "application settings", then I changed to "driver settings". It seems to have reduced screen tearing in Raine. But isn`t there a way to have this activated within Raine? I can activate this option in emulators such as Snex9x, Kega Fusion and FBA and I really see the difference there. There`s an info in Raine called "OpenGL VBL (force sync)", but it says "No". Would this have something to do with v-sync at all?

Backup the config directory ?

Anyway it's configured very quickly normally, not a big deal.

No problem about this feature for now. Actually what bothers me the most here is the aesthetics. :sweaty: I wish I had a bigger field to read/write my inputs profile name.

It's not only that, I am less and less interested in emulation, I almost never play any arcade emulated game now,

I have continued to maintain raine for a few years anyway, but since it's growing, it also gets more complex and all

this is really becoming crazy when doing it alone, so it's time for me to stop and turn to new things...

No problem, I understand you. You have done a great progress even working alone and I`ll always be grateful for that! Anyway, my feedback is here for you or someone else to take a look someday perhaps. :down:

By the way, FBA recently added support for button combinations and blend files. Before Raine, Nebula (dead since 2005) was the only emulator to support the transparency effects. I wonder whether they got influenced by the work you did on this in Raine? :rolleyes:

Edited by mer-curious