MESSUI and MAMEUI 0.189 released

Robert

MESSUI 0.189 and MAMEUI 0.189 have been released and are available at the usual place:

http://messui.1emulation.com/

There's no release of HBMAME.

Changes:

- Another big rewrite due to new code that was added to the core.

- History indexing speed was improved.

- Software displays will change if slots added that add extra media devices or enable extra software lists.

- Many, many other small changes, too many to list individually

- The mame_g/mess_g.ini and mameui/messui.ini files have a new format. All existing settings will be lost.

- The new default window size has been expanded from 800x600 to 1024x768.

Note:

- The new code we've had problems with has been largely stabilised, and has extra work done to make it more stable than official MAME. If you find that MAME crashes when changing slots or software, give MESSUI a try.

- In the MAME internal UI, selecting Configure Machine then Video Options will crash. MAME devs are looking into it.

- When you first try setting up MESSUI/MAMEUI, there's a problem with the splitters covering up the list of games. There's a workaround:

"Start MESSUI/MAMEUI. Drag out the bottom-right corner to expand it to the desired size (even though it looks like crap). Close it. Open it. Now you can adjust the splitters and it will look ok. Close it again to save the settings. Next time you open it, everything will be fine."

Well, the code for software-and-slots to MAME's core was indeed stabilised, but the 64-bit version has a whole bunch of issues in the winui side of things.

My testing was all done with the 32-bit build (which works fine), but it turns out the 64-bit build needed extra testing.

So, fixed in the last few days:

- Crash when wanting to change the background image and hitting either Cancel or Open

- Crash when non-numeric data existed in mameui.ini where numbers were expected

- Random crash when trying to get back the cache value from mame_g.ini

- Doesn't remember which system you had chosen when you quit.

- Doesn't remember which software tab you had chosen when you quit.

The fixes for all this means you have to delete mame_g.ini again, otherwise it will crash on the large cache numbers that currently exist (it's a c++ exception, i cannot prevent it).

Zag from Mameworld here.

I d/l mameui 32-bit and the softlists work perfectly along with all the other glitches that mameui64 had.

So the softlists problem is a 64-bit specific problem.

You should be able to reproduce it on your end. It's not anything in my config files.

You probably feel like giving up on the 64-bit version entirely at this point, and I wouldn't blame you.

Thanks.

I got these errors when trying to compile 32-bit with the latest tools. It's strange because 64-bit went off without a hitch:

In file included from ../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/saturn.cpp:79:0:
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx: In member function 'void saturn_device::saturn_exchange(int, int, int, int)':
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx:806:6: error: assuming signed overflow does not occur when assuming that (X + c) < X is always false [-Werror=strict-overflow]
 void saturn_device::saturn_exchange(int left, int begin, int count, int right)
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx:806:6: error: assuming signed overflow does not occur when assuming that (X + c) < X is always false [-Werror=strict-overflow]
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx: In member function 'void saturn_device::saturn_copy(int, int, int, int)':
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx:824:6: error: assuming signed overflow does not occur when assuming that (X + c) < X is always false [-Werror=strict-overflow]
 void saturn_device::saturn_copy(int dest, int begin, int count, int src)
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx:824:6: error: assuming signed overflow does not occur when assuming that (X + c) < X is always false [-Werror=strict-overflow]
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx: In member function 'void saturn_device::saturn_or(int, int, int, int)':
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx:1040:6: error: assuming signed overflow does not occur when assuming that (X + c) < X is always false [-Werror=strict-overflow]
 void saturn_device::saturn_or(int dest, int begin, int count, int src)
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx:1040:6: error: assuming signed overflow does not occur when assuming that (X + c) < X is always false [-Werror=strict-overflow]
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx: In member function 'void saturn_device::saturn_and(int, int, int, int)':
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx:1055:6: error: assuming signed overflow does not occur when assuming that (X + c) < X is always false [-Werror=strict-overflow]
 void saturn_device::saturn_and(int dest, int begin, int count, int src)
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
../../../../../src/devices/cpu/saturn/satops.hxx:1055:6: error: assuming signed overflow does not occur when assuming that (X + c) < X is always false [-Werror=strict-overflow]

In function 'vdbePmaReadBlob.part.307',
    inlined from 'vdbePmaReadBlob',
    inlined from 'vdbePmaReadVarint.part.308' at ../../../../../3rdparty/sqlite3/sqlite3.c:85435:12,
    inlined from 'vdbePmaReadVarint',
    inlined from 'vdbePmaReaderNext' at ../../../../../3rdparty/sqlite3/sqlite3.c:85546:8:
../../../../../3rdparty/sqlite3/sqlite3.c:85392:5: error: 'memcpy': specified size between 2147483648 and 4294967295 exceeds maximum object size 2147483647 [-Werror=stringop-overflow=]
     memcpy(p->aAlloc, &p->aBuffer[iBuf], nAvail);
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In function 'vdbePmaReadBlob.part.307',
    inlined from 'vdbePmaReadBlob',
    inlined from 'vdbePmaReadVarint.part.308' at ../../../../../3rdparty/sqlite3/sqlite3.c:85435:12,
    inlined from 'vdbePmaReadVarint',
    inlined from 'vdbePmaReaderInit.constprop' at ../../../../../3rdparty/sqlite3/sqlite3.c:85583:8,
    inlined from 'vdbeMergeEngineLevel0' at ../../../../../3rdparty/sqlite3/sqlite3.c:87159:8:
../../../../../3rdparty/sqlite3/sqlite3.c:85392:5: error: 'memcpy': specified size between 2147483648 and 4294967295 exceeds maximum object size 2147483647 [-Werror=stringop-overflow=]
     memcpy(p->aAlloc, &p->aBuffer[iBuf], nAvail);
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My msys32 environment is using GCC 7.2.0 just like the msys64 environment. This doesn't look like a UI bug. I'm going to see if vanilla mame will compile. It might just be my environment that's the problem.

Edited by hfball

I recompiled mameui64 from the master branch instead of tag189, and it all works. Go figure.

Also, the 64-bit environment doesn't puke on the Saturn device. Only the 32-bit. Go figure.

Thought you'd like to know.

Going on that, I've just uploaded new versions of MAMEUI to the messui site. Also, the download for MESSUI64 has been removed as it would have had the same problems, but since nobody complained I have to assume nobody uses it. Anyone who does can get the 32-bit version.

Well, I use it but can wait for the next version.

P.S. The problems that I see are:

The SW Items tab doesn't show the files

and

it doesn't work in fullscreen (both, mess64 and messui64)

Edited by julepe