Raine did not work under MacOSX El Capitan 10.11.6

tien_huu_1408

I am curious : which version of raine on osx did you use before ?

Well there is a readme about how to create all the libs you require, but it's mainly for developers, you can give it a try though it's not too complex, but it's clearly not the usual osx stuff where everything works "out of the box".

It's here :

https://github.com/zelurker/raine/blob/master/README.OSX

The one you are clearly missing here is muparser, and it's clearly the most complex one. Tell me if you get something out of this.

sdl_sound has probably some problems too here, because you would need the mercurial version if you want it to work right (as it does with the win32 build), but anyway... !

Sorry about this, I had spent quite a bit of time making the original osx build to work "out of the box", but it's really outdated stuff now, and I can't do anything on a mac right now.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Finally, I made it work perfectly under Mac OSX 10.11.6 as before. I have installed all required package and reinstall muparser with this command line:

brew reinstall muparser --universal

Moreover, could you help me compile Raine under Debian ARM like Raspberry Pi 3? If possible, hope you give me detailed instructions. Thanks a lot!

post-56610-0-05903300-1475327906.png

Edited by tien_huu_1408

Ok cool, at least you made it !

For an arm build, raine is full of x86 asm, that's why there is no 64 bit binary, it would break too many things.

It can be built without any asm at all, but it's more a proof of concept because it would lack most of its drivers (no 6502, no 68000, some z80 but only games without rom bank switch, which leaves not a lot games). From memory the games which could work in this case :

z80 : dkong, puckman and its clones maybe, err maybe not, most of these games use some kind of kabuki encryption which wouldn't work with the z80 c core. Maybe some very old z80 games... forgot which ones though !

68020 : macross+ (the taito f3 games could probably work by disabling the sound since the 68000 is only used for sound in f3 games), maybe the psikyo driver, not sure (gunbird etc...).

As you see it's not really worth it, but I can give you the details if you want !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

@Tux

About MacOSX version, it seems working for the first screen but after that, it crashes immediately. I am testing Samurai Spirits RPG with Raine 0.63.13 by @rrshier. It never happened with previous MacOSX before and Win version also.

Again, I download Raine 0.63.4 provided by Raine website. It worked as a charm like before.

Edited by tien_huu_1408

Well if you installed all the libs, it's the hardest part in building raine, now all you have to do is build it from source, this way you are 100% sure you are using the latest official version.

Just use git clone https://github.com/zelurker/raine.git

or download a zip file from the git section. Then cd to the source directory, if all the libs are already installed you should be able to type make and everything should work without problem, it should autodetect everything including the fact you are using osx. If something fails tell me.

You can use the very last git commit, there were only fixes committed to git, nothing experimental.

The only requirement maybe you are still missing is nasm, well check you have it and if you don't find a binary on internet, it's easy to find.

If your build goes well but then it crashes again, then edit the makefile and uncomment the line to build a debug build, it must be the line containing RAINE_DEBUG, then save and rebuild and try again. If it crashes, uses gdb to run it and tell me where it crashes (you'll get the info from gdb). Of course in this case run it in windowed mode and not fullscreen.

Good luck !

Edited by Tux

Well if you installed all the libs, it's the hardest part in building raine, now all you have to do is build it from source, this way you are 100% sure you are using the latest official version.

Just use git clone https://github.com/zelurker/raine.git

or download a zip file from the git section. Then cd to the source directory, if all the libs are already installed you should be able to type make and everything should work without problem, it should autodetect everything including the fact you are using osx. If something fails tell me.

You can use the very last git commit, there were only fixes committed to git, nothing experimental.

The only requirement maybe you are still missing is nasm, well check you have it and if you don't find a binary on internet, it's easy to find.

If your build goes well but then it crashes again, then edit the makefile and uncomment the line to build a debug build, it must be the line containing RAINE_DEBUG, then save and rebuild and try again. If it crashes, uses gdb to run it and tell me where it crashes (you'll get the info from gdb). Of course in this case run it in windowed mode and not fullscreen.

Good luck !

I got error when compiling Raine as your instruction. I have installed gcc and nasm already via brew install gcc / nasm

darwin-sdl/object/68000/star.exe -hog darwin-sdl/object/68000/s68000.asm

STARSCREAM version 0.26r4

Generating "darwin-sdl/object/68000/s68000.asm" with the following options:

* CPU type: 68000 (24-bit addresses)

* Identifiers begin with "s68000"

* Stack calling conventions

* Hog mode: On

Decoding instructions: 0123456789ABCDEF done

Building table: done

routine_counter = 7244

Assembling darwin-sdl/object/68000/s68000.asm...

nasm: error: more than one input file specified

type `nasm -h' for help

make: *** [darwin-sdl/object/68000/s68000.o] Error 1

Edited by tien_huu_1408

Oh là ! You are going to spam the forum if you send the whole build log all the time, only the very last lines matter, here that is :

Assembling darwin-sdl/object/68000/s68000.asm...

nasm: error: more than one input file specified

type `nasm -h' for help

make: *** [darwin-sdl/object/68000/s68000.o] Error 1

So I guess something changed in nasm... ! which version do you have ? (nasm --version). I'll try to update mine and check it's still ok.

The 1st lines show that everything went ok, osx is called darwin for the build environment...

Well nasm is ok for me, use nasm -v to get the version, nasm 2.12.01 here, and I was using 2.10 before.

Edit the makefile and uncomment the line VERBOSE = 1

then type make again to see how nasm is called exactly.

You should get something like this :

Assembling linux-gnu-sdl/objectd/68000/s68000.asm...
nasm -MD linux-gnu-sdl/objectd/68000/s68000.d -o linux-gnu-sdl/objectd/68000/s68000.o -f elf -O1 -D__RAINE__ -DRAINE_UNIX linux-gnu-sdl/objectd/68000/s68000.asm

Of course this is for linux here and in debug mode, so you'll get darwin instead of linux-gnu and object instead of objectd but the rest should be the same.

Edited by Tux

Latest version of nasm is 2.12.02, it works, I tested with 2.12.01.

It works also with 2.10 and 2.07 and many previous versions.

Maybe there is something else here. From the changelog of nasm there were quite a few bugs for osx, so you should use the most recent version if possible.

What is your version again ?

As I said, edit the makefile to get the exact invocation of nasm, then copy and paste this line to understand why you get the error, maybe there is a space in a filename (which is normally impossible since the sub directories names have no space and only relative paths are given), anyway you have to test this. Never saw such an error, the most likely place of error when building is the link phase because it might fail to find libraries but usually nasm works without any trouble.

TienHuusMacBook:raine-master H2T$ nasm -v

NASM version 0.98.40 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 11) compiled on Aug 24 2016

I am trying to install newest nasm to 2.12.02 successfully

TienHuusMacBook:nasm-2.12.02 H2T$ nasm -v

NASM version 2.12.02 compiled on Oct 3 2016

After that, I try to rebuild Raine again. But I face the next error

clang: error: no such file or directory: '/usr/local/lib/libmuparser.a'

make: *** [raine] Error 1

How to solve it? Thanks!
Edited by tien_huu_1408

It's not the same error ! It's what I said, the link doesn't detect the location of your libs so you have to edit the makefile tor that.

It's from line 868 in the makefile :

ifdef DARWIN
LIBS += /usr/local/lib/libmuparser.a
LIBS_DEBUG += /usr/local/lib/libmuparser.a

so the lib here was forced as a static lib because I had some troube to build the dynamic lib from source, but since you use some package manager to install libmuparser you probably have a dynamic lib. So you can replace the line

LIBS += /usr/local/lib/libmuparser.a

by

LIBS += -lmuparser

You are almost at the end of the build, it's the link after that you'll get a raine executable in the current directory.

Then you'll have to test it to see if it still crashes !

By the way if you need to rebuild it entierly you can use

make -j4

if you have 4 cores in your cpu, speeds things a lot, even though raine is much quicker to build than mame !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1