Button combinations for CPS1 and 2 games

mer-curious

Hi, Tux. First of all, thank you for the new release.

I've been playing some CPS1 and 2 games lately and started felling the need for the button combinations we already have for the NG and NGCD games.

The CPS1 games I need this feature enabled are the beat'em up ones, like Final Fight and Captain Commando. If you press Button 1 and 2 together in these games you release a special attack. Actually Final Fight has a third configurable button, but it has no function in the game.

So for these games a combination of Button 1 + 2 would work well for me.

The CPS1 Street Fighter games use a 6 buttons layout, 3 for punches and 3 for kickes. But as far as I know these games never used any button combinations at all, so I don't know if you should enable other combinations like Button 3 + 4, Button 1 + 2 + 3 (aka 3 punches), Button 4 + 5 + 6 (aka 3 kickes) etc.

Marvel vs Capcom for CPS2 also has a 3 punches/3 kickes button layout and it can work with several button combinations, although some will produce the same effect. As there are many fighting games for CPS2, maybe you could enable as many combinations as possible for this system. However, this would flood the inputs menu with countless combinations strings. So it would be better just to enable the ones people find useful for the games.

For the Capcom crossover titles, I would like Button 1 + 2, Button 1 + 2 + 3 (aka 3 punches), Button 4 + 5 and Button 4 + 5 + 6 (aka 3 kickes and high jump).
Maybe the punch + kick combinations can also be useful sometime: Button 1 + 4 (weak punch + weak kick), Button 2 + 5 (middle punch + middle kick = calls striker in MvsC) and finally Button 3 + 6 (strong punch + strong kick = changes fighter in the battle in MvsC).

I suppose most CPS2 games should be covered by these combinations. For example, Cadillacs and Dinossaurs and Dungeons and Dragons will both use a Button 1 + 2 combination, and Darkstalkers will also use the punch + kick combinations above.

Please tell me what you think about it and whether it could be added.

Thank you in advance for your great support.

Edited by mer-curious

Of course it can be done, but you are right, we shouldn't add too many combinations, I'll test this and see how it goes.

How do you find the command.dat inputs in the controls menu now ?

By the way there seems to be a small bug with the new shaders code, it makes the overlay interface strings black if using the opengl overlay interface, which makes them unreadable. Maybe it doesn't happen for all video cards.

For now just don't use the opengl overlay interface if you use this.

Edited by Tux

Of course it can be done, but you are right, we shouldn't add too many combinations, I'll test this and see how it goes.

How do you find the command.dat inputs in the controls menu now ?

Thanks for considering the suggestion. Those combinations can come in handy when I'm using a gamepad with some spare buttons, like the one from PlayStation.

I found the pictured inputs a very nice touch.

By the way there seems to be a small bug with the new shaders code, it makes the overlay interface strings black if using the opengl overlay interface, which makes them unreadable. Maybe it doesn't happen for all video cards.

For now just don't use the opengl overlay interface if you use this.

Unfortunately I wasn't even able to test the shaders yet because before I reach the game Raine is strangely crashing.

It's very easy to reproduce the crash:

Unzip Raine to a clean folder (that is, make a new installation).

Run Raine, select your roms folder, load a CPS1 rom like Final Fight or a CPS2 game like Marvel vs Capcom (can also be a NeoGeo game).

Go to "Inputs" -> "Edit default game inputs" and try to edit an input. Raine should crash the moment you click on an input.

As it's a new installation, I thought the problem could have something to do with the new pictured inputs and the lack of the commands.dat file in Raine's folder, no?

I hope it's easy to fix.

Finally, I couldn't find a way to enable the translations available in the "locale" folder. Would it possible to add an option in the "Options" menu to select among the present translations?

That's it for now.

Thanks a lot again for your great time.

For the translations you don't enable them manually, they detect the language on your system and if some translation is available it's displayed.

I am thinking about maybe adding a setting to keep english for those who are used to the short cuts because it changes all of them of course.

Since you don't have a spanish or a french system you can't see anything... maybe it's time you contribute a few strings from your language to see the difference! :wink:

For your crash no idea, I have messed a lot with the inputs since the release and no problem so far, I can always test in a new folder...

EDIT : actually it's not a crash, it's easy to reproduce, it just quits because it doesn't recognize the new input (command.dat is interfering here). You are probably the only one who found this because most people use the old config and so they don't need to remap all the controls all the time !

I thought I had tested this, but I have forgotten, thanks for noticing !

By the way : I have added 3p and 3k for cps2, mainly because they are already in the listings of the command.dat inputs, but it's impossible to add 3k for player 2 in cps2 (at least for ssf2, but probably for all the games using these 6 buttons) because the wiring of the game is crazy and the 3 last buttons are not mapped on the same byte.

There is at least a limitation in raine for combinations, the inputs must be mapped in the same byte (1 bit / input).

Oh well, it will be harder for player 2 !

EDIT : for now, just cps1 2 buttons added B1+B2 (actually there is a 3rd button for final fight, but it's unused ?)

for cps1 6 buttons added b1+b2+b3 (3p)

for cps2 6 buttons added 3p and 3k

that's all for now. Actually from the command.dat there are very few 2 buttons combinations, so it seems overkill to map all possible 2 button combinations when there are so little actually used.

Also fixed the mapping of new inputs of course and improved the representation.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

For the translations you don't enable them manually, they detect the language on your system and if some translation is available it's displayed.

I am thinking about maybe adding a setting to keep english for those who are used to the short cuts because it changes all of them of course.

Since you don't have a spanish or a french system you can't see anything... maybe it's time you contribute a few strings from your language to see the difference! :wink:[

Ok, I can make a translation for my language. I downloaded the Poedit program and the raine.pot file from Git but couldn't open the file to start the translation. I'll wait your help here whenever you can.

But I think an option to choose from the available translations under the option menu would let users be free to use or not the translations. I guess most arcade emus have an option like this.

EDIT : actually it's not a crash, it's easy to reproduce, it just quits because it doesn't recognize the new input (command.dat is interfering here). You are probably the only one who found this because most people use the old config and so they don't need to remap all the controls all the time !

I thought I had tested this, but I have forgotten, thanks for noticing !

Yes, I always do a clean install just to avoid any nuisances. I then copy and paste my games.cfg file which has all the NG sound associations and sometimes hiscore.dat and, of course, the blend files.

By the way : I have added 3p and 3k for cps2, mainly because they are already in the listings of the command.dat inputs, but it's impossible to add 3k for player 2 in cps2 (at least for ssf2, but probably for all the games using these 6 buttons) because the wiring of the game is crazy and the 3 last buttons are not mapped on the same byte.

There is at least a limitation in raine for combinations, the inputs must be mapped in the same byte (1 bit / input).

Oh well, it will be harder for player 2 !

EDIT : for now, just cps1 2 buttons added B1+B2 (actually there is a 3rd button for final fight, but it's unused ?)

for cps1 6 buttons added b1+b2+b3 (3p)

for cps2 6 buttons added 3p and 3k

that's all for now. Actually from the command.dat there are very few 2 buttons combinations, so it seems overkill to map all possible 2 button combinations when there are so little actually used.

Also fixed the mapping of new inputs of course and improved the representation.

Thanks for the button combinations.

Would you mind adding the Button 1 + 2, Button 2 + 5 and Button 3 + 6 for CPS2 too? The first is used in the beat 'em up games such as Dungeons and Dragons and Cadillac and Dinosaurs to release a special attack, just like in the CPS1 games. The other combinations are used in the Capcom fighting titles to assist the player during the battles and to change between characters, so they can be useful when using a PlayStation or an XBOX 360 gamepad, which offer many buttons to configure. Can also be handy when playing with the keyboard.

Thank you so much again for your time and support.

Ok, just added the option to change the language in the "Options" menu, but in linux it requires the locale of the desired language to be installed.

I guess in windows all the locales are already installed anyway.

For poedit, it's very easy, just drag and drop raine.pot on it, you'll get a big button at the bottom "start a new translation", click on it and you should find your way from there !

EDIT : sorry for b2b5 & b3b6 : b1, b2, b3 ar mapped on byte 0 when b4, b5, b6 are on byte 2, so you can't map any combination between these 2 groups, it must always be on the same byte. For b1b2, I can do it though !

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Ok, just added the option to change the language in the "Options" menu, but in linux it requires the locale of the desired language to be installed.

I guess in windows all the locales are already installed anyway.

Thank you once again for considering the suggestion. That will certainly let users more free to try the available translations and use them if they like it.

For poedit, it's very easy, just drag and drop raine.pot on it, you'll get a big button at the bottom "start a new translation", click on it and you should find your way from there !

Yes, I did this but curiously the program is saying the file is invalid. I've already tried dragging and dropping but had the same results.

EDIT : sorry for b2b5 & b3b6 : b1, b2, b3 ar mapped on byte 0 when b4, b5, b6 are on byte 2, so you can't map any combination between these 2 groups, it must always be on the same byte. For b1b2, I can do it though !

What a pity. But thanks a lot for trying these too. I'll be very glad if you can add the B1 + B2 combination solely.

I'll then wait you check the problem with Raine.pot and Poedit to start my Portuguese (Brazilian) translation.

Thank you again for your great time and attention.

Edited by mer-curious

The problem is not on my side, obviously you did something wrong... (we are currently 2 persons to use this file !).

Oh well... raine.pot is exactly 54493 bytes, that should be enough to check yours.

Open poedit without anything, file menu / new catalog from a pot file

give it this pot file, you'll have a form to fill and then it should be ok.

For the buttons, it can't be done now, maybe one day we'll add another solution, like adding the ability to map some keys to some cheats and then add a cheat to simulate these key presses, but it would not be trivial to add, so it will be for another time ! Nothing is impossible, but it isn't worth the work for now...

Edited by Tux

The problem is not on my side, obviously you did something wrong... (we are currently 2 persons to use this file !).

Oh well... raine.pot is exactly 54493 bytes, that should be enough to check yours.

Thank you. This piece of information was indeed helpful to locate the problem. I was going to Git -> Locale -> right click raine.pot and "Save file as..." to download and this was giving me a file of 1.1mb.

In the Locale folder we have to click on the raine.pot file -> highlight "Raw" and then right-click on it and "Save file as..." so that we can have a valid file to work with Poedit.

Maybe it would be good to add this info on the translations topic, for the ones who have little to none coding skills like me.

For the buttons, it can't be done now, maybe one day we'll add another solution, like adding the ability to map some keys to some cheats and then add a cheat to simulate these key presses, but it would not be trivial to add, so it will be for another time ! Nothing is impossible, but it isn't worth the work for now...

Interesting solution. But you're right. This wouldn't be trivial and I'm very satisfied with the combinations you've added for the time being.

Thank you again for your help.

Edited by mer-curious

For info, disastrous sunday, I have exploded my windows installation (forget the reason, too long to explain), and when I tried to reinstall I realized my 2 dvd burners/readers were dead ! So no windows anymore for now, I'll have to buy at least 1 new drive soon though... ! I can't say I'll miss windows, but I need at least some basic installation to be able to test stuff which can't be tested in linux like language support specific to windows, + eventually to play skyrim (but I think I have done everything interesting now on this side).

Hum, maybe I could stay a few months without any windows installation then... !

And except that it was a break from raine, I found a big android tablet which I use to read some comic strips, it's been a very long time since I last read those, so I have a lot to catch up ! Plus some idle chat on the web, so nothing productive lately !

Oh well !

• Like 1