Windows 10 -- anybody upgrade?

Alpha

uhhh... how big is it?

It says 3gb but the percentages keep going up then down as if its erasing what it just downloaded. Its the worst updating experience ever.

Microsoft now able to disable any software it deems as pirated, or unauthorized...as well as UNAUTHORIZED HARDWARE. One more reason to avoid this piece of shit OS, and more reason to push me to Linux for my desktop OS, already been running a headless Debian server here for several years.

• Like 1

Microsoft now able to disable any software it deems as pirated, or unauthorized...as well as UNAUTHORIZED HARDWARE. One more reason to avoid this piece of shit OS, and more reason to push me to Linux for my desktop OS, already been running a headless Debian server here for several years.

Not exactly...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3h5wwg/windows_10_disabling_pirated_software_not_so_fast/

• 5 months later...

I upgraded my old HTPC to it, unfortunately it wasn't really a great experience. The machine was a 6 year old Lenovo that isn't officially supported beyond Windows 7 and it had some stability and odd USB problems as a result.

On my new HTPC, it's running fine and it does seem to be a step in the right direction. It doesn't feel out of place as a desktop OS in the same way Windows 8 did, but there's still some UI work to be done. The modern/metro/8/whatever-the-f***-we're-calling-them-this-week apps still feel out of place and a little disjointed alongside the classic Windows desktop. It's also sad to see some compatibility issues coming up with older software, notably some emulators that still use DirectDraw.

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded my old HTPC to it, unfortunately it wasn't really a great experience. The machine was a 6 year old Lenovo that isn't officially supported beyond Windows 7 and it had some stability and odd USB problems as a result.

This is also my reason for not upgrading. I think Windows 10 would be wasted on my current laptop.

It's also sad to see some compatibility issues coming up with older software, notably some emulators that still use DirectDraw.

So it's true that Windows 10 no longer supports DirectDraw? Not very ideal in terms of older emulators.