Raine + DOS = bad sound

theelf

Ok I found the source for 0.51.0, and bad news there doesn't seem to be any obvious difference for sound there (for the dos part).

So here is a test build of 0.51.0 using the latest tools : http://raine.1emulation.com/archive/rained-test.7z

(just the exe inside)

get it, put it in a raine directory and compare it to your normal 0.51.0 binary, does it work the same way or not ?

(you might be obliged to use a right click on the link and use "save as", the web server here doesn't seem to know about 7z files...).

Edited by Tux

Hi!

sorry, i cant test, everytime i want to load a rom, this build of raine crash, i delete the config just in case, but same problem :(

I was thinking to try to build Raine myself, because I feel bad you only do all work. I will download a clean install of mingw tonight and try

Thanks for all

lol, it's not mingw to build for dos, you need djgpp + an old allegro lib !

Anyway I didn't even test this build myself I just compiled it and uploaded it, maybe I was too optimistic about that, I'll take a look a little later then...

Don't worry it's not too bad doing this. The reason why there were no dos builds is because I couldn't do or get any serious testing, now at least I have a serious tester !

EDIT : same player plays again, new link : http://raine.1emulation.com/archive/rained-test2.7z

Same rules, just the exe, it was a stupid mistake from me which was crashing the loading dialog. That's what happens when I don't test things.

Edited by Tux

Oh! djgpp, no problem, i will install in DOS :)

Ok, i test the "test2" raine, and this work perfect, no sound problem at all. Is a 7mb exe, instead of 1.5mb of original 0.51

I check the fps with F11, and everything similar to original 0.51

Yes sadly not much DOS users anymore :(

Thanks for all

Ok, good news it means it's not because of some lost hack finally, but I'll need some time to pinpoint the cause then because it's not obvious.

For the size it's just because the old 0.51.0 binary was packed using upx, it produces a slightly smaller exe when unpacked (6.4 Mb instead of 6.7), the difference is probably the result of some optimizations and alignment used by the new compiler.

Ok, I'll try to reproduce the sound issues in dosemu then, and I'll post later.

Thanks for the test anyway !

EDIT : I can't reproduce your sound issues, even with an fps between 20 and 30 in dosbox (which now works !) I still get a perfectly clear sound !

Oh well, in this case I need I'll have to make a few more tests with you then, there are 2 possibilities and I can't really guess here... later...

Ok, here is another test, it's 0.64.5 with the sound engine from 0.51.0. The catch is that there is almost no difference between the 2, and the differences shouldn't matter at all, but I have no other idea for now, so give this one a try : http://raine.1emulation.com/archive/rained-test3.7z

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

Hi Tux, im so sorry for the delay, i was out for work

I just test the build "text 3" but sadly same sound problems, im sorry

I tried to build Raine with djgpp in DOS, to test myself, but very difficult without a doc about what version of allegro, libraries, etc do you have one?

Thanks for your hard work

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi ! Don't apologize for your lack of time, at least you are willing to try to fix that which is quite incredible already !

Well for dos you need a lot less dependancies than for windows so it's much easier.

For the compiler you can use the same link that I posted earlier if you want to compile from windows, it works also from windows, or djgpp which might also work for windows (not sure fore the recent versions,maybe).

After that you just need : zlib and libpng (use google),and allegro (the one from the Extras page of rainemu,there : http://raine.1emulation.com/download/extras.html at to bottom of the page, allegro 4.2.2. It has some hacks applied and apparently they work since you tested it for the rebuilt 5.10 version that I posted earlier (well I had added a few more hacks but as I said it probably made no difference).

What i can say about this : the sound problem is probably a symptom, not the cause of the problem, so I am almost sure it's not the sound emulation which is the cause here but something else which slows things down, but I can't tell you what.

Well you can try to rebuild the 0.51.0, and if it works try to update the versions one by one until you get some problems. There must have been some other problems since 0.51.8 dos was silent, but it seems like a reasonable approach, but it would take time.

Building the dos version is quite fast though once all the tools are installed.

For now I have no more idea on my side, the biggest problem here being that I can't reproduce the problem, I would need a really slow computer for that.

• Like 1

Hi ! Don't apologize for your lack of time, at least you are willing to try to fix that which is quite incredible already !

Well for dos you need a lot less dependancies than for windows so it's much easier.

For the compiler you can use the same link that I posted earlier if you want to compile from windows, it works also from windows, or djgpp which might also work for windows (not sure fore the recent versions,maybe).

After that you just need : zlib and libpng (use google),and allegro (the one from the Extras page of rainemu,there : http://raine.1emulation.com/download/extras.html at to bottom of the page, allegro 4.2.2. It has some hacks applied and apparently they work since you tested it for the rebuilt 5.10 version that I posted earlier (well I had added a few more hacks but as I said it probably made no difference).

What i can say about this : the sound problem is probably a symptom, not the cause of the problem, so I am almost sure it's not the sound emulation which is the cause here but something else which slows things down, but I can't tell you what.

Well you can try to rebuild the 0.51.0, and if it works try to update the versions one by one until you get some problems. There must have been some other problems since 0.51.8 dos was silent, but it seems like a reasonable approach, but it would take time.

Building the dos version is quite fast though once all the tools are installed.

For now I have no more idea on my side, the biggest problem here being that I can't reproduce the problem, I would need a really slow computer for that.

Hi!!

Oh man, yesterday i write a long post, i dont know what happen, but i was sure i click the "post button" jeje

I compile your allegro 4.2.2 without problems, zlib and libpng too. I have a working nasm and other libraries

Now i start with Raine (the important thing jaja) and my first problem was..... "long names" !! :msnoh: oh! a lot of long names! thats a big big problem in dos

Well, finally with the help os DOSLFN i solve the problem (but anyways, if one day i finally compile raine, i will make a proper 8+3 version)

My next problem, is i cant compile the ASM cores, i have a -1 error :msntongue: no idea (If i go to the folder, i can do "nasm s68000.asm" and no errors)

Any advice?

raine.jpg

Thanks!!

Edited by theelf

For the forum maybe there are some issues here I don't know, post to alpha if you have a doubt.

For nasm, searching for "nasm exit code -1" in google gives this : http://sourceforge.net/p/nasm/mailman/message/26417391/

apparently it's the joy you get from trying to build in a pure ds environment !

I am not sure about this, you are on your own there, but they say adding a flush to disk might fix it, I don't know how you flush the disk buffer in dos though.

If you want, I can also prepare a few builds to test for you (like 0.51.5 and 0.51.6 for a start). I could always remove them later and it will be much faster for me to build them.

Yeah even in the dos days I have always hated the 8+3 limitation for filenames, so raine has used long names very early, I forgot about that because even when using djgpp I used it in a long names environment.

(in linux there has never been any short filename !).

So once you have migrated to long filenames, you never look back !

EDIT : if it's really a disk cache problem, the easiest work around is probably just to wait a few seconds after you got the error and then just type make again, it should work the 2nd time if nasm produced no output the 1st time !

Edited by Tux

As far as forum problems go, it seems that you're able to attach files and set up your avatar, so the immediate problems are solved.

I can only suspect you need 10+ posts before being allowed to do those things, although I can't prove it.

awwww tux, i almost... almost...compile... ahhh jaja

But it seems that my problem is compile the ASM code... well, tomorrow I will try more, but this days sadly I had too much work, and i can play in computer just half hour

raine2.jpg

Alchemist, thanks, dont worry, everything is ok, maybe my browser is a little old, and some stuff dont work well

Edited by theelf