Another request for supporting Buggy Boy

letmealone

If i did understand well, the latest versions of Coinops include a mame .150 core... it could be possible thanks to this, adding support to Tatsumi's Buggy Boy (1985), even with some frameskipping? IMHO is the only great classic arcade game still missing to be emulated on the Xbox.

Edited by letmealone

If i did understand well, the latest versions of Coinops include a mame .150 core

Hmm it might have a MAME150 core but i have my doubts!! surely if this was the case apart from Buggy Boy there would be other games not playable in FBA

or the older versions of MAME CoinOPS uses that would be supported like World Rally or Big Fight Big Trouble In The Atlantic Ocean or Heavy Unit etc etc

i'd take it with a pinch of salt if i was you :)

My impression, is just that the Xbox has enough computing power for emulating decently Buggy Boy, and now with a recent Mame core used, it seems more possible than ever before. I still keep hoping.

Edited by letmealone

A more recent version of the core would actually be worse on the Xbox, rendering many games that were playable, unplayable. There was a point years back when the core underwent drastic changes(Right at pretty much 0.84/0.85 where you see MameOX's core based on 0.84b3), and numerous transitional changes have occurred since and will continue to occur.

The original Xbox simply doesn't have the horsepower for anything newer, and most certainly would choke hard on .150.

I supposed more recents Coinops versions included a .150 core when i saw this screenshot (the splash screen): http://abload.de/img/nwm0bqxqsaz.jpg

maybe i misunderstood it. Anyway, i saw Buggy Boy running decently on an Android tv stick MK808 (on Mame4droid, Mame 0.139 based), It could be interesting trying a recent Mame version on a old pentium 3 class pc (comparable to the Xbox cpu) and see how it runs.

Edited by letmealone

I supposed more recents Coinops versions included a .150 core when i saw this screenshot (the splash screen): http://abload.de/img/nwm0bqxqsaz.jpg

maybe i misunderstood it. Anyway, i saw Buggy Boy running decently on an Android tv stick MK808 (on Mame4droid, Mame 0.139 based), It could be interesting trying a recent Mame version on a old pentium 3 class pc (comparable to the Xbox cpu) and see how it runs.

I looked at adding support for Buggy Boy to MAMEoXtras a while back basically it needed a CPU Core updated on top of porting the driver, video, machine, Src files then a whole new

sound core alotta work which i was prepaired to plod away at problem was the code being from newer MAME126 was not compatable with the MAME84 Core which MAMEoXtras

uses so it needed to be done by someone with more coding experience than me IQ_132 for example

For talking sake the general consensus was that Tatsumi games wouldn't run too well on the xbox however when i added the Tatsumi driver from MAME88 the games all played

well enough although only Round Up 5 Super Delta Force a sorta Chase HQ rip off was fully working anyway i reackon Buggy Boy if ported to the older MAME84 Xbox MAME Core

would play fine as it's an even older Tatsumi game than Round Up 5 etc etc

but since the only fella who could doesn't have the time or desire to do so i guess we'll never know for sure :wink:

Edited by gamez fan

That splash screen says 1.50, however MAME 1.50 has never existed. Maybe he meant 0.150, but who can be sure what he means?

I think he means MAME 0.150 although i cant see in CoinOPS/Vision if it's being used for anything currantly..???