Dell Laptop problems

Bambi

Ok I have an older Dell Laptop from 2011 and when it starts ALL process's stop running. It's not a virus its the laptop itself.

Is there a way to re-install windows and get it running again. Theirs no files on it so re-formatting it wont bother me.

What OS? If you were running 8.1 you have a recovery partition. Here's a link directly to microsofts kbase on doing so with 8.0+ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

If you are running any other version of Windows you most likely will not have a recovery partition. Another thing you can do which has helped me in the past is booting into safemode which your computer can be forced into. Safemode itself is worthless other than shutting off all processes.

The technique I'm going to tell you can cause serious issues so make sure you follow it exactly. Please ask any questions if you don't understand.

This process works on windows xp, vista, and 7.

Once you have booted into safemode (press f8 before the windows loading screen) if F8 doesn't work (some computers are configured differently) try F10. Then

Once the computer has fully booted press the Start Button and use the microsoft search function.

windowssearchfield_zps470009c6.png

You will then want to type in msconfig.

Once the program has loaded you will see a console just like this:

MSCONFIG_zps6d5b9356.png

Simply move to the startup tab and hit disable all. Then hit OK. Once it disappears you will be asked to restart the computer. Viola. If this doesn't work then you are better off reformatting. As for a way to do so, unless you have the dell reformat/recovery disk you wont be able to really do much. If you are open to a new operating system, I would suggest Ubuntu, its pretty fun to use and its free. There's even a way to install it onto a USB to install on the laptop.

The problem with dells is that its set up to break down, they load so much junk on the computers that it causes issues like these.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hey, I tryed to restart the process's but gave up after the laptop froze. It was a win 7 home premium OS.

I ended up just reformatting everything and fresh install of win 7. No problems yet but it's a dell so fingers crossed.

Did you use an actual windows disc or a recovery disk? The recovery disk will just cause everything to happen again because of all the preloaded softwares.

fresh install works best, plus windows 7/8 shove all your old stuff in to one folder once it boots up.

Yeah it did that to me, windows.old folder. I thought it was going to erase everything.

fresh install works best, plus windows 7/8 shove all your old stuff in to one folder once it boots up.

Yeah it did that to me, windows.old folder. I thought it was going to erase everything.

Thats the one.

I formatted the shit out of my drive during windows install, obviously if you do that you wont get that "old windows" folder,

you clciked the fuck out of those screens bambi

I understand, I'm new to the laptop repairing. I've used it to broadcast on twitch so I guess the good news is I have a cam for my broadcasts now!

Do you guys think there would be a ISO on the torrents to do a clean format, I only ask cause I don't want the problems to come back.

Bambi,

If you have the files in windows.old they wont affect your new operating system, you should be perfectly fine. Just run defrag and chkdsk from the run command panel and you will fix any OS issues/speed problems.