Making money - whats worked for you?

You're lucky you can get places that cheap.

Here it is simply not possible to get even the most wrecked house for under half a million dollars. The property market here is just insane.

The only way to get something at a decent price is to buy something away from this city.

You east or west coast?

Housing prices are completely out of reach for anyone not breaking into the middle class bracket in the UK.

If you are skint in the UK at the moment, thats pretty much how its staying.

I was happy to plod on, but since my kid came in to the equation I have to start being productive.

I'm on the east coast. There's only one city on the west coast.

Perth.

Is land expensive in Australia? You have quite a lot of it!

If land is expensive Id say the game is rigged over there so only the already wealthy can nail it.

Inner city houses in "rough" areas are cheap, well fairly cheap anyway.

I have no chance of getting on the ladder any time soon though, but if i had the cash (30k) I think I could multiply it by two within a year.

in the cities it is expensive, as I mentioned earlier. But in the country, it is better although I have not looked at ads for a long time. I saw today you can buy 110 acres for $139,000 out at Bathurst, which is an afternoon's drive from Sydney. It's an entire hill, and is green (not a desert). Nice view, no house though. However I'm sure there lots of better prices out there if one takes the time to look.

In Sydney, the inner city areas are in high demand because its close to work. So, the "rough" areas are becoming safer, because the poor cannot afford to live there.

I live in a small town right now, and work at Honda Canada MFG for an internal contractor doing mechanical maintenance which is local for me. I bought my house 6 years ago, and not only are house prices stupid here so are property taxes. I have a 20x110' lot with a 1200sqft townhouse and I pay $2100 a year in property taxes on an estimated value of $218000(Could sell for that too). If I sell and move an hour north of here, I can get a 3 acre piece of land with a 2600sqft house for the same money, and 40% lower taxes.

If you live in a big city, I have no sympathy for you...move. I so get sick of hearing from people that live in Toronto, that complain house prices are so high. Duh, you're in a crowded ass city where there's 5 potential buyers for every house EASY. Supply and demand.

Australia's immigration policy is fucking awesome.

lol

When are you moving here? I can guarantee you will get a job with your qualifications.

Just leave the baggage behind.

Australia's immigration policy is fucking awesome.

lol

When are you moving here? I can guarantee you will get a job with your qualifications.

Just leave the baggage behind.

Id love to mate, but I have a common assault on my record that isnt spent yet. (another two years and I might be able to get in)

I also have my son to look after in the UK, I wouldnt like to be far away from him.

Would be a nice dream though to live in australia for a few years though, working and contributing to the place.

I bet you can hitch a motoX bike up to a trailer, head out into the sticks and just ride all day and not get bothered by the cops.

Most certainly, as soon as I have the little things around here that need fixed/done completed, and when I save some more cash up. Costs money to do all of it, including sell and move.