Do any of you guys use the "cloud" for backing up files?

Alpha

I was baffled when the word "cloud" became so popularized in 2012. Everyone continues to and is now skydriving, dropboxing, etc. all the files on their PC to the Internetz. Soon enough we find out the Internet is totally being spied on and (not to mention the continuous concern of regular sites getting hacked since the infancy of the Internet) makes you think why anyone would put their personal files online? Can you really trust these companies with their "security" and "encryption" of your files? To make matters worse, Windows 8.1 by default has cloud integration deeply ingrained into the OS (see here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2111442/how-to-disable-windows-8s-deep-cloud-integration-piece-by-piece.html).

So seeing as I know we have a pretty computer savvy user base here -- do any of you actually backup your personal files online? It would be cool to have a truly safe solution for non-local backups of files.

I would never do that. Not sure what your media has told you, but here we are informed that anything on a cloud would be looked at by American spies. Not that I've anything to hide, but you can't trust the bastards.

I have an external HDD so I don't bother with the cloud. Seems like a fad (Anyone remember carbonite? nope).

If I want to access my files at a friends place I bring it on a Thumb drive.

I use Google Drive to share documents between my devices without having to plug them in and transfer files. Pretty helpful for reading comics on my tablet. I also like using it to save particular files that I may need to have access to outside of the house, such as documents I've saved from school, or codes to sync authenticators, etc.

My entire business runs off of cloud computing/storage. Having the ability to access this information from any computer (even on a vacation or at a library if i'm out) has made a big difference. It does have a certain level of risk to it I suppose as any one with some knowledge in hacking may be able to access it, and the fact that once its on the internet it will always be there.

Just don't put anything you wouldn't want your kids to see.

Cloud storage for save games on the PS3 is one of the driving reasons for me to have a PlayStation Plus subscription every now and then. I can use it to back up copy protected saves, which is a more than welcome feature. This also saved me a lot of grief when my profile got corrupted.

Other than this, I don't use any cloud services.