The Internet is congested with shock-factor BS

Alpha

It's a shame what the Internet has become in the year 2014. I have stopped counting how many shock factor videos and blogs I have ran into online. All these top 50 countdowns, prank videos, and obvious bullshit that keeps getting the people to successfully watch or partake in this trivial nonsense. So many message boards have died (glad we're still here! toast!) and as a result have led us to create virtual extensions of ourselves at the expense of our anonymity, privacy, and most of all -- our unfiltered word. I will always miss the past, but I also realize how wonderful, and rare a place like 1Emulation truly is. A place that still holds die hard members (some for nearly over a decade) that still share their life stories and can do so freely without persecution, prejudice, or thinking if I should have said this or that. Do you agree? Disagree? Agree to disagree? Would love to know! :-D

Anyway, it's been a while since I posted a thread. My goal is to a post a new thread and news post a day. If I can do that, it will really help this place out, and I encourage you all to do the same if at all possible. :-)

Nah, it's turned into a Twitter-tard ridden wasteland, full of "Selfie" picture taking idiots that don't realize nobody else is paying attention to them, because they're too busy taking their own "Selfie". But they have 5000 "Friends"...who couldn't take their picture for them.

Newsflash...Twitter sucks, 30 years ago someone taking "Selfies" all the time would be put in a straight jacket, and you aren't anywhere near as important as you think!

I've actually become quite bored with the internet in general, the average IQ MUST have dropped 20 points in the last 3-5 years, and I'm starting to agree with the tinfoil hat wearers that we're all fucking DOOMED.

#social
#yolo

#shootmeintheface

I remember when TV commercials used to make sense ... now we have segments about skittlespox, and the world more interested in how Justin Bieber acts during a legal hearing than they do about much else. Twitter, unfortunately, has become reinforced by Hollywood as it's a way for free self-advertisement by people who work in the entertainment industry. I strictly use g+ but I'm afraid that service too will become inundated with mindless dribble from those who hop the trend bandwagon faster than an HIV outbreak. So I agree, the internet has become its own worst enemy in some ways, but it's better than being censored the way the Communist and Islamic governments deal with freedom of information.

I am glad too that this place remains, although it could use some activity other than posting to cement this community.

Do we have an #irc channel? :msnoh:

#social
#yolo

#shootmeintheface

I remember when TV commercials used to make sense ... now we have segments about skittlespox, and the world more interested in how Justin Bieber acts during a legal hearing than they do about much else. Twitter, unfortunately, has become reinforced by Hollywood as it's a way for free self-advertisement by people who work in the entertainment industry. I strictly use g+ but I'm afraid that service too will become inundated with mindless dribble from those who hop the trend bandwagon faster than an HIV outbreak. So I agree, the internet has become its own worst enemy in some ways, but it's better than being censored the way the Communist and Islamic governments deal with freedom of information.

I am glad too that this place remains, although it could use some activity other than posting to cement this community.

What is G+? Never heard of it. And yeah, pretty much agree with everything you said, but sadly it's not just Hollywood anymore. It's a new generation of self-entitled people who think they are famous. And I mean, why they shouldn't if they starred in a few short films or posed their ass or tits in a few modeling shots, while gaining a huge following?

And we use to have an IRC channel for many years. I'm not sure I would be a proponent on reviving it though only because I always felt that it took away from activity here on the forums. What do you think?

Nah, it's turned into a Twitter-tard ridden wasteland, full of "Selfie" picture taking idiots that don't realize nobody else is paying attention to them, because they're too busy taking their own "Selfie". But they have 5000 "Friends"...who couldn't take their picture for them.

Newsflash...Twitter sucks, 30 years ago someone taking "Selfies" all the time would be put in a straight jacket, and you aren't anywhere near as important as you think!

I've actually become quite bored with the internet in general, the average IQ MUST have dropped 20 points in the last 3-5 years, and I'm starting to agree with the tinfoil hat wearers that we're all fucking DOOMED.

To be fair, I have seen quite a few people with big followings have friends tag and take pictures of them, but sadly none of them are truly "famous". It's sad because a lot of this is truly not realistic, and, as a result, we get massive ego inflations, and just all-around jackasses roaming the streets. Most of all, he/she will probably believe he/she is more valuable and worthy than every other human on this planet.

#social

#yolo

#shootmeintheface

What is G+? Never heard of it. And yeah, pretty much agree with everything you said, but sadly it's not just Hollywood anymore. It's a new generation of self-entitled people who think they are famous. And I mean, why they shouldn't if they starred in a few short films or posed their ass or tits in a few modeling shots, while gaining a huge following?

And we use to have an IRC channel for many years. I'm not sure I would be a proponent on reviving it though only because I always felt that it took away from activity here on the forums. What do you think?

g+ as in google+, my friend. And yes, I agree there is no shortage of pretentious young people nowadays who think much of themselves because of YouTube partnerships and Twitter. I mean ... it literally becomes a source of income for them, and while I admire those who have talent such as singers or musicians to put themselves out there in a competitive industry, giving back to the community is just as important since it's the community that inflated their egos to begin with.

I just watched this a little white ago and thought it relevant:

As for an irc channel, I suppose you have a point that it detracts from activity here, which would be a shame. We need a group project or something we can all get involved in to get things going, y'know? And not necessarily for gaming, although I have no qualms about that either lol. :lookaround:

#social

#yolo

#shootmeintheface

g+ as in google+, my friend. And yes, I agree there is no shortage of pretentious young people nowadays who think much of themselves because of YouTube partnerships and Twitter. I mean ... it literally becomes a source of income for them, and while I admire those who have talent such as singers or musicians to put themselves out there in a competitive industry, giving back to the community is just as important since it's the community that inflated their egos to begin with.

I just watched this a little white ago and thought it relevant:

As for an irc channel, I suppose you have a point that it detracts from activity here, which would be a shame. We need a group project or something we can all get involved in to get things going, y'know? And not necessarily for gaming, although I have no qualms about that either lol. :lookaround:

Oh gosh, this son of a bitch (excuse my French), Mr. Fousey... I've seen quite a few of his vids and they are all utter bullshit. He adds his sentimental music in the background, dresses up like he's Martin Luther King, and does these "experiments", which are utterly ridiculous, and sometimes even at the risk of others being scarred for life (see the bullying and kidnapping videos he's done).

None of these experiments are anyway near scientific and are greatly flawed. A homeless kid walking on the street like that will most likely only raise one alarm in someone's head and that's "SCAM!!"

Crap like this needs to be banned from YouTube. Of course, he's probably getting thousands of dollars because everyone signs up and watches more of it for their daily entertainment. He's not fighting for any cause except his wallet. All of it is disgusting.

As they say, all you need is a few dumb people to make you famous. Indeed, he has done just that.

I dunno, his yoga pants video is pretty funny lol ... but seriously, one does wonder if his stuff does more to hurt than help, or the opposite.

I for one, considering where I live, have seen homelessness since birth and the hobos that live here are on an order of magnitude that is sad and unavoidable. But I don't think I have ever seen a homeless child since they would likely be in the foster care system or an orphanage.

I know there are tens of thousands of homeless kids in third world countries outside of the U.S. though, which is the unfortunate reality of poverty. I recently had to cancel my monthly UNHCR subscription because I am trying to move out soon, and wish I didn't have to. And I know I give homeless people a few bucks here and there more than most people I know. The only issue I have — and I am not racist although I may be profiling — is when African American homeless people approach me, they never seem to even try looking thankful or appreciative, but act pushy and almost expect a handout simply because they seem to be a transient. It is rather annoying.

Anyway, homelessness is a social disease — not unlike leprosy — that a lot of people choose to ignore. It is hard to help the type of people who end up on the streets too because of addiction, mental health problems, etc.

Speaking of the internet being useful ... for you Xbox 360 owners, I recently came across this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/01/zoo-tycoon-chooses-first-community-challenge-microsoft-to-donat/?ncid=rss_truncated

Zookeeper Tycoon is now online and Microsoft will donate $10,000 to animal conservation each time chosen community challenges are completed by players! I wish the game was out for PC. :sad:

Edited by veristic