Welcome to 2014!

Alpha

bring arcade system back. bored with the FAS already :P i missed the time we try to outdo each others in the arcade ranking board in each games :-D

If I bring the arcade back... a few years later you're going to ask to change the forum rules back pre-2005. :lol:

bring arcade system back. bored with the FAS already :P i missed the time we try to outdo each others in the arcade ranking board in each games :-D

If I bring the arcade back... a few years later you're going to ask to change the forum rules back pre-2005. :lol:

I am still hoping for that ;) ROMs all the way!!!

I am still hoping for that :wink: ROMs all the way!!!

Well, you got archive.org now for the majority of that. They have the ability to take the risk, since they are a large non-profit organization. 1Emu on the other hand? Not gonna take the chance. :lol:

Honestly, I got to say that it is absolutely awesome you're a mortician. I find it quite on the mysterious side and furthermore -- it might actually work wonders for you with women. Of course, you would not tell them right away what your job is, but you would keep them guessing. Girls always like a guy who is dark on the outside, but soft on the inside. And also as a 1emu buddy, I got to say it's pretty cool to say to others I know someone who deals with dead bodies. Gnarly stuff dude!!

Thanks for the positive regard, dude. :) I am sure some women would find it intriguing and some would find it creepy lol. I have a girlfriend, though, who required some convincing before she let me join the program. I am also a pretty quiet individual who keeps to himself most of the time so that would only add to the "mystery" quality — I have even been called that by friends I made in the program lol.

People often ask why I would want to physically deal with corpses ... and I answer by saying that I don't do it because I want to (it is not glamorous in any way), but like many professions out there, we do it because somebody has to. We do so with a high regard for the decedent's dignity as a human being — there are even laws that prevent us from certain behavior around the remains of a deceased individual such as foul language and behavior or any treatment of the remains in an undignified manner and regard.

You would be surprised, however, by the type of people that show up when trying to enter the program. Today was actually the orientation for newly admitted, incoming 1st semester students to the program and a friend still attending who participated to speak to these new students told me (during their introductions) that ... and I quote: "I just like to cut stuff." There are no shortage of inappropriate types who show up to enter the field — and I say this thankfully — who don't usually last very long because of how academically rigorous it is to pass. It is not as difficult as advanced chemistry or mathematics, physics or some other specifically difficult subject, but it was the most difficult academic experience I have ever been through. Many friends and others I have known along the way have failed to pass semesters and are forced to repeat classes in order to pass or risk being denied re-entry in to the program. Some people I know have repeated on several occasions for not passing classes. It is statistically more difficult than undergraduate and even some graduate level programs and I knew plenty of people enrolled who had bachelor's and master's degrees say the same.

Anyway, the point of my comment is just to let people know that we are highly professional and the field is very rigorous for a reason; that is to make sure those individuals who are employed in the death care industry have the utmost regard for professionalism and ethics, which is essential to what we do. Since people are basically trusting us with their beloved family members who have died, it only makes sense.

Honestly, I got to say that it is absolutely awesome you're a mortician. I find it quite on the mysterious side and furthermore -- it might actually work wonders for you with women. Of course, you would not tell them right away what your job is, but you would keep them guessing. Girls always like a guy who is dark on the outside, but soft on the inside. And also as a 1emu buddy, I got to say it's pretty cool to say to others I know someone who deals with dead bodies. Gnarly stuff dude!!

Thanks for the positive regard, dude. :-) I am sure some women would find it intriguing and some would find it creepy lol. I have a girlfriend, though, who required some convincing before she let me join the program. I am also a pretty quiet individual who keeps to himself most of the time so that would only add to the "mystery" quality — I have even been called that by friends I made in the program lol.

People often ask why I would want to physically deal with corpses ... and I answer by saying that I don't do it because I want to (it is not glamorous in any way), but like many professions out there, we do it because somebody has to. We do so with a high regard for the decedent's dignity as a human being — there are even laws that prevent us from certain behavior around the remains of a deceased individual such as foul language and behavior or any treatment of the remains in an undignified manner and regard.

You would be surprised, however, by the type of people that show up when trying to enter the program. Today was actually the orientation for newly admitted, incoming 1st semester students to the program and a friend still attending who participated to speak to these new students told me (during their introductions) that ... and I quote: "I just like to cut stuff." There are no shortage of inappropriate types who show up to enter the field — and I say this thankfully — who don't usually last very long because of how academically rigorous it is to pass. It is not as difficult as advanced chemistry or mathematics, physics or some other specifically difficult subject, but it was the most difficult academic experience I have ever been through. Many friends and others I have known along the way have failed to pass semesters and are forced to repeat classes in order to pass or risk being denied re-entry in to the program. Some people I know have repeated on several occasions for not passing classes. It is statistically more difficult than undergraduate and even some graduate level programs and I knew plenty of people enrolled who had bachelor's and master's degrees say the same.

Anyway, the point of my comment is just to let people know that we are highly professional and the field is very rigorous for a reason; that is to make sure those individuals who are employed in the death care industry have the utmost regard for professionalism and ethics, which is essential to what we do. Since people are basically trusting us with their beloved family members who have died, it only makes sense.

Thanks for writing this all up! It was quite intriguing to read it. I am curious -- what about certain religious sects that deal with corpses? I am aware that the plots of land that Christians, Muslims, and Jews are buried tend to be separated and each denomination has its own ritual (if the body needs to be washed or cleansed in a certain way, etc.). So how do you deal with the religious stuff or does that happen after its in your hands?

I am glad the program is strenuous enough to eliminate a lot of the crazy types (i.e. the one you mentioned that likes cutting stuff).

^

Concerning different denominations, we are required to be educated in the majority of various religious faiths and sects including but not limited to many forms of Christianity such as Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, Baptists; Buddhists and Hindus; various types of Jewish faiths such as Reformed Jews, Conservative Jews and Orthodox Jews; Muslims and their different sects ... even Church of Christ Science and the military.

In saying so it is VERY important to know that Orthodox Jews and Muslims forbid certain death-related procedures such as cremation, embalming or autopsies unless required by law in certain situations. Heck ... Catholics didn't officially recognize cremation as an acceptable form of disposition until 1966 and even then ... as a devout Catholic, one is only allowed to bury cremated remains in a designated Catholic cemetery or recognized space and not placed on a mantle at home (not that people always listen). Other traditional rituals such as Jewish decedents requiring burial in an all wood casket and that they must have soil from Jerusalem placed in a pouch under their heads is also important to know. All these things they teach us in the program but in all honesty, there is so much to know and we cover such a wide range of topics involved in the field from Psychology to Accounting, to Business and Statutory Law and even Chemistry that having resources to turn to is important. Some of the textbooks I have from it are so specific they were made just for teaching students in these programs.

As for cemeteries/memorial parks, how they designate their lots, blocks, plots and graves are under their discretion since most are privately owned land (excluding those owned by the city or national cemeteries which are still maintained by the government) but you are right that most grave sites designate different sections of land for different religions and cater to their specific traditions, rituals and ceremonies.

Edited by veristic

^

Concerning different denominations, we are required to be educated in the majority of various religious faiths and sects including but not limited to many forms of Christianity such as Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, Baptists; Buddhists and Hindus; various types of Jewish faiths such as Reformed Jews, Conservative Jews and Orthodox Jews; Muslims and their different sects ... even Church of Christ Science and the military.

In saying so it is VERY important to know that Orthodox Jews and Muslims forbid certain death-related procedures such as cremation, embalming or autopsies unless required by law in certain situations. Heck ... Catholics didn't officially recognize cremation as an acceptable form of disposition until 1966 and even then ... as a devout Catholic, one is only allowed to bury cremated remains in a designated Catholic cemetery or recognized space and not placed on a mantle at home (not that people always listen). Other traditional rituals such as Jewish decedents requiring burial in an all wood casket and that they must have soil from Jerusalem placed in a pouch under their heads is also important to know. All these things they teach us in the program but in all honesty, there is so much to know and we cover such a wide range of topics involved in the field from Psychology to Accounting, to Business and Statutory Law and even Chemistry that having resources to turn to is important. Some of the textbooks I have from it are so specific they were made just for teaching students in these programs.

As for cemeteries/memorial parks, how they designate their lots, blocks, plots and graves are under their discretion since most are privately owned land (excluding those owned by the city or national cemeteries which are still maintained by the government) but you are right that most grave sites designate different sections of land for different religions and cater to their specific traditions, rituals and ceremonies.

So fascinating. So I'm guessing for every cadaver you work with that it's extremely important to first know the religious denomination, correct? What if he/she is atheist -- is there a specific protocol for that as well?

So fascinating. So I'm guessing for every cadaver you work with that it's extremely important to first know the religious denomination, correct? What if he/she is atheist -- is there a specific protocol for that as well?

Right. If a person is Athiest then they will likely have a Humanistic funeral service which is devoid of religious connotation, and possibly an adaptive type of service that is catered to their will or families desires to have meaningful ceremony; i.e. you sometimes hear in the news how a person who died was buried in a custom casket that resembles a car, that person may have been a devout car enthusiast and so an adaptive service would cater to his love of that by having car memorabilia or other related aspects involved. And it does not necessarily have to be non-traditional to be adaptive.

Here's a photo of a man who was embalmed sitting on top of his motorcycle as an example (he is 100% dead):

bike.jpg

Also, just for clarification; legally speaking a cadaver is specifically a dead human body for the purposes of medical study and education. Any other dead human remains is technically a "corpse." :)