Is MAME and all its roms now legal? (full set is on Archive.org)

Alpha

Just noticed one of the most reputable sites in the world is now hosting the full MAME roms set, including all the CHDs. It's archive.org ("Internet Archive") -- a.k.a. the Internet Encyclopedia. Since when did this happen? Check it out: http://archive.org/details/messmame. Apparently, it's part of their Internet Archive Software Collection: http://archive.org/details/software.

Someone please fill me in on how this is possible?! How and when did this start? :huh:

More info on Archive.org: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Archive

Not, as many are still sold in various digital stores.

These additions might've been led by the belief it becomes fair game to share after more than a year passed after the expiration of commercial exploitation on the original machine. Additionally, as the ROMs are essentially the same whenever they have been archived, other than absent ownership controls, whether its archived now or later will make little difference.

The mame licence only specifies that mame cannot be distributed with roms included (i.e., one package). Mame itself has always been legal, emulators are legal.

Some countries may find what archive.org are doing to be illegal but there's nothing they can do about it.

When did it start? It came to mamedev's attention only about a week ago, but no rules or conditions are being broken.

The only question remains is if you yourself have any problem with it. If so, don't go there.

The mame licence only specifies that mame cannot be distributed with roms included (i.e., one package). Mame itself has always been legal, emulators are legal.

Some countries may find what archive.org are doing to be illegal but there's nothing they can do about it.

When did it start? It came to mamedev's attention only about a week ago, but no rules or conditions are being broken.

The only question remains is if you yourself have any problem with it. If so, don't go there.

Hmmm... this is very fascinating. An exploitation of a gray area in U.S. law that we were not aware of? Archive.org is based in the USA.

Do you have a link to the MameDev thread?

On the internal mailing list. And no, I can't elaborate.

I just e-mailed the uploader from Archive.org to hopefully get some answers. This may change the emulation scene forever if suddenly MAME ROMs and CHDs have been deemed legal by U.S. law. I'll keep you guys updated.

I just e-mailed the uploader from Archive.org to hopefully get some answers. This may change the emulation scene forever if suddenly MAME ROMs and CHDs have been deemed legal by U.S. law. I'll keep you guys updated.

yeah, have a ROM section again :P

yeah, have a ROM section again :P

Hahaha... well, I am linking to the goodies from archive.org in the original post. I just get the wild feeling they know something we don't about the legalities. Don't forget though, this is only MAME we're talking about here.