Fuck this, I won't be buying the PS4 or 720.

Alpha

With the announcement on the Playstation 4 and rumors on the XBOX 720, I have concluded that I'm not going to buy anymore gaming consoles. What's the point? Literally, all the glamorous FPS games that are exclusive to each console feels the same to me (at least game play wise). We got to pay a huge premium just for the console itself when a lot of these games historically release for the PC. Any cool fighting game by Capcom tends to come on the PC sooner or later too. And for some of us who own a PS3, why even consider the PS4 right away when most of the games will be released for both consoles (as they did for PS2 and PS3)? Lastly, PS4 will not have backwards compatibility for PS3 or PS2 games.

There's been a lot of rumors that the PS4 will incorporate a swap-able GPU and/or motherboard. This to me is the biggest HELL NO for a guy who's been buying game consoles since Atari. Seriously? That makes me think that a few years down the road we have to upgrade our GPU (like the memory expansion pak for the N64) to play certain games? Fuck that. I'll stick with my PC, thank you very much. It's crap like this that makes me question if companies like Sony are trying to make the consumer life easier or just put more money in their pockets? Oh yeah, one last thing about the PS4... why in the blue hell does it not incorporate 4K playback disc support? Instead we got this 4K online B.S. (100+ GB movie? you're going to suffocate my Cable box).

Furthermore, there's also been a lot of chatter on the XBOX 720 (Code name?) that it won't allow the ability for people to play used games on them. Again, what the fuck? Why are they trying to take over consumer rights now? Has greed taken over the minds of these companies? How is this at all helpful for the end-gamer?

It's the end of an era folks. Wii U is dead... who's next?

My sources:

Rumor on GPU Swapping: http://www.tomshardw...-gpu,20049.html

PS4 - The Full Story: http://www.computera...d-release-date/

XBOX 720 DRM:

http://www.policymic...-physical-disks

http://www.extremete...-720-used-games

I stopped caring about consoles after I realized my PS3 was a wasted purchase. I've used it for a couple of games (FFXIII and MGS4 being the only 2 I can recall). Every other game I've played for the past few years have been on my PC and that probably won't change with the release of both these consoles either.

I am interested in seeing the direction that other projects might go in (OUYA/Steambox) but I doubt I'll ever purchase them due to their ridiculous underpowered specs or overpricing parts. A modulated system where you can swap parts (if done right) sounds like a dream come true. It will take away all the hassles that come with building and upgrading a real machine but I doubt the price will ever justify it.

Consoles only look appealing if your young and your parents can afford them (the real price for some of these games are ridiculous when you start counting DLC, even on PC), if you have a real machine I doubt 1 or 2 exclusives will pull you in.

DLC and shitty games both tied in with the 360 and PS3.

Last generation is mostly suck.

Thats why I always stuck with the PC.

They are closing in.

When DLC started being dished out I knew something was wrong.

And these dicksplats lapped it up.

PS4 will not have backwards compatibility for PS3 or PS2 games

Officially or not, it definitely will for PS2 at least, just perhaps not at release.

I lost all enthusiasm for Xbox720 on the other hand. Crazy stuff we're talking about here, when the PS4 will apparently be the far better option this time with its PS+ programme.

Edited by Hard Core Rikki

PS4 will not have backwards compatibility for PS3 or PS2 games

Officially or not, it definitely will for PS2 at least, just perhaps not at release.

I lost all enthusiasm for Xbox720 on the other hand. Crazy stuff we're talking about here, when the PS4 will apparently be the far better option this time with its PS+ programme.

What makes you think it's going to support PS2 games? Mind you... when I say PS2 and PS3 backward compatibility, I mean the game discs themselves. I'm well aware that the next version of PSN for the PS4 will probably include games from the older systems to purchase again.

Oh yeah, and what's PS+?

What makes you think it's going to support PS2 games?

Sony needs the extra revenue from PSN digital sales (including PS1, PS2 titles), at least so players keep paying for Playstation+ gold subscriptions. PS3 would not be viable for obvious reasons, plus games would not be download-friendly.

Mind you... when I say PS2 and PS3 backward compatibility, I mean the game discs themselves. I'm well aware that the next version of PSN for the PS4 will probably include games from the older systems to purchase again.

Firmware upgrades will likely introduce the functionalty, to not harm the launch window titles. Cant say about discs but DVDs should still play fine, its CDs that I hear are scheduled for blocking (potentially ruling out PS1 discs).

PS4 is still PC-based. One way or another, maybe PCSX2 could run on that (AMD sells the PS4 CPU/GPU separately though without Sony-specific bits).

Oh yeah, and what's PS+?

Sony's Xbox Live Gold programme.

Its biggest differentiation is it includes free access to select games every month, which you can keep for as long as you stay subscribed (you can also buy them at a discount to keep them).

This is a great deal for people who dont buy many games or live in countries where Sony doesnt sell physical copies of games (like Nigeria), and a good gift idea when coupled with a PS3 since its just the cost of one game, yet for a yearly 50$, you can play lots of titles.

PS4 will support PS1 and 2...just you'll have to pay for them again on their store in digital form only!

Which is the most fucked up thing ever. This should be illegal that people who already have bought the physical copy of the game will have to purchase the digital copy to play it on their new system.

And companies wonder why piracy is such a rampant problem....

Sony's latest way of providing "backward compatibility" by forcing use of Gaikia's streaming service isnt one. I find it highly offensive when it gets called "backward compatibility" when it is not at all. Following that logic, Livestream, Geforce Grid and VNC provided "backward compatibility" with every console since a decade.

Sony's biggest problem comes from recreating the OS every few years, unlike Android which maintains forward compatibility and encourages players to upgrade their mobiles without fearing to lose their apps and games for that generation (any game bought since Android 2.3 will work fine on 4.2 without needing 4.0 and 4.1 "emulated"). Hardware refreshes are only OK when the OS remains stable and your purchases and savegames bound to your account.

Imagine the outrage and effect on the ecosystem is you had to rebuy your entire library of apps and games everytime you get a more recent smartphone. People would stop bothering buy new mobiles if they were locked into their current gen's.

Kinda nonsensical Sony still isnt realizing that's how it has to fight iOS and Android.