How to Install CoinOps 4?

flacnvinyl

I apologize in advance for the question. New to this forum but have been on the Xbox/cm forums for years.. Can someone point me to a good tutorial on doing a complete CoinOps 4 install? I have a softmod but have never installed a custom hd. Feel free to pm me. I am certain that this is a ridiculous question to many of you. This is just new territory to me! Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi flacnvinyl & welcome to the forum :)

I've put your question into its own thread.

I don't have an xbox so cannot answer your question but i'm sure someone will be along shortly.

There's a newbie guide to installing coinops 3, I guess its probably done the same way. According to it, you need to hook your pc to your xbox and set up FTP. Also your xbox needs to be modded.

As CoinOps is quite large, you will need to have installed a bigger than normal hard drive. Then just FTP the CoinOps files over from the PC to xbox F drive.

The newbie guide stops there, but I suppose you just launch the xbe file and set up things to the way you like.

A "complete" CoinOPS install won't fit on a stock HDD. So you're either going to have to think about upgrading to a bigger drive or you could go for one of the 'standalone' or 'lite' versions of CoinOPS that have been released. I'm not sure of the difference between them; there are way too many different releases of CoinOPS for me to keep up with, but hopefully someone with more knowledge can help there.

Wait wait wait... is it possible to play CoinOps outside of the Xbox??

I currently have a softmodded Xbox and am familiar with ftp and all that. Used to have tons of scripts for xmbc. I tried one of the numerous lite versions and loved it so much that I now want to go ahead with installing a larger hd and the latest full version of CoinOps.

TBH dont know if its possible as ive never tried it maybe you could have coinops standalone and stream a full roms and vids set from your

PC or whatever storage method you use to your xbox coinops install

see below topic

Edited by gamez fan

Wait wait wait... is it possible to play CoinOps outside of the Xbox??

i don't see why you'd want to play coinops outside the xbox? coinops is basically mameox (a much older xbox mame emu based on mame .084) with a couple bells and whistles. i'd suggest hyperspin instead if your going the pc route.

I currently have a softmodded Xbox and am familiar with ftp and all that. Used to have tons of scripts for xmbc. I tried one of the numerous lite versions and loved it so much that I now want to go ahead with installing a larger hd and the latest full version of CoinOps.

i think the newer coinops has the abilty to network the roms without needing to actually have them on your xbox though... i'm not a 100% sure. but installing a larger hard-drive into your xbox never hurt. besides you can add all the other emu's for the xbox too.

Edited by destronger

well im sure he will get it sorted now :-) on the offical site

I joined over there a few days ago solely to ask for help in prepping my xbox for Coinops 4. Received no help. Several responses, but no help. Glad to have found YOUR forum where YOU spend your time. Would rather hear it straight from you than 3rd parties anyways..

I have a softmodded xbox, standard hd. No experience with the lock/unlock HD stuff. So now I'm scouring the threads attempting to find a tutorial. I downloaded a 'lite' version of Coinops 4, loved it, and now I want the real deal.

I am absolutely blown away by CoinOps. This is a dream come true.

Edited by gamez fan

oh... so several days to this new guy is actually a few hours/1 day depending on what part of the planet you live on. his post here is time stamped.

we did answer some questions here but i guess he/she needs to get a 'fix' right away. i hope he/she enjoys the constant roller coaster that is included with coinops. the mind numbing psychedelic bad trip of not living in the real world... and the locks.

flacnvinyl

Post subject: Re: Id like to play in CO5

<a href=http://coinfloppysproject.freeforums.org/post12249.html#p12249>icon_post_target.pngPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:18 pm icon_user_offline.png

This probably sounds crazy but... Sega Saturn games??

The emulators currently out there are pretty rough for Sega Saturn, but the Saturn had some gems. Would love to play some Panzer Dragoon, Nights, so forth...

this guy seems to fit the mold of a bp minion.

Edited by destronger

we did answer some questions here but i guess he/she needs to get a 'fix' right away. i hope he/she enjoys the constant roller coaster that is included with coinops. the mind numbing psychedelic bad trip of not living in the real world... and the locks.

i54yzn.jpg

we were somewhere around barstow when the drugs started to take HOLD

Edited by gamez fan

@Robert - You said you didn't have an Xbox but then went on to describe some of the basics of softmodding. I probably misread your post, but I thought you were interfering that you played CoinOps on your PC. I have zero interest in playing CoinOps on any other system. I still love the big controllers.

My first and second post both said that I have already softmodded my Xbox but that I have not delved into installing a custom hard drive.

I apologize for saying 'a couple of days ago'. I edit video for a living and have literally been sleeping in my studio finishing projects. So yes, you are spot on and my memory on time is way off. I'm surprised by my own impatience so if you can give me some grace on that it would be cool.

I got a pm shortly after joining the other site that explained a bit about all the craziness surrounding CoinOps. Sounds like the Xbox dev world turned into a soap opera. Reminds me of the crazy code stuff that went down when CM was working on hacking the Touchpad.

So at this point I guess I just need to install a big harddrive (read about locks last night too) and then download CoinOps. If you have any hd suggestions feel free to let me know.

I will do my best to get sleep and be patient.

@Robert - You said you didn't have an Xbox but then went on to describe some of the basics of softmodding. I probably misread your post, but I thought you were interfering that you played CoinOps on your PC.

I quoted this post --> http://www.1emulation.com/forums/topic/34115-installing-coinops-3-newbie-guide/page__view__findpost__p__353058

Never played CoinOps, the real MAME and MESS do enough for me.

If you read the rest of that thread, you'll see references to coinops being 'banished' etc. That is no longer the case, anyone can talk about it once again. Take a look through the other coinops threads and the coinops archive, there is a wealth of info in there. :)