Coinops 4 - How to disable Locks (run Arcade only)

Emu Newbie

If you've put together a successful standalone build then perhaps you could consider making it available for other users who are unable or don't wish to use the full locked release. Since there apparently isn't going to be an "official" standalone version then I don't think you'd be treading on any toes.

to be honest +T+ i dont feel like doin that as ive done no work on this emu its not mine to release plus i dont dislike BP i just couldnt follow the rules on his site nothing new in that ive had trouble following rules my whole life :) he has been good to me in the past quite a few times id really be stickin the knife in his back if i did this

so for the above reasons i WONT be releasing or sharing this out sorry folks

anyway on seperate note cant believe that some people actually think im in anyway to blame for the current situation regarding how coinops is released

ponder this topical point :)

all through history when human kind have come up against a brick wall or any obsticle they have always done their best to overcome it either by going over around or under it failing that they try and smash through it i guess what im sayin is it was obvious this was going to happen eg people would try and outwit the locks its human nature so rather than getting all upset about it maybe best just to accept that there was always gonna be someone who tried it

well ive made myself a coinops 4 standalone :-) using the 2 beta releases ive stripped out all the console cores the emulator is only 250mb now and im now gonna use emunewbies helpfull unlock file to get it working

thx alot emunewb for that helpfull file hmmmmmmmm what games to try 1st

BTW some might believe im doin this to to cause offence but no im just doin this cause i want to try out the mame72 games hope ya had these setup correctly

emunewbie :-)

hmm the save file is different for the beta after i loaded it i just swapped the files over i deleted the beta save and used emunewbies one although i did have to reneame it from acade444 to acade4aa

I didn't move around anything in the CO4 download (just deleted the games in the corresponding folders). CO4 is a fun emu (thumbs up to the development team). I hope the savefile exploit will enable many more users to enjoy the emulator.

it's a cool emu loads of console stuff been added since 3 its worth havin if your into consoles thats for sure i do like the new skins

im mostly 90% into the arcade side of coinops and it hands down beats any other out there for total games it can play but arcadewise it's my opinion that not an awful lot has been added since last release

TBH i wanted it for the new mame72 core just rampage world tour to have sound and play faster in mame side of things i do have a rip of rampage that plays perfect already i guess i would have added mk3 as well so without sounding ungrateful as i know alot of work has gone into this by a good few people im just gonna stick with my coinops 3 arcade only sunset version for good now cant see me upgrading ever agian same goes for all my emus im happy with what ive got

ach all this fuss and carry on just to try rampage world tour in coinops 4 i must be aff ma heid :)

steppin back for a while less postin more game playin startin with dark souls

but as big arnie says ill be back :D

• 3 weeks later...

it's a cool emu loads of console stuff been added since 3 its worth havin if your into consoles thats for sure i do like the new skins

im mostly 90% into the arcade side of coinops and it hands down beats any other out there for total games it can play but arcadewise it's my opinion that not an awful lot has been added since last release

TBH i wanted it for the new mame72 core just rampage world tour to have sound and play faster in mame side of things i do have a rip of rampage that plays perfect already i guess i would have added mk3 as well so without sounding ungrateful as i know alot of work has gone into this by a good few people im just gonna stick with my coinops 3 arcade only sunset version for good now cant see me upgrading ever agian same goes for all my emus im happy with what ive got

ach all this fuss and carry on just to try rampage world tour in coinops 4 i must be aff ma heid :-)

steppin back for a while less postin more game playin startin with dark souls

but as big arnie says ill be back :-D

If you release of CoinOPS 4 works fine, without lock and can be updated ... please release it or the "patch" ... I also like the BP work, but only for arcade games !

And the BETA of CoinOPS4 i have tested are locked too :(

i created a standalone using the betas but its locked i had to use emunewbies save file to get around the locks i only did this to see how rampage wt

played using the mame72 core in COP4 it didnt play well maybe it's been sorted now i dont know for sure

as for releasing it well ive stated above the reasons why idd never do that plus it's locked so no point really

anyway ive not got it anymore ive deleted it from my xbox and pc im back using COP3 sunset

but if you wanna make an arcade only COP4 standalone and release it yourself then wire in read my posts above there's info on how to create a version that would be fully operational as for updateable well who knows

Edited by gamez fan

• 4 weeks later...

Tried this method with CoinOps 4 R8.

Deleted everything, now there's a acade333 folder in UDATA/TDATA.

There's a udata and tdata folder too.

Replaced everything with the given files but it didn't work =/

Keep showing 1660 games on my list and I can't play the games.

I'm really considering moving to Final Burn Legends for the simple reason that it makes sense.

I can't remember in my entire live on the web something like an emulator with "locks"!

Imagine if you wanted to play Super Mario World on your Zsnes but you need, back in the 56k days, to download the entire SNES and Genesis library, or else Super Mario would not work. That's how CoinOps works.

I can't play Fatal Fury because I've deleted Sonic the Hedgehog.

This is beyond reason, beyond logic. I have no words for this.

Edited by fandangos

Cant anyone whos talented enough to make a "freedom" build if you will of CoinOPS or something based off MameoX? Hell combine FBL with MAME cores...make our own "CoinOPS". BP takes retail games, XBMC, and other emu builds and stuffs the shit out of it...how hard is that? Im having re-vert back to CO3 because CO4 dont work for shit...I recently updated to R8 (I have 3000+ games in mind) everytime I select a game it just goes back to the menu....Im like fandangos...its just idiotic to lock down your freedom and choices of emulators.

Edited by The Raincheck

I bet the line of code that rules on is in the beginning of MAMEoX.xbe. The "approved rom list" is in there.

You can see it with any hex editor.

The shit part is that most of the functions inside a xbe file are not visible this way. You need IDA Pro and that famous FLIRT file.

I bet that it would be an very elementary function If game count <= 3000 then STOP. 2 lines of code.

If anyone could look that in IDA Pro they could point the offset, we could search the HEX value that even if we can't see, we can alter.