Has anyone played Street Fighter x Tekken?

Alpha

Been seeing this game in the stores, but I don't feel like shelving my money for it. Anyone play it? How is it online?

The game looks fucking amazing and has been getting decent reviews (84 average for XBOX and PS3 on MetaCritic). I remember we had a 7 page thread here about Street Fighter x Tekken from 2 years ago with people debating and predicting how the game would turn out. Please share your final thoughts!!

IGN Review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sNJ76xvCc0

played it, it's tekken tag in 2d with projectiles

Is that a good thing or bad thing? Let's not forget we got a whole range of new characters here to play with...

And lastly, how's the online scene?

THe range means jack, the issue isnt the characters. There's something about the mechanics that just doesnt work for me, you could say it has a dash of teken tag in the matter of tag rules. THen you have sfiv style and look to it, and lastly you got a bit of mvc chaotic vibe.

Now all bleneded together you would think that's an awesome combo but it just doesnt work for me. Me and my friend was playing for about a month straight! THen after we started playing other games we couldnt back to it and in the end it just became...boring.

Fights werent rewarding whether you win or lose which is the exxact opposite of sfiv and mk11. To best describe it, it was an intersting toy but we got bored with it.

It's Street Fighter 4 with Tekken characters thrown it it while the fight rules are of Tekken Tag (2 person team. If 1 person dies then the team loses the round.) and the Marvel Super Heroes Infinity Gem system thrown in. As well as a Marvel vs Capcom 3 Dark Phoenix kinda thing that I've never used.

The game really only seems interesting seeing how the Tekken characters fair with Street Fighter mechanics. Though beating arcade with a Tekken team is a bitch thanks to overly powerful Akuma as a last boss (Ogre is the last boss if you have a SF team).

I played online for a little bit when it first came out. Me and a friend made a team. But we didn't know what the hell we were doing so we said fuck it.

I think it would of been better without the team and Pandora bullshit.

• 4 weeks later...

I just downloaded it, it's installing right now, hopefully it's good.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems to me almost every other combo ends in a launcher or switches my character. I've always always hated the 3 punch/ 3 kick system, incredibly unnecesarily complicated. The Tekken characters translate poorly into this system, I seem to remember tekken 3 using a 2punch/2kick system

• 1 month later...

Played it for a while. I was a pretty avid SSF4 player online and no slouch either. I've had my share of shittalking thrown at me for 'abusing' characters like Yun when he was first released by sore-losers. Coming from that into SFxT I can say it was different enough to pose a challenge for me who has played fighting games a lot. The Tekken side seemed to be more popular since their combo strings added more top-downs and high-low combinations that needed to be blocked accordingly. The one thing I couldn't get passed though is the netcode had a bug where the lag would cause the sound to simply not play out when hits would land for you or the opponant and it threw off my game with the slight latency and no hit confirm sounds... then I just got caught up doing other things. Figuring out complex tag juggles was pretty fun though.