The Midway Cores In Coinops 4

gamez fan

well i would have asked BritneysPAIRS himself on the chat board elseware but alas i could never follow the rules was just the same in school always gettin into trouble :-) well im sure someone will mention this post to him at some point or maybe not

anyway ive been thinking about the midway cores in coinops 4 and it's got me thinking in the FAQ's it states all midway roms must be roms midway folder or they might not load correctly these would be mamexb6 roms

mk

mk2

narc

nbajam

nbajamte

thing is there's now another midway core in this emu based on mame0.72 theres a few midways that will now play full speed with sound

using a added mame core now a few users and BP himself reakon mk2 plays better in mame0.72 im guesing here as i dont have the

release but to launch mk2 in mame 72 wouldnt you have to move it to romsmidway72 folder thereby removing it from romsmidway folder

would that not mess up the other midway games using mamexb6 with regards to how they load hmmmm might need to have 2 mk2 roms

one in romsmidway and the other in romsmidway72 to sort that of course BP might have already sussed that and added a fix

Edited by gamez fan

well, let's take fbl as a much easier example. we know that it has many different cores. however the roms are in all the same folder. (if that's the way you want it) the roms will only work if it's core is represented and targeted to that core. so bp can make a game run on any core he pleases if it works with that core. he makes all these folders for some odd reason. it may make sense to him.

Edited by destronger

Surely you just put the ROMs you want to run in the MAME-X core in the mamex folder and the ROMs you want to run in the MAMEoX0.72 core in the mame0.72 folder. I haven't used CoinOPS for a long time but I don't see why it would be otherwise.

Incidentally, in some testing I did a while ago I didn't notice any significant difference in MK2's performance between MAME-X b6 and MAMEoX 0.72. They both use basically the same driver and the performance issues are due to the Xbox hardware. Some Midway games do run on MAMEoX 0.72 though that don't run in MAME-X.

Does anyone know why the sound, particurally the annnouncer not in sync with the game. The announcer says names of players that aren't even playing in the current game and there is also other strange mistakes. I think that the newer versions of pcsxbox are the best way to play Nba Jam.

i find it funny actually when playing...

but the reason is that midway games could not be emulated well on the xbox when these were released. i don't know how well it's improved since then (mame .145 now) but i know that midway games have always been a hog when it comes to emulation. i don't know why bp has decided to emulate these. in coinops3 these were mainly just xbox ripped games. but then again he may have figured something out.

on a side note: why haven't these games been put into final burn? answer: the dev's of final burn aren't interested.

Surely you just put the ROMs you want to run in the MAME-X core in the mamex folder and the ROMs you want to run in the MAMEoX0.72 core in the mame0.72 folder. I haven't used CoinOPS for a long time but I don't see why it would be otherwise.

yes its that simple and you include the launch pointers in the roms folder and your set to go thing is there might be an issue if you remove mk2 from romsmidway folder and put it inside the romsmidway72 folder heres how

according to the coinops FAQS you need all 5 roms in romsmidway or you might find coinops will launch the wrong rom say you click narc you might get nbajam

this happened to me when i 1st set these games up in coinops 2 cause as im space saving alot i figured why have 2 nba jams that more or less play the same so i left tournament edtion out of the romsmidway and i had problems but hey presto put nbajamte back in and everything was sorted so that why i think if you shift mk2 across to romsmidway72 you might need to have another in romsmidway so narc etc will load correctly

i guess if a coinops 4 standalone is released at some point i could try this out an see

The problem with the announcer is due to the older driver, it isn't an Xbox-specific problem. There's nothing that can be done about it, without updating to a newer (slower) driver. I think even the latest MAMEoX driver had this issue.

according to the coinops FAQS you need all 5 roms in romsmidway or you might find coinops will launch the wrong rom say you click narc you might get nbajam

this happened to me when i 1st set these games up in coinops 2 cause as im space saving alot i figured why have 2 nba jams that more or less play the same so i left tournament edtion out of the romsmidway and i had problems but hey presto put nbajamte back in and everything was sorted so that why i think if you shift mk2 across to romsmidway72 you might need to have another in romsmidway so narc etc will load correctly

I see. Seems like a strange way to do things but fair enough. Although, if you have the MAMEoX0.72 core, I don't see why you would need to run any games in the MAME-X core. Performance should be about the same.

on a side note: why haven't these games been put into final burn? answer: the dev's of final burn aren't interested.

Every time you mention Midway games in Final Burn, iq_132 kills a kitten!

I see. Seems like a strange way to do things but fair enough. Although, if you have the MAMEoX0.72 core, I don't see why you would need to run any games in the MAME-X core. Performance should be about the same.

me and a few others recently tested a few midways it was to figure in which core the games would play best these are the results everyone kinda

agreed on there was a performance diff for sure on a stock xbox

mamexb6

mk

narc

nbajam

nbajam te

mame0.72

mk2

mk3

judge dredd

rampage world tour

umk3

wrestlemania

2on2 open ice challenge and nba hangtime never played well at all unless the mame0.72 core has been optimized since i played these

Edited by gamez fan

Every time you mention Midway games in Final Burn, iq_132 kills a kitten!

:o

on a side note... i have a new signature!!

Edited by destronger