Microsoft's next machine will attempt to thwart used games.

Jitway

January report says

Microsoft's next machine will attempt to thwart used games too. Even the new PS4 will be this way.

This is sure going to hurt companies like Gamefly and Gamestop if this is true. I think it is a bunch of crap. So if this is true and comes about you will never see me buying the new consoles. I feel if I buy a game used then I have the right to play it, hell I buy a lot of games used simply because I hate paying top dollar for a new game then find out it sucks or I hate it.

http://news.cnet.com...=news&tag=title Here is full story And some pne move this as I did not mean to post it here.

Edited by Jitway

It was suggested PS4 'Orbis' will try the same. Essentially games work fine on play, but to install on hdd, play online, allow downloading the game from PSN or similar, connecting to PSN with the account that unlocked that disc would be necessary, else some sort of online pass needs to be purchased.

All speculation for now, but details aside, consoles are going digital and obsoleteing discs and the used market.

All speculation for now, but details aside, consoles are going digital and obsoleteing discs and the used market.

This is beyond fucked up. I'm sick and tired of everything going download only. First it was the app store for Macs, then PSP, then PSVita... the hell with it. I want physical media and I don't want to have to rely on a modem to get the games I want to play. It's just screwing our ownership of everything. Soon you will see that just because you downloaded it and "purchased it", you still don't own it.

Plus, I don't know about you guys... but I get quite excited opening brand new games :lol:

• Like 2

Digital distribution is an inevitability and to be honest I don't even necessarily have a problem with it. Implementations like Apple's are actually relatively fair. They allow for use of any purchased apps on up to 5 machines and any machines you are not using can be easily deactivated. Unfortunately the console manufacturers haven't taken the same strategy and actually managed to turn it into a massive disadvantage. Considering how they are also interested in nothing but making money in the here-and-now I also can't wait to see how quick the online infrastructure of today's consoles is dumped when we move to the next generation. Sad to say, I don't think we'll be going back and playing any of today's great games 10 years down the line :(

I'm sure Sony won't mind charging us again for them though in their classics store.

Digital distribution is an inevitability and to be honest I don't even necessarily have a problem with it. Implementations like Apple's are actually relatively fair. They allow for use of any purchased apps on up to 5 machines and any machines you are not using can be easily deactivated. Unfortunately the console manufacturers haven't taken the same strategy and actually managed to turn it into a massive disadvantage. Considering how they are also interested in nothing but making money in the here-and-now I also can't wait to see how quick the online infrastructure of today's consoles is dumped when we move to the next generation. Sad to say, I don't think we'll be going back and playing any of today's great games 10 years down the line :sad:

I'm sure Sony won't mind charging us again for them though in their classics store.

BUt what does this say for prices!? ARe we still gonna eat the friggin $60? I guarantee we will, and that's just extra that doesnt have toe be wasted on Dvds, boxes, distribution to stores! MAYBE if they killed the price by 20 or 30 dollars but in the end! I WANT MY PHYSICAL SH**!

BUt what does this say for prices!? ARe we still gonna eat the friggin $60? I guarantee we will, and that's just extra that doesnt have toe be wasted on Dvds, boxes, distribution to stores! MAYBE if they killed the price by 20 or 30 dollars but in the end! I WANT MY PHYSICAL SH**!

Sadly I don't see prices dropping much. The closest thing we have ever seen for a price drop was when we transitioned from cartridges to optical media. For a short generation, we went from $60 to $50. They won't drop prices significantly as long as they can still sell the game. They will only drop prices when they can't sell it anymore. It's really awful how these companies are just using digital distribution and DLC as a way of raping their loyal customers.

A good example of how it could be done right would be Steam. The prices on most games are drastically lower than their boxed counterparts and for the most part the DRM scheme they use is fair. Why not make a service like that which people might actually enjoy?

Because keeping margins sucks, oldschool publishers want them multiplied. Getting rid of stores as middlemen and the overhead of unsold leftover is not good enough.

Retail will keep thriving to create installed userbases, with increasing amounts of DLC.

Take Steet Fighter X Tekken. Its dead obvious why they want to keep the 'Super edition' a DLC for content already on the disc: it brings more cash for capcom than having it separated into 2 retail games (cutting retailers from the second release completely, pocketing the difference), while still keeping it cheaper for both editions. and they can still charge extra for cosmetic DLC like costumes on top of it.

Edited by Hard Core Rikki

The reason why Capcom is able to pull off the crap that they're pulling, is because people still buy it, which is a problem in itself. For me I prefer to have hard copies, I feel like that's proof that I actually bought the game. For some reason to me, I think somewhere down the line, the internet will forget that I purchased a game, as odd as that sounds. Not to mention discs aren't indestructible themselves.