What happened to Direct Connect/DC++ ... is the network still alive/going?

Alpha

Well, we use to have a Direct Connect hub run by Magnis for many years... but I'm talking about the overall Direct Connect network and if anyone still uses it to share files? Also, to clarify, DC++ was just another client to download and use to connect to the network of hubs.

I still use DC every now and then to get some old, hard to find stuff, but BitTorrent took over several years ago. If you ask me, DC is on the fringe nowadays, but DC++ is still in active development. Ther are quite a few users on certain channels as well.

I hopped back on about 6 months ago, and it seemed like ass...all the big channels are invite only etc

Ever since the ICE raided everybody from "Underground Network" years ago... everybody got scared and fled Direct Connect. In all actuality though, Direct Connect is no more secure than uTorrent. It's still about the client and if you are using proxies, TOR, etc. I just don't get why the majority have truly forgotten this medium of file sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya as Alpha said Magnis and Me use to run the DC Hubs for 1Emulation. I had to stop running hubs because of the RIAA and MPAA. I got cease and desist letter finally after being threatin 5 times from being caught filesharing. Last letter I got was 21 pages long from all the shit I was sharing. I once thought about running a hub outside the USA since it is not as easy getting caught overseas. I miss the days of DC, mainly all the good chats I had with fellow filesharers. DC is still being used and quite popular outside the USA. I still visit a couple hubs of friends I have made over the years.