The DLC Era.... DISCUSS!

Shoma

you're starting to get it Shoma.

Its a rip off man.

I think you're from the generation of DLC - but you smell a turd!

Fight the good fight, your young and capable.

Im not sure about the genration of dlc, lol.

I grew up with the good ol sega genisis and snes back when i was young but I remember (around 15) gaming struck a new plateu when online became common, ergo XBL.

Maybe that makes me the dlc generation, if so i didnt know ^^

Never bought any, never plan to. I also won't pay the sickening prices for games new these days either, $60-$70 a game? Screw that noise...

so u dont buy new games at all?

ByTheWay, this whole Online Pass, is gonna become more common and more a piss in your face in the future.

Im not sure if online pass is considered a dlc but it's still a silly trial against used-game sales.

Never bought any, never plan to. I also won't pay the sickening prices for games new these days either, $60-$70 a game? Screw that noise...

Define "new"...if you mean when they are first released, then no as I do not have the sheep mentality where I have to have it too. Probably helps that I don't care much for online play.

If you mean new as in unopened, yes I have bought games that are new and sealed, when they've hit a ~$20 price point.

The asking prices on new releases are absolutely disgusting.

Define "new"...if you mean when they are first released, then no as I do not have the sheep mentality where I have to have it too. Probably helps that I don't care much for online play.

If you mean new as in unopened, yes I have bought games that are new and sealed, when they've hit a ~$20 price point.

The asking prices on new releases are absolutely disgusting.

NOw i never bought snes games when i was kid cuz my big bro bought them but doesn't the price scale the same as the dollar become less valuable(pulling out of a$$ btw) .But I agree with waiting on the price, the only thing is it sucks for those who want a game for online play. You kinda have to come in on it early otherwise mostly everyone will have learned all the tricks and you'll have to get used to getting destroyed....A LOT. I call it the MVC3 syndrome.

I do feel a certain obligation to pay 60 bucks for some games if it seems they put a lot of effort into it. same with movies. But pre-orders imo are dumb becuz im preordering something that i have no idea or a vague idea on how it will play. THat means, I visit red-box or blockbuster before buying.

Ok if we're going to touch on the Inflation aspect, which I've seen referenced before...I'll call bullshit. Let's take the SNES for example, and since it was released here in 1991, and had a (true) lifespan of 5 years we'll put the median for game prices at 1994.

A 1994 Dollar, adjusted for inflation is worth $1.55 today. http://www.dollartim...s/inflation.htm

SNES games when released were on average, $34.99(Probably something like $45 here). What's a game cost now? $59.99($69.99 for the same title here, such a ripoff when our dollar sits par or more often, but nevermind that).

Yes of course there were pricier titles, as there are today, but we're talking "average".

So while inflation has kept prices up, they are still higher by about 10% on average than they were then....and cart hardware cost MORE TO MAKE than cheap flimsy optical discs do now(Pennies...fractions of pennies, versus probably a few bucks a cart at least).

The "Inflation" cop-out is serisously flawed, just on the principle of tech cost alone...todays software medium tech is easily 300x less costly, maybe more.

• Like 1

DLC is embedded in stone, the online passes are still going some rough rough turbulence, hopefully it only becomes a rarity.

I mustve underestimated the damage business like GameStop do to these game companies.

Because I keep hearing this flack about preventing used game sales. I dunno their profit gain for each game release so i dont know if its true or not.

I know nothing, we all know little. If the online pass is actually fullfilling what it needs to. Either way you look at it, people who hardly ever buy new games are suffereing, and are getting disgruntled towards companies. $59.99 for a single player game with no replay value is a waste of money, because I'm going to complete that game in 10 hours. This is why I use Gamefly. The problem comes in where I rent a game from Gamefly, but I can't play online because I don't have a pass.

The only real reason I would think the online pass exists, is to help pay for the servers, if Mortal Kombat's online passes aren't being purchased, is that really a big deal? They're basically including online passes with new games free, and if they weren't every game would be $69.99, since it costs $9.99 to buy an online pass if you got a used copy. I know the used game market is hurting companies, which is why the online pass is supposed to make people want to buy a new game over a brand new one. What's absurd is that there will be a used copy of MAss Effect 3 in Gamestop as we speak for $54.99, I would buy the new game for $59.99 instead, or use credit from all of the other games you traded in to buy a used game. What if XBOX LIVE or PSN goes out, what if my code is brand new but can't be validated, what if the online play sucks? That means I just wasted $9.99, and however much money it took for me to buy the online service before the pass. It's all stupid.

Capcom is a part of it, there's no reason for me to buy any of their fighting games, or any game for that matter now that I know the future DLC will be packaged in a "Game of the Year" edition. I could never imagine when buying a game brand new had so much risk. I have to think about so many things before buying a game new nowadays.