Final Burn Legends 1.9

+ T +

so it's going to be 1.10, 1.11, and 1.100 if we're still going by then without some sort of major overhaul to both UI and core that would qualify as a 2.0 release.

Hey T, just don't touch the screen code! For one - the improvements you made are great! The generic (620-ish? x 448 pixel setup is perfect for most people. Most important is that I finally got around to making 'pixel perfect' INIs for the complete set and I think I'd jump out a window if you changed this part of the code up again. :-) Also, I have to say it was very easy going this time around due to the fixes you made to screen code and the UI enhancements you added - so thank you again!

For people who are interested in these, they should be available in a few weeks. I just have to test them to make sure they are all OK. Cos helped me batch the INIs, which for the most part worked out really well.

4in1 as far as I know has always had this problem in FBL.

Could this be removed from the DATs next time around? No point in having nonworking games right?

The clone of Ace Attacker works fine, only the parent has this problem.

Could this also be removed then and leave the clone?

Also, I just had an issue loading Asura Blade/Buster which took a while and then when it did load, it ran super slow. This happened before and I delete some files and that seemed to fix it, but that doesn't seem to be working now. Any idea what could be causing this?

Alien Challenge runs on the same driver as Lord of Gun which would need VMM routines to work on the Xbox.

If this doesn't happen, can these be removed from the DAT?

The Alpha Mission II prototype has issues because the Neo Geo core has not been updated in line with the most recent FBA updates; this is due to the fact that the old VMM code can't be utilised in the new driver, so new VMM routines would need to be added by someone more skilled than myself.

Did this work in previous versions of FBL? If not, can it also be removed from the DAT?

As for the ROM list issue; make sure your thumbsticks are centred as if they're 'drifting' slightly out of the deadzone it can cause exactly what you describe.

This happened again and I switched controllers and that solved it - so you hit the nail on the head. Why does this happen and is there a way to 'fix' it? The reason I ask is because Xbox thumbsticks crap out a lot. :-)

I found a few more games that have some problems. See below:

Bagman - quits with FBL encountered a problem

Bagman Moon Cresta - loads, but has garbled graphics on title screen - wrong colors too

Battle Chopper - sprites are all goofed up (invisible walls)

Best of the Best - choppy sound and animation (similar to Asura Blade/Buster)

Block Carnival / Thunder and Lightening 2 - blinking tilt message, but the game doesn't load

Burning Fight (Prototype) - garbled graphics (I guess this is the same problem as the other NeoGeo proto?)

Again, thanks, T!

Edited by PhilExile

I could increase the default thumbstick deadzone, although the way it's set now seems to be the best for analog games like Out Run. I won't be removing non-working games as I want to keep things in line with FBA as much as possible. Also, it would mean having to re-enable and test these games with every round of driver updates and I just don't have the time for that. It's something much more easily handled from the user's end; just remove any games you don't want in the list.

I could increase the default thumbstick deadzone, although the way it's set now seems to be the best for analog games like Out Run.

Hi T, thanks for getting back to me. You're right, the new deadzone works better for the games. I thought that there may be a way to have the thumstick deadzone not affect the romlist GUI in any negative way. Is that doable? I mention it because it was very confusing for me and I've been using the Xbox for 10 years now. :-)

I won't be removing non-working games as I want to keep things in line with FBA as much as possible. Also, it would mean having to re-enable and test these games with every round of driver updates and I just don't have the time for that.

I thought you were keeping the compatibility with each update? I'm going to be going through each game in 1.9 over the next few weeks, so I'd be glad to maintain a list of what isn't working. I'm sure if you asked, people here would be glad to assist in this regard.

I'm most concerned about the Asura Blade/Buster games, since those are two of my favorites. I also tried to launch one of the JoJo games last night and it had the same slowdown/sound stutter. I assume these are the same core? Could you please advise on these games? I'd like to get them working since they were fine in previous versions of FBL.

Again, thank you for your time!

Best,

Phil

Edited by PhilExile

I thought you were keeping the compatibility with each update? I'm going to be going through each game in 1.9 over the next few weeks, so I'd be glad to maintain a list of what isn't working. I'm sure if you asked, people here would be glad to assist in this regard.

I'm most concerned about the Asura Blade/Buster games, since those are two of my favorites. I also tried to launch one of the JoJo games last night and it had the same slowdown/sound stutter. I assume these are the same core? Could you please advise on these games? I'd like to get them working since they were fine in previous versions of FBL.

Keeping compatibility with existing working games, yes. But that doesn't extend to removing games that don't work. You need to understand that every xbox-specifc change I make to the FBA drivers, I have to reimplement with every core update. If it's to keep a game working or maintain the performance of a previous build then that's fine, but I don't have the time to keep a list of what's been removed and then re-test those games with every driver update to see if they're now working. What doesn't work in one build might work fine in the next. I'm sure it would be very helpful to have a list of non-working games though; that way people can choose to remove those roms from their set if they wish, but as I've said before, I don't think a program should bottle-feed users things they could (with a bit of effort) do for themselves.

I'm assuming you're running a RAM expanded Xbox. I forgot to re-add the VMM to the Asura games in the last build which means they shouldn't work at all (this is fixed in v1.10) and the JoJo games are on the CPS3 driver which shouldn't be capable of running anything on a stock Xbox in its current state. It's interesting you say that these games were working fine in previous versions, do you mean JoJo as well? I've always been curious as to whether any CPS3 games would launch on a 128Mb Xbox.

Keeping compatibility with existing working games, yes. But that doesn't extend to removing games that don't work. You need to understand that every xbox-specifc change I make to the FBA drivers, I have to reimplement with every core update. If it's to keep a game working or maintain the performance of a previous build then that's fine, but I don't have the time to keep a list of what's been removed and then re-test those games with every driver update to see if they're now working.

Thank you for explaining - makes perfect sense.

What doesn't work in one build might work fine in the next. I'm sure it would be very helpful to have a list of non-working games though; that way people can choose to remove those roms from their set if they wish, but as I've said before, I don't think a program should bottle-feed users things they could (with a bit of effort) do for themselves.

Ha, yes, I agree - but I also like to help people out if possible. I'll maintain a list here of any games that fail to load or have performance issues, along with notes as to what the error was.

I'm assuming you're running a RAM expanded Xbox.

Yes, I have both though - standard Xbox and Trusty upgraded (1.4ghz cpu/128 ram).

I forgot to re-add the VMM to the Asura games in the last build which means they shouldn't work at all

Well, it took them a while to load, but they did. The weird thing is this happened before and I deleted some files and reuploaded them and it seemed to fix it. However in retrospect, it was also late in the evening when I did this and its possible I launched an older version of FBL by mistake. I still have 1.5 on the HDD. :)

(this is fixed in v1.10)

Fantastic!!!

and the JoJo games are on the CPS3 driver which shouldn't be capable of running anything on a stock Xbox in its current state.

Right, this was on my Trusty system, I haven't tried to load it on my standard Xbox yet. Do you think it would be possible to optimize the CPS3 core in order to get these games working well on upgraded Xbox systems?

It's interesting you say that these games were working fine in previous versions, do you mean JoJo as well?

Sorry, I was only referring to Asura Blade and Asura Buster.

I've always been curious as to whether any CPS3 games would launch on a 128Mb Xbox.

Well, they definitely launch on a Trusty - it just takes some time, usually a minute or more. I think I may give Nextel a heads up to test this out on one of his 128 ram upgrade-only Xbox systems to see if its possible with just the extra RAM. As I go through the romset, I'll keep detailed notes on the CPS3 games so you can reference. It will include general performance, FPS, sound, etc.

I'm sure it's perfectly possible to optimise the CPS3 driver to work on an upgraded Xbox. iq_132 was able to get those games running on a stock Xbox not long ago, but even with the optimisations it was too resource intensive to run full speed without a major rewrite of the CPU core. I daresay that a RAM and CPU upgraded system would probably have been able to run that optimised driver quite nicely. But it isn't something I'd have any interest in personally as I feel that upgrading a console's hardware completely defeats the point of console emulation, which is that everybody has the same hardware and therefore all software is optimised for that hardware. If you're going to have a program that runs on multiple hardware configurations then you might as well be developing for PC and save yourself a lot of headaches.

totally agree not so much with the bottlefeeding comments more that you guys put a hellva lot of work into this and puttin in the time myself to get the roms working for me is no

big deal least i can do i guess after the shift you guys put in before releasing but some users seem to think life is to short to be doin that

anyway i always test my games with every release so i could along with phil maintain a games with issues thread but since i only run around 80 games i wont exactly have much

of a list i do know a good few with out of mem issues dont know if it's worth posting them though

here's some game issues ive noticed

double axle the controls seem a little to sensitve it makes trying to select what course you want impossible plus the truck veers to the left or right to quick

line of fire the calibration for the guns are off the rockets are fine but the guns seem to shoot in the left upper corner of the screen "you can see it flashing"

still couldnt get pengiun bros to load in 1.8 but to be honest ive stepped back to 1.7 for now

Edited by gamez fan

how come when i try to play a neo geo game in FBL 1.9, i get a invalid crc error?

is it because i am using the romsetfor coinops 3?

might be your roms are wrong you will more than likely need to get a newer set to use with this emulator

regarding the neogeo games make sure you have the neogeo.zip bios files in your rom folder