Final Burn Legends 1.9

+ T +

how come when i try to play a neo geo game in FBL 1.9, i get a invalid crc error?

is it because i am using the romsetfor coinops 3?

coinops (in any of it's releases) uses a very old, out-dated romset from mame .084. (it's so 2004) [edit: apparently per a very questionable source the cps2 driver has been slightly updated to run something. but only the cps2 stuff per the source. so that leaves the neogeo, cps1, and so on that is not updated. remember i got this info from the actual source!]

fbl uses a newer romset from mame .144+; which was released just last december. the roms are emulated closer to that of the original arcade.

Edited by tristanx

quick question +T+ a while back i asked if it would be possible like the mame emulators to have an option to toggle the gun game crosshares on or off included in the game menu in FBL was wondering any progress on maybe adding this feature

Edited by gamez fan

I'll be totally honest; I'm not currently working on FBL at all. That's not to say I never will, but the FBA updates are coming faster than I have time to implement them and I have zero time for any kind of testing. Partly it is due to lack of time but also I don't have as much interest in the Xbox as an emulation platform as I used to. My primary motivation for working on FBL has always been in producing something that I want to use myself and on my current setup, all the emulators I used to run on Xbox are far outclassed by what I have running on PC and I think I'd find it hard to go back. Yes, a nice UI takes a lot more setting up and configuring on a PC, but it's a lot less time and work than coding that's for sure.

I have the highest admiration for the work of madmab, freakdave and others for constantly pushing the limits of what this hardware is capable of and I can imagine that brings its own rewards, but projects like my work on FBL and CoinOPS are really just desperate and in many ways poor attempts to keep a dead system relevant using old and outdated software rehashed again and again and again. I really don't want FBL to become the kind of sad and bloated mess that CoinOPS has become; just a mish-mash of mangled old code masquerading as something new and innovative. In FBL's case, so many of it's components can't be updated because I don't have the knowledge to write Xbox-specific routines for the new code and in my view there's no point updating something unless you are actually able to move it forward and keep it current. Neither project has a real developer with real coding knowledge and so neither can ever bring anything truly fresh to the table. And as much as talented individuals such as iq_132 and kenshiro have made a huge difference to FBL, I can't go running to them for help every time I can't do something myself. Basically what I'm saying is, real innovation will come from the real developers in the scene and it's important that people know who they are and who they are not because it's with them that the future of the Xbox lies; people that have the skills to create and not just endlessly tweak and retweak what already exists.

Sorry if I've gone on for too long here, but I've enjoyed the support and enthusiasm of everybody here for FBL in the recent months and I feel it only fair to share my current mindset on the project with everyone who has helped make it what it is.

well sorry to hear that +T+ but i understand what your sayin big big thx to you IQ kenshiro and everyone else for the excellent work you all put into this emulator FBL

made my xbox a better place cheers!!!!!!!!!!!

hope youll make a comeback at some point peace out

NNNOOOOOOOO!!!

i was so looking forward to at least one more fbl update.

oh well... i understand your point of view.

is it possible that you can send what you have worked on over to the guys over at emuxtras to maybe finish what you have at least started?

I'm not saying the project is dead. Just that right now, I'm not working on it and have no plans to do so at the moment. I didn't want to keep promising that a new release was on the way so I thought it better to be honest about where things stand.

That being said, FBL 1.10 is virtually complete; just a few small bugs to iron out in one or two games (that's with the FBA 0.2.97.18 core, I haven't even looked at the more recent updates). So if any of the developers on the EmuXtras team want to take a crack at the code then they can contact me and I'll gladly provide what I have.

how come when i try to play a neo geo game in FBL 1.9, i get a invalid crc error?

is it because i am using the romsetfor coinops 3?

forgot to say your bios files will need to be current as well eg pgm.zip neogeo.zip check the PM i sent will tell where to get what you need

good luck

@ +T+

I guess I'm kinda both sorry to hear that, and glad. On the one hand, the recent revival of FBL has resulted in me getting to play a few games on the old xbox that I never thought I would (espgal, ketsui, etc). On the other - as you've said previously - we're eventually going to get to the point where the xbox will struggle with the emulation updates. You're probably better quitting now, rather than waiting till that becomes more and more apparent (if you aint got time to test stuff now, and that testing is becoming more and more important, then...) If I were you, I'd get the next one out, make sure it's all working fine, and draw a line under the whole shebang.

Call it FFBL. (See what I did there?)

I'm probably swinging towards the same mindset, actually. (Starting to think I could replace the xboxes with Raspberry PI...) Whichever road you take, I'm probably gonna stop trying to keep up, personally. I only ever notice the new games anyway; frankly, I'm told the emulation is "better", but in most cases I don't notice much of a difference! In my defence: I'm quite old.

Ahem.

(As for CoinOPS: I already stopped trying to "get" that joke about six months ago. Doubtless we're up to version tweveltybamazillion by now. If he's not careful he'll run out of actual numbers.)

So... yeah. Unless wizkids like iq figure out how to get SH3 working on the old fella, thinking I'll just stop bothering with the upgrades and, you know... actually play some damn games on the thing.

Anyway, just wanted to post and say: whatever you do now, I appreciate what you've already done. And will appreciate it for years to come.

You take care, dude.

PS. A quick question: say I have multiple folders for FBL version rompacks (i.e. F:\Roms\FBL1,F:\Roms\FBL2,etc), and I point an FBL at a few of them (as maybe I don't have a complete updated rompack in the FBL2 folder - it just has the roms that have changed - but the missing ones will still be in the earlier FBL1 folder)... how does FBL handle multiple BIOS files? I might not want to necessarily delete, say, the earlier neogeo.zip, as I still have the earlier version of FBL sitting there using it (I do tend to keep earlier versions of emulators sitting on the drive rather than overwriting them). I realise that if it sees two versions of a game rom you get to choose either one - just wondering which BIOS file it would use for that? Or would I just confuse the hell out of it by doing this?

PS. A quick question: say I have multiple folders for FBL version rompacks (i.e. F:\Roms\FBL1,F:\Roms\FBL2,etc), and I point an FBL at a few of them (as maybe I don't have a complete updated rompack in the FBL2 folder - it just has the roms that have changed - but the missing ones will still be in the earlier FBL1 folder)... how does FBL handle multiple BIOS files? I might not want to necessarily delete, say, the earlier neogeo.zip, as I still have the earlier version of FBL sitting there using it (I do tend to keep earlier versions of emulators sitting on the drive rather than overwriting them). I realise that if it sees two versions of a game rom you get to choose either one - just wondering which BIOS file it would use for that? Or would I just confuse the hell out of it by doing this?

In that situation I have no idea which it will use. But the only two systems that use BIOS files are NeoGeo and PGM, the drivers for which have not been changed for several builds now (save for ROM updates). So if you already have the latest ROMs I wouldn't see any reason to run these games on an older version of FBL.

Hi +T+

Was just wondering will we ever see a possible release of Final Burn Consoles with the added Neogeo CD funtionality in the future?

It's not something I ever started work on. Getting the games to run in the NeoGeo core would be no problem at all, but it would require major additions or alterations to the UI in order to be usable and I just don't have the know-how to achieve something like that. FBC is something I would like to have developed more; not just the NGCD stuff but also the new SNES and PCE drivers that have been added to recent FBA builds. It would be great to have a real multi-system console emulator running on the Xbox.

Edited by + T +