How would SOPA effect a site like this one?

Lucandrake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

While I found the hearing amusing, I couldn't help but feel worried knowing that people who don't know what the internet is have to decide whether or not its right for companies to hold precedence over the net.

How would something like that even effect this site? I wouldn't appreciate waking up one morning to see a U.S censoring letter appear on the front page.

Its insane enough to host anything emulation-themed in the US. As long as you maintain plans for continuation of operations and have your stuff hosted outside continental america, good enough for a start.

Regarding DNS, p2p mesh resolvers, opendns and google's dns could do.

Regarding hosting, well if hosting in the US, youd really get what you deserve. That risk alone should encourage mirroring like in the old days (not just of static sites and files, timely database replication is rather commonplace nowadays).

There's always offshore hosting, and for more convenience, sites could even go private (therefore strive more for keeping their userbases loyal and active compared to just increasing their numbers. Private trackers had that approach right).

Network connectivity shortcomings aside, hosting from a garage only has the notable problem of engaging your moral and physical person regarding liability.

Regarding advertising, even if traditional advertising platforms shun your sites, others just woould take their place (especially underground/adult/sale-centric ones). All sorts of bypasses could be thought on to bypass an internet watch. Take a mail donation or check for example (especially chained upwards to individuals with increasing sums -multilayered donations or something I suppose-). Not so detectable, and each participant would be easily replacable till the top is reached. Mind you, thats just for hobbyist-levels of funds.

Great question Drake... *cough*... Akihirozi. Well, just about all emulators are legal (except the few made with illegal XDK for XBOX, which linking to is not allowed here).

Furthermore, we will never allow hosting or linking to roms / warez / pirated material.

So, I believe we should be in the clear. :)

The whole thing just scares me to be honest, it's such backwards thinking I wouldn't expect anybody making the decision to be informed in the first place.

Those lobbyist must be getting payed ridiculous amounts of dough though, they seem to be doing a good job of keeping the House in line.

I see this has rules specifically to allow the hijacking of foreign websites, anything that offends the corporations that run/own America is fair bait. I wonder if any of this has appeared on U.S. media?

Hardly ... if not, at all. We see it though on many US based social networking news sites (ex: reddit & digg). Other than that, the Republican candidates **cough** Newt & Romney **cough** have taken over the media.