What is your gym routine? (workout regimen)

Alpha

I'm a kind of guy that physical and mental health are extremely important to me. A person who doesn't understand their own body and mind is in serious trouble if they ever want to be successful on this planet. Most of all, that includes having a fit lifestyle. For the past few years, I have mandated myself to hit the gym at least 2-5 times a week. I am trying to make it a straight Monday-Friday schedule, but it is very difficult with work, and maintaining enough daily energy.

What a typical workout of mine may consist of:

* 1) PLANK: 3 sets / 60 seconds each (Google "workout plank" for an image...)

I've read it's helpful to start with a something that works your entire core, before you proceed in any rigorous workout.

2) Chest Press: 3 sets / 15 reps (use a machine)

3) Tricep Extensions: 3 set / 15 reps (on a bench press mat)

4) Incline Pushups : 3 sets / 15 reps (putting hands on a bench press mat)

5) Leg Press: 3 sets/ 15 reps (use a machine)

6) Shoulder Press: 3 sets / 15 reps (use a machine)

7) Incline Sit Ups: 3 sets / 20 reps

8 ) Lunges with Dumbells: 3 sets / 20 reps (form is extremely important, especially making sure that your feet are kept straight ahead, and that you always push off your heels!)

9) Squats with Dumbells: 3 sets / 20 reps (form is extremely important, especially making sure that your feet are kept straight ahead, and that you always push off your heels!)

10) Pushups: 3 sets / 10 reps

11) Lateral Shoulder Raise: 3 sets / 10 reps (your using dumbells here... pick an adequate wait that is not too much)

12) Frontal Shoulder Raise: 3 sets / 10 reps (your using dumbells here... pick an adequate wait that is not too much)

13) Row Pull-In: 3 sets / 15 reps (use a machine)

14) Lateral Pull Down: 3 sets / 15 reps

At no time have I ever done all of these in one session, but I usually select the best 6 or 7 on a day. This is definitely an incomplete list, but a good idea for all of you to see. I use to follow the philosophy to work out on a certain body area each day, but it's too hard for me to keep a schedule like that. So I do a full-body workout on the most amount of days I can per week. As for the weights I am putting on each of these, I shall keep that to myself. Use the amount that you feel is best for yourself!

Now please... share your regimen. Thoughts on what mine include? Questions? Or what I need to add?

I think also add some fitness/stamina things like running / cycling or even just walking or swimming.

Not sure if your gymwork includes chinups, I'd certainly add them (sets of 10).

as for myself, due to my fucked-up knees i cannot run anymore, walking up/down stairs is problematic too.

also i have a bad back, so i just do a few exercises at home while laying on my back, so some chest presses and so on. But I can still do a few chinups, so i'm not entirely ruined just yet. Need to lose some weight too.

I do try to keep fit, but like robert my body has taken a beating over the years.

I have a creaky left knee, and a dodgy right shoulder.

I used to keep my fitness schedule very basic, Id Jog 2 mile 2 or 3 times a week,

(I still do just not lately been a bit down in the dumps)

Then I would hit my bench, bench presses, dumbell curls, 50's, finish with push ups...

There was a time i could just hit the deck and do 100 push ups in 20's now Im lucky if I get to 80... (I would mix push ups with the bench on an evening)

Now I have got to the point with my aches and pains that a work out is something i have to really gear up for, it also does not help that im smoking 10 a day.

And downing a bit too much beer than I should, my key aim for next year is to quit smoking!!!!!

I have done it before and im gonna do it again. Hopefully that will be the building block i need to push me back in to exercise, and a better state of mind and a healthy body. I eat healthy considering my money restrictions.

I lifted a weight last night that I used to just dominate and I sturggled! That was when I thought "wtf!!!" im only 30!!!!

I think also add some fitness/stamina things like running / cycling or even just walking or swimming.

Not sure if your gymwork includes chinups, I'd certainly add them (sets of 10).

as for myself, due to my fucked-up knees i cannot run anymore, walking up/down stairs is problematic too.

also i have a bad back, so i just do a few exercises at home while laying on my back, so some chest presses and so on. But I can still do a few chinups, so i'm not entirely ruined just yet. Need to lose some weight too.

Chinups and Stamina exercises are definitely something I haven't added yet, as both are probably my weak points. I simply hate running, but I do my fair share of the elliptical. It's hard creating a stable pain tolerance to push through and create a great stamina, but it's definitely a goal on the top of my list!

I do try to keep fit, but like robert my body has taken a beating over the years.

I have a creaky left knee, and a dodgy right shoulder.

I used to keep my fitness schedule very basic, Id Jog 2 mile 2 or 3 times a week,

(I still do just not lately been a bit down in the dumps)

Then I would hit my bench, bench presses, dumbell curls, 50's, finish with push ups...

There was a time i could just hit the deck and do 100 push ups in 20's now Im lucky if I get to 80... (I would mix push ups with the bench on an evening)

Now I have got to the point with my aches and pains that a work out is something i have to really gear up for, it also does not help that im smoking 10 a day.

And downing a bit too much beer than I should, my key aim for next year is to quit smoking!!!!!

I have done it before and im gonna do it again. Hopefully that will be the building block i need to push me back in to exercise, and a better state of mind and a healthy body. I eat healthy considering my money restrictions.

I lifted a weight last night that I used to just dominate and I sturggled! That was when I thought "wtf!!!" im only 30!!!!

Creaky left knee? Sounds like what I had last year. You should see an Orthopedic doctor. Your quadriceps could be stronger than your hamstrings or vice versa. The way I corrected my creaky left knee was by kicking a punching bag a few times. Believe it or not, that worked!

And smoking ... I don't blame you. It's like when a woman has sex with a guy who constantly cheats on her, yet she keeps going back to him. Know why? It's because of the chemical oxytocin that was released through her bloodstream during sex. Of course, with smoking -- that's called nicotine. You got to fight it and win... it's your life on the line. You can do it! :-)

I managed to sort my knee out by doing one legged squats!!!

I had to do those for a week to two weeks, it took for ever!!!

Then i would go for a small jog say three quarters of a mile, when I realised I had no pain or "play up" I went down the local park and started the long incline hill (its very slightly uphill but its over a mile I go down it and back up it so i get a good work out on the way back) I struggled, but after every jog I make sure I do a few one legged squats normally 30 in 10's it feels like im trying to keep a balance in my legs/muscle/knee.

Next year Im gearing up for better health and more exercise.

There might be no good jobs or money in the UK but I can sure as hell look after my self best I can.