Final Burn Legends/Consoles UI Requests

destronger

with +T+ being so awesome in upgrading fbl/fbc for all of us and requests for UI addons be asked; i thought it wise to have a post for UI requests only.

please keep this post for User Interface requests ONLY. all other should be in the post that +T+ creates when he releases the emu.

when you make request please put a valid reason for the request... we don't need pointless addons do we? :P

i will also go through this thread and update the front page of requests so as to keep things easy.

hopefully +T+ doesn't have a problem with this. ;) (good he doesn't mind)

please see +T+'s remark below for further info

================================================================================

requests:

================================================================================

1 ) video in background of game select screen <----skinning purpose... can't be done, memory hog feature will not be added

2 ) different music for main menu & game select screen <----skinning purpose... image having the main menu have it's own music and when you select your character... err game it changes the music. :)

3 ) delete rom option in main menu <---- make it easier to get rid of unwanted roms, ie mahjong, pr0n, etc. having these go into back-up folder when done just incase after deleted.

4 ) rom/videos/title screens/etc file browser <---- locate rom/videos/title screens/etc location similar to surreal64xxx b5.5. this could be useful. especially for those of us who are to lazy to edit the ini. feature will not be added

5 ) game select menu similar to FBA-XXX <---- this would seperate roms to their specific system. i know there is one in the options but what about merging FBL & FBA-XXX menu. just an idea.

added:

6 ) clones to be hidden/shown on the rom screen with a button press rather than having to go through the menus <---- an example of this would be:

Pressing the left thumb stick hides clones and turns off highlight parent, clicking again displays clones and highlights parents. Hope you can look into this +T+ and thank you for all your hard work so far, coder or no coder FBL is looking good to me! request by: diggyte

7 ) option to add a game to favorites in the in-game menu<---- because, sometimes your in the middle of a game you just found that you really like and want to add it to the favorites before you forget so you can play it again later, but at the same time you don't want to interrupt your current game because your doing well and are in the middle of it. request by: silverjag400 feature will not be added

8 ) auto-scroll by holding down the Down or Up buttons <---- request by: silverjag400

Edited by tristanx

I have no problem with it at all. It may even be more useful this way in that when/if I do eventually get round to adding more stuff to the UI, at least I won't have to trawl through old topics. There are however a few things I'll mention just so people don't get their hopes up with this sort of thing:

1) I'm not really interested in the UI. While I do have every intention of filling UI requests where possible, the fact is that it's the emulation side of things that interests me far more and as far as I'm personally concerned, the FBL UI is pretty much perfect as it is. So please keep in mind that any work on the emulation side of FBL will always take priority over UI changes.

2) I'm not much of a coder. Please don't assume this is any kind of modesty, it's absolutely true. So if a feature you're requesting involves coding anything new, as opposed to tweaking or updating existing code, then chances are it's beyond my ability to add.

3) With UI requests I always weigh up how much work would be involved in adding a feature against how many people it will potentially benefit. I can't afford to spend hours figuring out how to get something working if it's specific to the needs of just a single user.

4) I probably won't add features that boil down to user laziness. I don't believe a UI should hold your hand, be idiot-proof in any way, or do anything that you can easily do yourself.

I hope that lot doesn't come across as too negative but I don't want anyone to feel I've misrepresented my intentions or made false promises about anything. At least this way, we're all on the same page. :P

I m going to use this opportunity to repeat my request for clones to be hidden/shown on the rom screen with a button press rather than having to go through the menus, an example of this would be:

Pressing the left thumb stick hides clones and turns off highlight parent, clicking again displays clones and highlights parents. Hope you can look into this +T+ and thank you for all your hard work so far, coder or no coder FBL is looking good to me!

To be able to scroll through the games list by just holding down the up or down buttons, possibly even using the analog, as it makes scrolling around easier; and having an option to add a game to favorites in the in-game menu, because sometimes your in the middle of a game you just found that you really like and want to add it to the favorites before you forget so you can play it again later, but at the same time you don't want to interrupt your current game because your doing well and are in the middle of it.

Edited by Silverjag400

To be able to scroll through the games list by just holding down the up or down buttons, possibly even using the analog, as it makes scrolling around easier

you can use the left & right buttons to scroll around faster in the game menu.

and use the d pad left & right to jump to games alphabetically.

Edited by tristanx

you can use the left & right buttons to scroll around faster in the game menu.

and use the d pad left & right to jump to games alphabetically.

yes but using left and right buttons can become tiresome when you have to hold the triggers at just such a pressure to get it to move just slowly enough to read what your scrolling up to everytime,

and on the original xbox controllers it can be pretty stiff and hard to hold at that pressure, an jumping alphabetically is only as good as for if you know exactly the name of the game you want to play, but if your just browsing looking for something you've never tried it can be cumbersome, i've found games lost them and then forgotten about them just by pressing the wrong button or a trigger too hard by accident and not being able to get back to the same place; but mainly on SD tv's where the screen limits more the amount of games can be shown, HDTVs dont usually have the problem so much because theres much more room to see.

I just feel that an auto-scroll by holding down the Down or Up buttons seems most natural to me, in addition to what other scrolling features are already in place, but it's you guys's call.

Edited by Silverjag400

To be able to scroll through the games list by just holding down the up or down buttons, possibly even using the analog, as it makes scrolling around easier; and having an option to add a game to favorites in the in-game menu, because sometimes your in the middle of a game you just found that you really like and want to add it to the favorites before you forget so you can play it again later, but at the same time you don't want to interrupt your current game because your doing well and are in the middle of it.

Scrolling by holding down the D-pad buttons sounds easy enough and I can see the benefit; I'll look into it. As for adding favourites mid-game; that definitely falls under my point #4. Just add it to your favourites when you quit the game.

I m going to use this opportunity to repeat my request for clones to be hidden/shown on the rom screen with a button press rather than having to go through the menus, an example of this would be:

Pressing the left thumb stick hides clones and turns off highlight parent, clicking again displays clones and highlights parents. Hope you can look into this +T+ and thank you for all your hard work so far, coder or no coder FBL is looking good to me!

Apologies if I've asked this before but could you explain how this would be more beneficial than just enabling/disabling clones in the menu?

I find the list a bit cumbersome when browsing games with clones on , I don't really use clones that much but on occasion I do like to try some out (Aliens and 1000 Miglia have some differences for example). This probably has more to do with the fact I am a completist when it comes to romsets and would like the option to not have clones "in the way" as the majority of them are useless. I see this falling under your number 4 however I think it would be helpful for convenience. Thanks and no need to apologise.

The main reason I use FBA Alpha XXX instead of Legends is that to reconfigure buttons in Legends I have to scroll throw each command.

Really? You seriously prefer to go without the infinitely more robust codebase, more polished interface, improved performance, faster loading times, and literally hundreds of extra games just to save yourself a few seconds of time configuring buttons? Each to their own I suppose. :)