Jamma Cab help

Mega Man (?)

(Well phil...)

I have a Jamma cabinet I am looking at getting...

I want to either run it using a PC or Xbox.. and right now I am weighing the pro/cons and options....

I want to know what I use to have the the "controls , monitor and speakers" speak to the xbox with....

I see the link to that jamma xbox thing... but i want to know is that "it" ?

I am aware of the I-pac and the J-pac...

I am not sure what the xbox one is... and I am fuzzy still on how it works...

Any help and/or opinions from anyone will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Some pro's I see to xbox:

1. I already have one set up
  2. it seems like less work
  3. xbox boot easier/fast than pc
  4. possibly better interface

Cons:

1. limitations to certain games and memory
  2. I see that someone got a trackball (mouse) hack working...but I still can't fathom how ...
  3. I know there are a few more cons I thought of but can't think now :P

We guys I you can point me to link or tutorials ... I know some other great cats have already done many beautiful cabs!

I will be sure to show my work If i get it going...

Edited by Mega Man (?)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a cabinet to play classic arcade games has always been something I've promised myself I'll do some day, but whether I'll ever actually get round to it or not is another story. I'd probably be more inclined to go the PC route if it wasn't for the boot time. MAME on even a half-decent spec PC will play so many more games than the Xbox will ever be able to handle. I wonder what the shortest achievable boot time is on a PC arcade cab.

in my honest opinion, its xbox all the way, limitations or not..

Ive seen tons of cabinets that have a keyboard and mouse and are PC based... to me that just looks odd and nothing like I played as a kid.

I admire what PC cabs can do but not the look and feel of them, I seen one with a joystick that controls the menu... bizzare

boot time is a nightmare, config also a nightmare.... you would benifit from more games but look at what are your true favourite games... I bet 90% or more play on xbox.

I love the layout and look of hyperspin but the config and options are just a nightmare...

Love it or hate it, you cannot beat Coinops in a cab... you ask any cab owner running coinops.... If there is a substantial ammount of games you play that dont work in coinops then go for PC... For me it is like 50 or less so its gotta be coinops!

There is nothing better out there, BP's creation of a multi launching emulator in 1 GUI its perfect for a cab and is the reason I built a cab in the first place...

Head over to http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/ you will see some amazing PC based machines and console based machines

Good luck with whatever you decide :P

Ive just sold my Xbox arcade cabinet.

Because id prefer playing games laying on my bed instead of sitting in front of the cabinet...

When i should build again one; im sure to use the xbox again !

Why?

- extremely fast booting compared with PC

- Coinops which is for me the best emulator

- easy connection to the buttons using the xbox convertor (from x-arcade)

- you can use also the x-arcade stick (6 buttons per player) (trackball)

- you can use normal tv instead of the expensive arcade monitors (15hz)

have you considered maybe building your own cab instead?

the only reason i mention this is for moving purposes. i used to own sf2 arcade and found it very bulky. earlier this year i made this and will be my plan to actually make it.

when it comes to xbox or pc... i already set up the xbox with all the yummy goodness that is xtra's for cobsoles and fbl and mame128 plus for arcade. using xbmc with confluence... well anyway, the look of it on my monitor i'm using looks amazing.

here's a pic of my mock-up. again, something to consider...

1e26c6e0.jpg

Edited by tristanx

Do I need this?

what does it mean by "timer" ?

http://www.coin-arcade.com/catalog/i22.html

It means you can select timed play.... example £1 = 30mins

I bought 1 off bulge before he went overseas.... pm me ya email ansd ill send you the documents on monday or just google them :P

personally id just use hacked pads its cheaper and you can custom design everything... also use i use 4:3 tv but its your call...

have you seen my build thread on arcadecontrols and emulab?

ps i also have an x-arcade and the connectors for xbox too.... are you in the UK?

Edited by ace9094

Ok.

I am in USA

hacked pads huh..? hmmm

I will have an old dynamo jamma cab

I'll pm you my email ace :P

no i have not seen your thread...

Thanks guys

I'd like to see Ace's cab too.

I'm just collecting materials to do my second xbox based cab out of a dynamo HS-5. I sold the WG 25" monitor for $30 and bought a 480i 4:3 flat glass TV with component in for $10 on Craigslist. I still have to de-case it and mount it when I get some spare time.

I'm coming from having a Mac/XP/ Lunix based cab for over ten years and have found the XBOX1 + TV to be superior in ease of setup and video tuning.

I looked into that timing board thing you listed and I read a review that the video isn't properly amplified. I think a TV is a million times easier. The one I got has a digital tuner so my kids can watch TV on it. They can use SBMC for movies and miusic and I can play halo if I want. Good call on the Xbox...