Chihiro arcade games running on 128mb ram modded Xboxes.

fumanchu

I forgot to post this a few days ago.

The guys over at Agames and Extras sites have figured out a way to run Chihiro arcade games on modchipped/softmodded Xboxes with the extra 128mb mod, sadly the standard xboxes only came with 64mb ram so these games do boot on those but they seem to crash after entering the menu (this is the case with Virtua Cop 3 at least.)

The cool thing is that the chihiro is soo similar to the xbox so Virtua Cop 3 even works with the xbox lightgun!.

"The Sega Chihiro system is a Sega arcade system board based on the architecture of the Xbox. The 733 MHz Intel Pentium III CPU and the Nvidia XChip graphics processor are common to both. Unlike the Xbox, Chihiro can support up to 512MB RAM through add-in memory modules. Chihiro games are distributed on Sega GD-ROM media, instead of standard DVD-ROM used by the Xbox.

Because the Chihiro and Xbox share the same hardware architecture, porting from the Chihiro is theoretically easier than porting from a different arcade platform. In practice, the much smaller memory-capacity of the Xbox (64MB), presents a formidable challenge for home-conversions of arcade titles which use Chihiro's larger memory configuration, however the Xbox release of OutRun 2 was able to retain the look and feel of the original 512 MB arcade version."

Games available for Chihiro:

Crazy Taxi High Roller

Ghost Squad

Gundam Battle Operating Simulator

Ollie King

Out Run 2

Out Run 2 SP

Sega Club Golf 2006 Next Tours

Sega Network Taisen Mahjong MJ 2

Sega Network Taisen Mahjong MJ 3

The House of the Dead III

Virtua Cop 3

Ford Racing Full Blown

Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune

Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2

the only game that will play on a stock xbox is crazy taxi 3 as that uses just 64mb,i have tried virtua cop 3 myself and it does boot but unfortunatly it crashes once you select a stage.

wish i had a 128mb xbox now. :peopleseybrow:

if anyone knows of a site which tells you specs of the arcade boards for these games then please post it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i know what you mean,i was looking at some vids of ollie king and i am wondering if that particular arcade board does use 64mb of ram.

edit

what interests me most from that list is

ghost squad

virtua cop 3

ollie king

Very nice, is there any footage of this in action? I hear you can solder the ram on yourself, try doing some youtube'ing you'll find something.

[edit]

Removing Ram

Upgrading Ram

Edited by LoRd_SnOw

yeah that is the vid.

i dont have the skills to do the ram upgrade but if there is anyone in the uk here who does do the ram upgrade then let me know via pm thanks as i would be interested in getting it done.

yeah i know what you mean,i was looking at some vids of ollie king and i am wondering if that particular arcade board does use 64mb of ram.

edit

what interests me most from that list is

ghost squad

virtua cop 3

ollie king

Most wanted, wonder if 'Freeze on XBE loading screen' issue is due to Xbe or high mem alloc error.

Link posted by FrankMorris over emuXtra Document

describing steps to achieve this.

Crazy Taxi 3 GDX-0002 isn't working in 64mb Xbox, as stated in the root670's dox. I can also confirm this.. Use the Xbox version instead.

Only game which is currently verified to work at all is Virtua Cop 3 GDX-0003A (by garcimak) :)

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showt...4195#post524195

That's the thread were the real progress is being made :peopleseybrow:

Hello,

Trusty at X-S does RAM upgrades, in addition to his CPU upgrades. As I recall, it wasn't extremely expensive service. Trusty is also a really nice and helpful guy - so you'd be in good hands with him.

For anyone considering doing this on your own, you must have a LOT of soldering experience, as well as a good workstation. I've been soldering for years and I wouldn't even bother with this mod. However, I did hear that if you have a heat gun, its not that hard to get those RAM chips off. That's the hardest part from the way I understand it.

Anyway, this is a pretty amazing development. Lets how we see an official release, even its only for upgraded boxes. Maybe some more people should be investing in a 1.4ghz Xbox? :peopleseybrow:

Cheers

No, absolutely not. Trusty is an electrical engineer and he knows what he is doing. If there are ANY issues, he will always help.

This is the official Trusty thread - his name is 'trusty' on the board, he isn't a member here, so you will have to join X-S to chat with him:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...694933&st=0

Again, I always recommend the full upgrade for people who want to get the most out of their Xbox.

Good luck