FBL 1.4 pixel perfect ini discussion

+ T +

This hasn't been my experience. Basically this is how I find the perfect pixel proportion:

1. After I launch the game, I find the correct vertical size. This is fairly easy with scanlines because the pixels will 'lock' into place and become very sharp. If they aren't 'locked' the entire game screen appears blurry. This is most noticeable in type.

2. Then I re-size the horizontal. When resizing, you can see multiple lines (or waves) in the image as you are changing the horizontal size. It starts off with a lot of lines throughout, but as you get closer to the correct value, these lines begin to lessen in number until they are eliminated.

3. I then move the screen's position with the left thumbstick left to right to see if any distortions appear. If it is correct, there will be none and the screen will move smoothly across the monitor.

Lol, that's EXACTLY how i set up my pixel perfect screen on my sdtv (480i)

and i noticed too, the vertical size of the screen isn't modified with fbl 1.4, i only have a small distortion horizontally

i agree for been able to modify with the dpad the smaller modifier value when pressing it (it would act the same as the right thumbstick)

it would solve the problem because we would be able to modify the screen value the more precisely possible

and as far as i m concerned i hadn't any issue with my screen values when i move it only with the left thumbstick

p.s.: dodonpachi 3 runs incredibly good for our good old xbox!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, that's EXACTLY how i set up my pixel perfect screen on my sdtv (480i)

Ha - glad I'm not alone!

and i noticed too, the vertical size of the screen isn't modified with fbl 1.4, i only have a small distortion horizontally

Ah, good to hear the issue is consistent! Gil, did you apply the AspectCorrect fix prior to importing to 1.4 as we were discussing earlier in the thread. I assume you did if your results were positive overall.

i agree for been able to modify with the dpad the smaller modifier value when pressing it (it would act the same as the right thumbstick)

Right, that was my thought as well. A lot of time, its a matter of getting the right pressure on the thumbstick and it gets very frustrating.

it would solve the problem because we would be able to modify the screen value the more precisely possible

Well, I would like to figure out what is causing the 1.3 INIs not to be imported perfectly horizontally. (Without driving +T+ crazy of course) :lol:

and as far as i m concerned i hadn't any issue with my screen values when i move it only with the left thumbstick

Same here. I have noticed that this happens sometimes when I move it up and down, although, I've always attributed that to the scanlines.

Thanks for chiming in.

Edited by PhilExile

Well the only thing that I can say has made any logical sense so far in terms of code changes is the AspectCorrect line in the ini files. This is further supported by the fact that only horizontal values are affected since AspectCorrect causes a change in horizontal values. So to clarify; if you take a 1.3 ini and manually add the line "AspectCorrect=0" above the SNKBios line before importing it to 1.4 then I see no reason why your screen size values wouldn't translate correctly. If this is not the case then I'm afraid we're back to square one and are rapidly approaching the point where the problem is sufficiently ill-defined for me to be able to do anything about it.

I do want to help you guys out as much as possible though so I will make the d-pad resizing feature the next thing on my list.

-~=-+ T +-=~-

EDIT: Check your PMs, gentlemen.

Edited by + T +

I do want to help you guys out as much as possible though so I will make the d-pad resizing feature the next thing on my list.

+T+, Sire!

Superb addition. Spectacular result!

Thank you soooo much for adding this.

Right on the spot!

Bullseye!

Regards,

=<^c^>=

Dear +T+,

I just reverted my FBL 1.4 to 480p.

Then, I deleted the actual AOF3.INI file from FBL 1.4.

Then, I did open AOF3.INI from FBL 1.3 and added the aspect ratio line

*before* importing it into FBL 1.4.

After doing so, I got the screen *almost correct*.

The only problem found was a, let's say, something like 1 row of pixel distortion in the height of the screen.

Its a full horizontal line easily spot when you have scanlines turned on.

EDIT:

The width was also wrong by one row of "pixels".

For as much as I would like to have this solved, I think in the end we

should move forward and let this behind. After migrating definitely to 1.4,

we pixel lovers will need to adjust all games again, one by one. This is the only

solution I can see now. I don't know what more to do!

=)

Take a look on the pictures:

fbl14-1.jpg

fbl14-2.jpg

To Phil:

The idea I had this afternoon that could save us all from

eternal damnation, was to gather a list/pack of dumb empty

files, each one for each game, and fill them automatically

using some text script in a software, or even cutting and

pasting inside a editor.

But we will need a pack of CPS1 and CPS2 empty INI files.

A pack of NeoGeo 320x224 empty INI files.

A pack of NeoGeo 304x224 empty INI files.

Then, we set in PixPerfect one game from each pack in FBL 1.4.

Copy the generates NeoGeo INI, the generated CPS1+2 INI,

and paste it accordingly, on each dumb empty INIs.

But my idea dies when we talk about all other misc games,

each one with a different screen size.

Well...

A lot of work in all paths!

C.

Edited by Cospefogo

Hey Cos,

I'm on it. :lol: I was already able to take the pixel perfect INIs I had made from the INIs you sent me this past winter and insert the Aspect code into all of them. It took about 30 seconds with some freeware program I found - so no problem there. I also have all the resolution INIs, along with the corresponding games, backed up on my computer, which we can use those as a starting point. Unfortunately, the games are from RX's set, so it doesn't include clones and whatnot. I do want to include these so we can release these INIs to the public.

Anyway this is what we need to do.

1. Sort all of the ROMs into their native resolution folder - i.e. - 320x240

2. Create one perfect pixel INI for each of these resolution sets - already completed this past winter, so we should be good with just tweaking for 1.4!

3. Once this is done, I have a program that basically will take the file names from one folder (ROMS), minus the extension, and apply it to the files in another folder's contents (INIs)

4. Launch each game to make sure its OK

Basically, the hardest part is sorting the ROMs - the rest should be easy! We can talk more tomorrow. If anyone wants to help (Bigby) who is good at organizing (Bigby) they'd be more than (Bigby) welcome! :o

Cheers everyone

Edited by PhilExile

Dear +T+,

Using some good old magic (from the DOS era) me and PhilExile

were able to import - and create - inis in pixel perfect for all

current supported games in FBL. So, in my opinion we can leave

this bug thing behind. At the moment we are refining and distilling

our creation, and as soon as possible it will be delivered to the public.

Phil? Any words?

C.

Glad to hear you were able to work around this issue. In retrospect there are many simple things I could have done to have avoided it but post-release I didn't see any practical way to correct it without screwing up people's 1.4 configs. At least I'll know for the future.