FBL 1.4 pixel perfect ini discussion

+ T +

Hi T, yes, that is what I did.

In 1.3, if the size is perfect - meaning no distortions, then in 1.4 its very slightly off horizontally - not vertically. The horizontal size of the screen is either too small or large, but by a very minute amount.

I assume the size values in the INI interact with 'base' screen size and position values in FBL. Is it possible that these change very slightly between the two versions?

You should add the extra line to the ini before adjusting the screen, not after.
Edited by PhilExile

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi T, yes, that is what I did.

In 1.3, if the size is perfect - meaning no distortions, then in 1.4 its very slightly off horizontally - not vertically. The horizontal size of the screen is either too small or large, but by a very minute amount.

I assume the size values in the INI interact with 'base' screen size and position values in FBL. Is it possible that these change very slightly between the two versions?

You should add the extra line to the ini before adjusting the screen, not after.

Yes yes,

Phil, right on the spot.

This is exactly my problem.

Absolutely the same results as me.

I will be away for a couple of days now.

I have a lot of work to do.

But in the end, if the problem could not be found/fixed,

I will try to manually export and correct all my INI somehow.

I have one idea already...

PS. Phil --- Please remember that NeoGeo has TWO distinct INIs!

One for 320x224 and other for 304x224!

Not all have same width!

Example:

304 pixels in width:

http://maws.mameworld.info/img/ps/snap/mslug.png

320 pixels in width:

http://maws.mameworld.info/img/ps/snap/samsho.png

I hate this issue...

Cospefogo.

But in the end, if the problem could not be found/fixed,

I will try to manually export and correct all my INI somehow.

I have one idea already...

What's the idea? Please share! :lol:

PS. Phil --- Please remember that NeoGeo has TWO distinct INIs!

One for 320x224 and other for 304x224!

Not all have same width!

Yes, I found that out this past winter. Usually, MAWS list them as all the same size unfortunately. Thank you for the heads up though.

T, would it be hard to add the functionality to be able to adjust the screen size by using the D-Pad? It would be great if one 'click' to the left, right, up, down would equal the smallest integer change of screen size. Its really hard - and usually takes a lot of trial and error, to set the size exactly right with the right thumbstick.

Thanks again

Edited by PhilExile

T, would it be hard to add the functionality to be able to adjust the screen size by using the D-Pad? It would be great if one 'click' to the left, right, up, down would equal the smallest integer change of screen size. Its really hard - and usually takes a lot of trial and error, to set the size exactly right with the right thumbstick.

It's possible, but you need 2 sticks to resize the screen and you only have one d-pad so how would that work? The other thing with FBL's screen sizing system, as you may or may not have discovered yet, is that once you have a pixel perfect screen size set, if you even move the screen (without resizing) you will still introduce slight distortion and will have to resize again. So you would need the same precision on both the move and resize controls.

It's possible, but you need 2 sticks to resize the screen and you only have one d-pad so how would that work? The other thing with FBL's screen sizing system, as you may or may not have discovered yet, is that once you have a pixel perfect screen size set, if you even move the screen (without resizing) you will still introduce slight distortion and will have to resize again. So you would need the same precision on both the move and resize controls.

Hej hoj!

Suggestion:

D-Pad alone, increases and decreases screen size.

Hold A, or X, or Y, or both triggers + D-Pad, moves the offset X and Y.

And yes yes yes...

We areaware of the slight ditortion/blur that could happen when you move around a screen in pixel perfect set.

I even benefit of it sometimes (on non rotated vertical games) to find the best sharp spot!

Thanks, +T+!

+C+

EDIT: I dropped a mug of coffee+milk in my apple aluminun keyboard few weeks ago...

Now the space bar is not registering correctly. Sorry for my "glued on each other" words sometimes.

Edited by Cospefogo

It's possible, but you need 2 sticks to resize the screen and you only have one d-pad so how would that work?

I'd like the two thumbstick's functionality to remain the same. We'd just like to add screen sizing to the D-Pad for precise changes. Basically, it would serve the same purpose as the right thumbstick, but one increment would equal one click in whatever direction.

The other thing with FBL's screen sizing system, as you may or may not have discovered yet, is that once you have a pixel perfect screen size set, if you even move the screen (without resizing) you will still introduce slight distortion and will have to resize again.

This hasn't been my experience. Basically this is how I find the perfect pixel proportion:

1. After I launch the game, I find the correct vertical size. This is fairly easy with scanlines because the pixels will 'lock' into place and become very sharp. If they aren't 'locked' the entire game screen appears blurry. This is most noticeable in type.

2. Then I re-size the horizontal. When resizing, you can see multiple lines (or waves) in the image as you are changing the horizontal size. It starts off with a lot of lines throughout, but as you get closer to the correct value, these lines begin to lessen in number until they are eliminated.

3. I then move the screen's position with the left thumbstick left to right to see if any distortions appear. If it is correct, there will be none and the screen will move smoothly across the monitor.

So you would need the same precision on both the move and resize controls.

I think we would just need it on the resize, the move doesn't seem to affect things in my experience. I'm going to try to make a high resolution video of this tonight or tomorrow to upload for people to see.

Thanks again!

Suggestion:

D-Pad alone, increases and decreases screen size.

Hold A, or X, or Y, or both triggers + D-Pad, moves the offset X and Y.

Holding both triggers is a great idea. I never thought of that. :lol:

And yes yes yes...

We areaware of the slight ditortion/blur that could happen when you move around a screen in pixel perfect set.

I even benefit of it sometimes (on non rotated vertical games) to find the best sharp spot!

Really? I never noticed this. I always moved the game screen around to see if any distortion happened. I'm going to try to make a really high res video of this ASAP.

Thanks all

Really? I never noticed this. I always moved the game screen around to see if any distortion happened. I'm going to try to make a really high res video of this ASAP.

Thanks all

Yes!

I use to pay attention on this stuff while on vertical NON rotated games.

Also, on all games you can get darker or lighter scanlines (if you have the filter ON, of course)

when you move the screen around on a MININUM INTEGER at time.

I have noticed 3 different scanlines, let's say, "bright models".

=)

C.

Edited by Cospefogo

Bad English on my previous post.

Just to be clear:

- The scanlines filter is working flawlessly on both 1.3 and 1.4

- The only problem until now is the migration of INIs, but once I open a game in FBL 1.4 and set the pixel perfect + scanlines, that's it. Super OK and nice, good as gold.

And what I was trying to explain on above was:

- When I set up a scanline filter, with the screen pixe perfect, if I move the whole screen around in tini-tiny minimum touch of the left thumbstick, the scanlines, all together, change it's intensity, giving me a very nice method to choose from the darker lines, to medium, and to lighter lines.

3 options of scanlines, all perfect fit in the image, no problems at all!

Well!

I did discover a new feature!

=)

+C+

Hey Cos,

Something doesn't sound right. Lets wait till I can get home and test this some more. I have a feeling your television is doing some odd upscaling/filtering to the 480p image.

Talk soon

Phil,

I am on 720p.

I have not found any advantages to stick in 480p.

I will make a video of this weird "feature"and share with you guys.

=C=