Final Burn Legends 1.4

+ T +

Wow - very impressive.

T, I keep forgetting to ask - does FBL take advantage of additional RAM and/or upgraded CPUs if you have them?

No idea. I don't have either so I can't test but most games in FBL run at full speed in HD with filters anyway, so it's hard to see why you would need them. Of course there are the CPS3 games that still run out of memory on a standard Xbox but based on iq's video it looks like those days could be numbered. :lol:

Metal Slug 3 did not run @ 720p here, in both versions.

As kenshiro said, Metal Slug 3 works fine at 480p, 720p, or 1080i. It always has since FBL1.0 so I've no idea why you're finding this the case. You shouldn't have to reduce your resolution to get it to play. Out of curiousity, is your mslug3.ini imported from 1.3? If so delete it and try again, there is an issue with importing inis that might adversely affect Neogeo games.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical, I go on holiday...

Many millions of thanks to both T and iq for their work on this. I can now play Dai Ou Jou in bed!

Probably more info than you needed, there.

And now I see you're teasing me with SFIII... wow.

Just to throw some of my own thoughts into the mix, here:

I've no idea about this pixel perfect thing. I just left the screen sizes as they were, switched the Widescreen Fix on, and everything seems to be the right size to these old eyes. I use bilinier and scanlines, so maybe this combination is hiding most artefacts I would see otherwise.

However, what would be nice for a future release is if these perfect inis (that's what I'm gonna call them anyways) were somehow incorporated, maybe as just the default inis sitting in the folder (easy enough to delete if you don't like, right?) - so I could at least see how all you guys think these games should look.

Secondly, is there a default ini that's used that I can edit someplace? There seem to be some settings that are only available in game, and yet they're settings I'd like a certain way that's the opposite to the default, so I am finding I'm having to go into every game and change a few (in particular, I like the FPS switched on, high score saving set to yes, and I tend to fiddle with the analogue dead zone settings).

This leads me onto my third point, which might be relevent to the current discussion about certain ROMS not working.

Firstly, can we just get this out of the way? If I'm using a romset that worked with FBL 1.3, should all those roms work with 1.4? I understand there have been some additions, and that they're from a different MAME to whatever 1.3 was based on, but what I'd like to get out of the way is the idea that I now have to go off and grab another collection of roms for this?

I say this because I too thought that I had roms that were not working (even though they all worked with 1.3), however, I did make an interesting discovery last night: I noticed that the default setting for the NEOGEO bios is set to US version 6 or something. I too could not get mslug3 or KOF98 to work. (I will say, though, that I did not get any error, they just hung on the green screen that appears before the game). I got around this by going into the game, clicking the right thumb to get to the in game menu (strangely, I had to click three times for these games), and then setting the bios to 2.3. BAM, games worked perfectly then?

Any of that make any sense, like, at all?

EDIT:

Also, one of the new cave games wouldn't work at 1080i, think it was espgaluda. Had to drop down to 720 to get it to work.

Edited by RatherAnnoyed

I've no idea about this pixel perfect thing. I just left the screen sizes as they were, switched the Widescreen Fix on, and everything seems to be the right size to these old eyes. I use bilinier and scanlines, so maybe this combination is hiding most artefacts I would see otherwise.

However, what would be nice for a future release is if these perfect inis (that's what I'm gonna call them anyways) were somehow incorporated, maybe as just the default inis sitting in the folder (easy enough to delete if you don't like, right?) - so I could at least see how all you guys think these games should look.

Pixel perfect settings aren't something I'll be adding to the emulator and certainly not as the defaults. I understand some people prefer to have all their games at different screen sizes but by default the emulator should and does display games at 4:3 just like an arcade machine. That being said I don't mind adding features that make achieving these settings easier for people if they want them.

Secondly, is there a default ini that's used that I can edit someplace? There seem to be some settings that are only available in game, and yet they're settings I'd like a certain way that's the opposite to the default, so I am finding I'm having to go into every game and change a few (in particular, I like the FPS switched on, high score saving set to yes, and I tend to fiddle with the analogue dead zone settings).

There is a main FinalBurnLegends.ini located in the \ini\ folder, however none of the settings you refer to can currently be set globally. These wouldn't be a problem to add, the only one I would be hesitant to include is hi-score saving since this can cause problems with certain games.

Firstly, can we just get this out of the way? If I'm using a romset that worked with FBL 1.3, should all those roms work with 1.4? I understand there have been some additions, and that they're from a different MAME to whatever 1.3 was based on, but what I'd like to get out of the way is the idea that I now have to go off and grab another collection of roms for this?

I say this because I too thought that I had roms that were not working (even though they all worked with 1.3), however, I did make an interesting discovery last night: I noticed that the default setting for the NEOGEO bios is set to US version 6 or something. I too could not get mslug3 or KOF98 to work. (I will say, though, that I did not get any error, they just hung on the green screen that appears before the game). I got around this by going into the game, clicking the right thumb to get to the in game menu (strangely, I had to click three times for these games), and then setting the bios to 2.3. BAM, games worked perfectly then?

Any of that make any sense, like, at all?

EDIT:

Also, one of the new cave games wouldn't work at 1080i, think it was espgaluda. Had to drop down to 720 to get it to work.

A 1.3 ROM set is not suitable for use with 1.4. Some games will work but others will not. You'll need to get used to updating your ROMsets because there will likely be changes in every new version from now on. Anyone who remembers FBA-XXX Pro will know I like to keep things up-to-date in this respect. I recommend everybody use the provided DATs to check your ROMs before running any new version of FBL and certainly before reporting any problems.

The Cave game you're referring to is Guwange. As far as I'm aware it's the only game in FBL that doesn't work in 1080i but as you say, 720p is fine.

You're right, billinear hides the artifacts.

Once Cos and I finish our set, we can post links for download. I doubt it will be any more than 1 meg at most. Also, if T wants, we could include these with FBL at some point. Not as the default, but just included in a folder if you want to use them. They will be for 480i/p only, unless Cos wants to make 720p too. The only games I could see the point of that for though would be the widescreen Capcom ones.

Wow - very impressive.

T, I keep forgetting to ask - does FBL take advantage of additional RAM and/or upgraded CPUs if you have them?

No idea. I don't have either so I can't test but most games in FBL run at full speed in HD with filters anyway, so it's hard to see why you would need them. Of course there are the CPS3 games that still run out of memory on a standard Xbox but based on iq's video it looks like those days could be numbered. :lol:

Neo and I could help you test. We both have upgraded Xbox systems. :o

The reason I ask is because it does help play games at a consistent frame rate and would likely enable some game that may prove unplayable on a standard Xbox work. For instance - in CoinOps, ELEVATOR ACTION RETURNS plays at a steady 60fps, whereas on a normal Xbox it runs between 35-40fps. Also, I can load and play MONSTER MAULERS at 60fps. This rom can't load on a standard.

Thanks for the swift replies guys.

I really don't have time to mess around with building rompacks these days, and I'm also on a limited download package. Hopefully someone will put together an upgrade pack that contains only the differences between the 1.3 roms and 1.4.

Can I just ask, are we certain mslug3 is one of those roms that should not work between 1.3 and 1.4? Because as I say, I got it to work by simply changing the bios.

Anyway, I'm happy enough that this release just lets me play the new(ish) cave stuff, to be honest!

+T+: I might be mistaken as to the causes, but it was definitely one of the recently added cave titles that give me an out of memory (i.e. either ket, espgal, or ddp3 - pretty sure it was espgal though).

As I say, might have been something else I fiddled with; maybe I changed the filters before dropping to 720 and that's what fixed it instead? It's possible - I just remember that it wouldn't work off the bat with the settings that were my default, is all.

Wasn't aware of that issue with guwange, mind. Which is strange... because I've been playing that one recently...

You'd think everyone's xbox would be the same, wouldn't you?

hi about FBL 1.4 i have tested these roms that were included in the download:

- wow new fantasy: its upside down

- vimana: no sound

- kiling blade: dont load, crc error

- knights of valour: dont load

- knights of valour superheroes: dont load

- alien sector: doesnt show up in the list

- maze of flott: you cant past the test screen

- osman: graphic glitches

- party time: graphic glitches

someone has the same troubles?? thanks

hi about FBL 1.4 i have tested these roms that were included in the download:

- wow new fantasy: its upside down

- vimana: no sound

- kiling blade: dont load, crc error

- knights of valour: dont load

- knights of valour superheroes: dont load

- alien sector: doesnt show up in the list

- maze of flott: you cant past the test screen

- osman: graphic glitches

- party time: graphic glitches

someone has the same troubles?? thanks

- wow new fantasy: So it is.

- vimana: Sound is unsupported by the current driver.

- kiling blade: Works fine. Your ROM is incorrect.

- knights of valour: Works fine. Your ROM is incorrect.

- knights of valour superheroes: Works fine. Your ROM is incorrect.

- alien sector: Works fine. Your ROM is incorrect.

- maze of flott: Disable DIP switches and it works fine.

- osman: Yes there are, perhaps if we ask iq_132 very nicely he'll take a look one day

- party time: "

PS: Just so you know, there are NO roms included in the official FBL1.4 download.

Edited by + T +

Strange. Because the default bios in FBL 1.3 (i didn't try the 1.4 ATM) is the Unibios 2.3, to avoid this green screen (it is a neogeo self hardware test).

+T+, did you change it (i'm currently at my work, i don't have the sources on my hand)?

Edited by - kenshiro -