Final Burn Legends 1.4

+ T +

- Double dragon is really very very slow ...

End of discussion. FBL plays Double Dragon exactly as the original arcade machine plays it. If you want to play the game at an artificially enhanced speed, use CoinOPS.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Cos (and everybody)

I'm going to be trying out the pixel perfect INIs and FBL 1.4 today. I'll let you all know what I find.

Cos, just so you know, I always had issues with the scanline filter when using 720p mode in FBL. Try turning it off, returning to the game, then turning the scanlines on again.

I saw this same distortion and its why I gave up on 720p and stuck with 480p. If you're TV has a decent upscaler, then 480p looks great. All the guys at the System 11 Shmup forum use this mode.

Cheers everyone!

Hej hej!

The pixel guy is back from the crypt!

I have some news!

First of it all:

+T+, please grab my dino.ini here:

http://famicominvisivel.org/xtras/dino.ini

I am sure you will be curoius to perform

some operations I do explain below...

News: Number One:

I don't know why it did not work yesterday, but finally I was able to

import a INI from FBL 1.3 into FBL 1.4. I did choose to make the

process using a single game to be sure that everything was going smooth.

I did pick Cadillacs & Dinossaurs. It worked! My INI was read by FBL 1.4!!

...and this generated a bug found!

Number Two:

After importing my pixel perfect scanlined screen from Cadillacs into

FBL 1.4 I noticed it was "almost perfect"... strangely the screen was

not absolutely AS IT WAS in FBL 1.3.

I did took pictures, real shots, with my camera. It is easy to spot

the differences. Dear +T+, please give me your opinion on this...

Let me explain in detail each image.

In the pic 1, we have a screen from dino.ini in perfect aspect ratio.

Since I use scanlines filtering it is simple to notice that there is no distortion at all.

It is FBL 1.3.

The second screen shows the same game just opened in FBL 1.4 with

the emulator default clean install screensize. Check the green area.

A lot of ditortions! It's super easy to see that when using scanlines filter.

And the third image is the same game opened in FBL 1.4 BUT using

the imported INI right from FBL 1.3. Ok, it is not as bad as the previous

picture, but it is not correct/perfect as the first one! But wait... It is

the very same INI! Something must be going on under the bridge...

Pay attention to 2 green distortions... One in the bottom of Capcom logo

and one in the bottom of the C letter from the Cadillacs.

Pic 1

picture_fbl_13_pixelperfect.jpg

Pic 2

picture_fbl_14_default.jpg

Pic 3

picture_fbl_14_with_ini_13.jpg

And Number Three:

Here is my INIs for all people interested!

I suggest to run it under FBL 1.3.

And they are 720p!

http://famicominvisivel.org/xtras/fbl_pixel_perfect.zip

Best regards!

Cospefogo.

End of discussion. FBL plays Double Dragon exactly as the original arcade machine plays it. If you want to play the game at an artificially enhanced speed, use CoinOPS.

Mine is slower than your video ... when there are more than 4 caracters on screen it is impossible to play :)

I have use the Gilou9999 INI files ... maybe they slow the game ?

And i use the bigby rom

I will delete the ini and try again

Thanks for that Cospefogo. I'm planning to do a lot of work on FBL over the weekend so I will look into the issue. I may have changed the base value of the default screen size, which would affect the per-game modifiers. I didn't think I changed them, but it seems the most logical explanation. If I do find any changes there I will reset the values to how they were in 1.3. In any case, bear with me and I'll keep you informed.

Thanks +T+!

If you find out somehting, please let me know.

At the moment I will keep running FBL 1.3... I really don't have time to

start adjusting all game screens back again.

Mine is slower than your video ... when there are more than 4 caracters on screen it is impossible to play :)

And i use the bigby rom

Yes yes!

This is what I am trying to say --- The game without any hacks is unplayable, definetely.

It runs slower that the original machine, at least comparing with the video.

Because, after all, I blieve that people from 80's where able to finish the game

on the real hardware.

But, no problem. I suggest we should keep a version fo FBL 1.3 installed

just to play Double Dragon 1 and 2.

Darknior, did you try Double Dragon 1 and 2 in FBL 1.3?

If not, you SHOULD DO THAT. It's wonderful. Smooth, like for example, Final Fight and Streets of Rage!

Ah, and FBL 1.3 says the Double Dragon rom I am using is --- "Double Dragon Bootleg (with HDXXXXXX)",

where X is a number I don't recall right now.

I need to re-check this info.

...or keep a parallel version of FBL 1.3 to have great moments of fast play

with Double Dragon 1 and 2!

Hi Cos (and everybody)

I'm going to be trying out the pixel perfect INIs and FBL 1.4 today. I'll let you all know what I find.

Cos, just so you know, I always had issues with the scanline filter when using 720p mode in FBL. Try turning it off, returning to the game, then turning the scanlines on again.

I saw this same distortion and its why I gave up on 720p and stuck with 480p. If you're TV has a decent upscaler, then 480p looks great. All the guys at the System 11 Shmup forum use this mode.

Cheers everyone!

Hej Phil!

I will check the 480p mode.

But maybe my TV does not have a good upscaling, since the hardware SLG3000 scanlines

became messed up in my television (as I did show in the Smhups Forum.)

And i use the bigby rom

Darknior!

As soon as I get home, I can send you my Double Dragons and

my INIs. So, please, test it in FBL 1.3. Please drop me a PM with

your email address!

Rejoice, guys!

Cospefogo.

OK, I did some quick testing and from what I can tell, the perfect pixel INIs, previously created in version 1.3, work fine with a tweak here or there. For instance, sometimes I'll pull up a game and the screen will be off horizontally or vertically by 1 pixel X/Y coordinate. This used to happen time to time in 1.3 as well when you were opening a game up 'fresh' so to say.

Cos, I think you're problems are from a buggy scanline filter in 720p mode. Test out the 480p INIs and let us know what you find.

+T+ could you look into adding the rotation 'lock' for the next release? I just played '99: THE LAST WAR and each time I launch the rom, I need to change the screen rotation to 180 degrees from the default 270 degrees. This would be great for people with TATE setups.

Thank you again for all the hard work!

I'm going to be working on the complete perfect pixel set and will provide it to Fumanchu (or whoever) for distribution. This may take me a while, but I'm going to bang out some now for the next hour or so.

Edited by PhilExile

Has Anyone Having Trouble Playing Puzzle Fighter? I can Insert a Coin and Press Start But none of the game buttons do anything?

Also, I look at the button Config section, and I see no Button 1 or Button 2 options... :)

Will get that fixed for the next release. Thanks for reporting.

OK, I did some quick testing and from what I can tell, the perfect pixel INIs, previously created in version 1.3, work fine with a tweak here or there. For instance, sometimes I'll pull up a game and the screen will be off horizontally or vertically by 1 pixel X/Y coordinate. This used to happen time to time in 1.3 as well when you were opening a game up 'fresh' so to say.

Cos, I think you're problems are from a buggy scanline filter in 720p mode. Test out the 480p INIs and let us know what you find.

+T+ could you look into adding the rotation 'lock' for the next release? I just played '99: THE LAST WAR and each time I launch the rom, I need to change the screen rotation to 180 degrees from the default 270 degrees. This would be great for people with TATE setups.

Thank you again for all the hard work!

I'm going to be working on the complete perfect pixel set and will provide it to Fumanchu (or whoever) for distribution. This may take me a while, but I'm going to bang out some now for the next hour or so.

So are you saying that 1.4 is behaving precisely the same way as 1.3 in this regard? From what you say it doesn't seem like doing anything to the default base screen size values will do anything other than mess things up for you so I'll hold off on that until I hear what conclusions you come to from your respective testing.