Good news everyone!

iq_132

Also I know I shouldn't be requesting game drivers etc, but its such an important game I thought I'd request it anyway. "Golden Axe II revenge of death adder" is very glitchy in coinops.

Extremely unlikely to ever see this in a playable state on fbal.

The more I improve it on coinops the more it runs like crap. The tradeoffs are graphics or frame rate. You get one or the other.

For fba, I would have to port the cpu core, graphics routines, and a lot of intermediate junk. You're not looking at a few hour process. Even after that, there's no guarantee that it would run at a decent frame rate at all.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I know I shouldn't be requesting game drivers etc, but its such an important game I thought I'd request it anyway. "Golden Axe II revenge of death adder" is very glitchy in coinops.

The more I improve it on coinops the more it runs like crap. The tradeoffs are graphics or frame rate. You get one or the other.

For fba, I would have to port the cpu core, graphics routines, and a lot of intermediate junk. You're not looking at a few hour process. Even after that, there's no guarantee that it would run at a decent frame rate at all.

thanks for the answers iq. :) u think donkey kong junior and demon front will ever be something to see the light of day on fba/arcade for xbox1?

just curious and i must say, all your hard work is truly appreciated dude. :clapping: cheers~ :)

Never understood the appeal of 'pixel perfect' myself. Just seems like an inventive way of making arcade games look completely different to how they actually looked in the arcade. All these crazy numbers may be 'pixel' perfect but good old 4:3 is arcade perfect. :)

Same here. This is trend that appeared about 2 years ago (after Cospefogo pointed this out). I had a try and never feel excited. Well, everyone has his own trip. :)

Thanks for the answer too :)

If possible to have it better emulate, i love it ...

Maybe we can use frameskip ... it will be less smooth but if there is no bugs ...

Some interesting stuff on the pixel perfect, which I feel partly responsible for initiating, so I'll just clarify my position:

I'm not all that bothered by it either.

I only mentioned it as it seemed to be the "big deal" in CoinOPS recently (along with HD).

That is, it is - as far as I can make out - seemingly seen as the one feature that it has that FBA/FBL doesn't, and it often comes across to me that most people also see this as reason alone to have EVERYTHING running through CoinOPS.

Now, personally, I'd rather most games just filled a 4:3 (non-verts, I mean). I probably won't even notice any difference in the aspect ratios anyway (certainly not if I'm relying on a 25 year old memory of said game, you know?)

Also, as I said, FBA/FBL has more options on the filters, and I quite like the scanlines on there. You don't get any of these if you run an FBA core game in Cops. All you can do (over and above the CoinOPS settings, that is) is resize the screen. (Again, as far as I'm aware.)

Having said all that, I got a bit lost in the discussion earlier: are you all saying that most of these games in the arcade had different resolutions but ended up being stretched to a 4:3 anyway? Apologies if I got completely the wrong end, there.

In short: if I have CoinOPS displaying to 720p and I use Pixel Perfect, are you telling me that this isn't in any way necessarily representative of how it would have looked in the arcades? Then yeah, I agree: what's the point? How SHOULD I be setting the options on that emu then? Just "Scaled"?

Secondly: what's the easiest way to get FBL to have the screen automatically size at 4:3 for every game? Maybe I set it up wrong, but it seems that with every game I start up I have to re-size the screen the first time (it remembers from then on, for just that game).

EDIT: apologies for the massive side-track, equally massive thanks to everyone involved in getting these games working and sprucing up FBL.

Edited by RatherAnnoyed

Having said all that, I got a bit lost in the discussion earlier: are you all saying that most of these games in the arcade had different resolutions but ended up being stretched to a 4:3 anyway? Apologies if I got completely the wrong end, there.

That's correct. Arcade games run at a huge variety of different resolutions, but when output, the display device will stretch the video horizontally to fill the screen. The amount of stretching would vary slightly from screen to screen so there is no way to have one single value that is arcade perfect, but 4:3 is a great all-round ratio that gives a visually accurate representation of how the game would look on an arcade monitor. All 'pixel perfect' does is take the game's internal resolution and doubles/triples it which means you end up with all kinds of crazy shapes and sizes which you would never see on a genuine arcade machine since all standard arcade monitors are 4:3 or 3:4.

EDIT: As to your question about how to set the screen in FBL. By default FBL displays horizontal games in 4:3 and vertical games in 3:4 which is exactly how they should be so really you shouldn't need to adjust anything at all. Unless of course you have an HDTV in which case you would need to switch it to 4:3 mode (I don't have one personally so I'm assuming that's possible) to get a visually accurate display.

Edited by + T +

if you can add an option to disable audio for video preview too

Thats a good shout, would really like to see that implemented in a future update, the ability to disable audio for video previews. I always thought that feature was missing every time I play FBL and would be cool to see it added.

Could such a thing ever be ported over to FBL and working 100%?

Thanks

omg I forgot about that game, I gave up hope of it working in coinops as it couldn't be fixed for whatever reason. I think because of extremely complicated driver issues. Shame because that game looks excellent and I never even saw it in the arcade so would love to play it properly (the glitches render is a bad gaming experience!)

well suggested! I second that!

che che check it!

Edited by sbpaabck

oh lol sorry should've read this first. Sounds fair enough to me....

How about a dedicated xbox emu stripped down to run this game and this game alone? Or one built just for this game?

IQ, is there just not enough grunt in the xbox? I appreciate it would take too long to do this unless you had a real desire to do it for yourself or if you were getting paid a pretty penny for your time!

Anyways thanks for the above post nice to know the issues behind the lack of death adder 2.

Cheers

Never understood the appeal of 'pixel perfect' myself. Just seems like an inventive way of making arcade games look completely different to how they actually looked in the arcade. All these crazy numbers may be 'pixel' perfect but good old 4:3 is arcade perfect. :)

Same here. This is trend that appeared about 2 years ago (after Cospefogo pointed this out). I had a try and never feel excited. Well, everyone has his own trip. :clapping:

:) lol each to their own, i've been trying to use pixel perfect and those edges still look jaggy no matter what I do!

hehe feel better for having it on than having it off if you know what I mean.

Erm... yeah :)

That's correct. Arcade games run at a huge variety of different resolutions, but when output, the display device will stretch the video horizontally to fill the screen. The amount of stretching would vary slightly from screen to screen so there is no way to have one single value that is arcade perfect, but 4:3 is a great all-round ratio that gives a visually accurate representation of how the game would look on an arcade monitor. All 'pixel perfect' does is take the game's internal resolution and doubles/triples it which means you end up with all kinds of crazy shapes and sizes which you would never see on a genuine arcade machine since all standard arcade monitors are 4:3 or 3:4.

EDIT: As to your question about how to set the screen in FBL. By default FBL displays horizontal games in 4:3 and vertical games in 3:4 which is exactly how they should be so really you shouldn't need to adjust anything at all. Unless of course you have an HDTV in which case you would need to switch it to 4:3 mode (I don't have one personally so I'm assuming that's possible) to get a visually accurate display.

Thanks for the confirmation, + T +.

I did not realise this. With all the fuss about Pixel Perfect I assumed that what this meant was that we would be seeing the games exactly as they were in the arcades! Obviously not. I'll bear that in mind in the future.

Maybe my strange FBL behaviour is related to the fact I'm putting it through an HDTV, yes. And yeah, it's at 16:9.

If I recall correctly, it seems to default all games to a 4:3 square that doesn't quite fill the vertical space available (i.e. I have to resize it if I want it to fill the screen vertically).

I'll try switching the TV to a 4:3 ratio the next time I fire it up. Thanks again.

EDIT: just in addition to this subject (and this IS related to the thread), these Cave games - was it the same deal with these? I remember the resolution of them being very strange (a very "thin" vertical resolution, if you get me), but were they stretched to a 3:4 screen in the arcades also? You know what? Thought just occurs... never seen a Cave game in an arcade!

Edited by RatherAnnoyed

For fba, I would have to port the cpu core, graphics routines, and a lot of intermediate junk. You're not looking at a few hour process. Even after that, there's no guarantee that it would run at a decent frame rate at all

Thanks for the reply, I understand it could be a real pain to port into FBL but the game is such a good one I just had to ask what the possibility was of having it playable in FBL. The biggest flaw I think when you play it in coinops is the character sprite shadows are white instead of black as seen in that video that sbpaabck posted.

How about a dedicated xbox emu stripped down to run this game and this game alone? Or one built just for this game?

IQ, is there just not enough grunt in the xbox? I appreciate it would take too long to do this unless you had a real desire to do it for yourself or if you were getting paid a pretty penny for your time!

Anyways thanks for the above post nice to know the issues behind the lack of death adder 2.

Cheers

There used to be an emulator called Modeler v0.9.3a which was an arcade emulator that ran Sega System 32, Sega System 32 Multi and Sega Model 1. The emulator itself is quite old now but it ran about 15 games in total I think, its a shame this was never ported to xbox as Golden Axe II revenge of death adder ran perfectly.

Edited by Mr Feud