Good news everyone!

iq_132

Hey T, I know what you are saying, but I disagree. :)

The easiest example I can give is the NES (I know its not an arcade, but bear with me) Its native resolution is 256x240, which means its 'perfect pixel' is 512x480. The actual NES output is stretched to 640x480, the length of an SDTV screen.

Now, with perfect pixel, you can see bars on either side, but there are ways around this:

1. SDTV + Extron Emotia - Using this device, along with an XBOX in 480p mode, you can achieve true 240p output from the XBOX. This is the same as an actual NES. However, the bars are still there. Luckily, the Emotia has a horizontal stretch dial so you can make the output fit 95% of the screen - its not perfect, but damn near close.

2. HDTV + SLG3000 (optional) - Set the XBOX to output 480p and use 10x11 pixel ratio. This will make everything look really thin on your HDTV - aka the black bars on either side actually get bigger. Now, change your TV's picture setting from 4:3 to 16:9. This will stretch the displayed image to be a perfect 640x480 image. If you use an SLG3000 in combination with these settings, it gives the appearance of the original NES output.

The same sort of tweaks can be done for arcade games, but I've found most of them render fine. For instance, I play Ms. Pac-Man a lot on my vertical 'tate' PVM. I can't tell the difference between it and a real arcade machine in my local bar.

Some games don't work right though, as +T+ is pointing out, however, its pixel perfect is essential, especially if you are either using 240p mode via the Emotia or simulating scanlines with the SLG3000. Everything 'locks' into place and looks very sharp - that's the best way I can explain it.

Never understood the appeal of 'pixel perfect' myself. Just seems like an inventive way of making arcade games look completely different to how they actually looked in the arcade. All these crazy numbers may be 'pixel' perfect but good old 4:3 is arcade perfect. :)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yes, if are actually going to take a proportional resolution and use an external device to stretch it to 4:3 then you are indeed achieving an accurate reproduction of the original display. But I'm sure you'll agree that most users don't have the benefit of such additional equipment and therefore won't achieve anything resembling the original hardware using these 'pixel perfect' settings. I understand that a lot of people see using proportional resolutions as improving on the original video by not stretching it to full screen as the original output would have done. I guess this is the same as graphics filters, some like the 'enhanced' look and others prefer a more accurate representation of original system. Each to their own I suppose, it just irks me whenever I hear anyone describing 'pixel perfect' as being more true to the original system. This simply isn't so unless you're using a setup such as yours to achieve 'pixel perfect 4:3'.

I know what your saying, however, anyone with an HDTV can do this. Its only if you want scanlines that you'd need an SLG3000.

I'm guessing 80% of the people out there don't even notice or tweak their screen settings though.

Also, EVERYONE should try to get a PVM (RGB monitor) these days. People are practically giving them away - literally. Check your local Craigslist!

Well yes, if are actually going to take a proportional resolution and use an external device to stretch it to 4:3 then you are indeed achieving an accurate reproduction of the original display. But I'm sure you'll agree that most users don't have the benefit of such additional equipment and therefore won't achieve anything resembling the original hardware using these 'pixel perfect' settings. I understand that a lot of people see using proportional resolutions as improving on the original video by not stretching it to full screen as the original output would have done. I guess this is the same as graphics filters, some like the 'enhanced' look and others prefer a more accurate representation of original system. Each to their own I suppose, it just irks me whenever I hear anyone describing 'pixel perfect' as being more true to the original system. This simply isn't so unless you're using a setup such as yours to achieve 'pixel perfect 4:3'.

Never understood the appeal of 'pixel perfect' myself. Just seems like an inventive way of making arcade games look completely different to how they actually looked in the arcade. All these crazy numbers may be 'pixel' perfect but good old 4:3 is arcade perfect. :)

100% correct, been banging on about this for over 2 yrs now. Pixel Perfect does not exist, mathematically it leaves percentage pixels.

Its Pixel Accurate, thats about as close as you will get, see Madmab emu's for closer datails.

honestly I'm not that interested in pixel perfect stuff either, but I see no problem in supporting it for those who want it. phil has the stuff for it as far as I know. a while back, there was a bug with the rotation code which I fixed for him, but the change was never implemented in a new release. if you are interested, just send me a pm. its super easy. 2 minute fix (literally).

This is a "future request" as it took me awhile to find my old message and i don't want to lose it. please ignore for now, and thanks for working on this.

----------

Just got this running today. Well done!

couple of notes/requests:

1. screenshot changing....i'd like a means of changing the screenshots via the X button as there is no right stick on my arcade sticks. Would also like to see a change in screenshot/image every 5 seconds or so. this will help a ton

2. Control Changing: I'd like to 2nd the opinion/request of someone earlier in this thread. We street fighter players would much rather have a "push the button you want to use for this function" style of control scheme setup, the way FBA-XXX Pro had, than a "highlight the button function and scroll through a list of mappings" that FBL does.

3. Filter ability in the main game list. Yes, i know we could access filters from the main menu, but it's counter-intuitive to do a filter listing that way. I'd rather have the main list be filter-able on the fly, especially for games in Final Burn. Our group really likes to be able to filter out the difference between Neo Geo, CPS1, and CPS2 boards quickly for the kind of stuff we do

4. (this might already be in, but if not i wanted to mention it) The ability to create custom filters on the fly. I'd like to be able to search for games with the words "Street" and "Fighter" and save the search as a filter.

5. (longshot, but let's try anyway) Networking capabilities, if possible. Not for online play, but more for easy access to download extras. Even a simple FTP server that can run for updates and then when it exits, it relaunches the emu (so it doesn't tie up resources). good if you want to drop out of a game to add screenshots, cheats, or guides. Would be even better if it had the ability to download directly from online resources.

6. (even longer shot) Network matches.

--------

this was awesome, thank you

Something I would like everybody to keep in mind; I'm really not much of a coder. I understand enough to be able to tweak existing code or add new code from other sources even troubleshoot problems but when it comes to coding something from scratch I just wouldn't know where to begin. It's important to me to be open about my limitations from the get-go as (while I do surprise myself occasionally at what I am actually able to do) I wouldn't want anyone to have any false expectations and certainly wouldn't want to be seen as someone that implies I'm capable of things on which I can never deliver.

Also, my primary interest is in the emulation side of things. Drivers, performance, and compatibility updates will always take priority over interface-related changes and certainly in this initial 1.4 release I haven't touched the frontend code at all. That isn't to say I won't in future of course, again I just want to keep everyone up to speed with how things are.

All that being said, for my side of things I will take every request into consideration. I would stress again though that any requests are best saved until after the 1.4 release since they are in danger of being lost here.

Something I would like everybody to keep in mind; I'm really not much of a coder. I understand enough to be able to tweak existing code or add new code from other sources even troubleshoot problems but when it comes to coding something from scratch I just wouldn't know where to begin. It's important to me to be open about my limitations from the get-go as (while I do surprise myself occasionally at what I am actually able to do) I wouldn't want anyone to have any false expectations and certainly wouldn't want to be seen as someone that implies I'm capable of things on which I can never deliver.

Also, my primary interest is in the emulation side of things. Drivers, performance, and compatibility updates will always take priority over interface-related changes and certainly in this initial 1.4 release I haven't touched the frontend code at all. That isn't to say I won't in future of course, again I just want to keep everyone up to speed with how things are.

All that being said, for my side of things I will take every request into consideration. I would stress again though that any requests are best saved until after the 1.4 release since they are in danger of being lost here.

i hear you on all of the above. i had been searching for that post for a little while, and only wanted it in here so i didn't lose it again.

if you can fix the "rotation bug" and add a pixel perfect setting, it would be greatly appreciated by many of us :). as for the gui , i really like how fba-xxx is sorting games/system (neogeo, cave, cps1...) i...would like to see the same option for FBL, i know the "custom filtered games" does the same thing...but like said above..its not intuitiv ..so if you can take a look at it too..and if you can add an option to disable audio for video preview too :)

if you can add an option to disable audio for video preview too

Thats a good shout, would really like to see that implemented in a future update, the ability to disable audio for video previews. I always thought that feature was missing every time I play FBL and would be cool to see it added.

Also I know I shouldn't be requesting game drivers etc, but its such an important game I thought I'd request it anyway. "Golden Axe II revenge of death adder" is very glitchy in coinops.

Could such a thing ever be ported over to FBL and working 100%?

Thanks

Edited by Mr Feud