does console emulation have a future

gamez fan

im a newbie i admit that but as far as i know the current gen consoles are a real hastle to develop on hence the lack of retro emulation on the 360 ps3 etc and thats the reason were all hangin onto our xboxes with the next gen likely to be just as difficult and if the rumours are true the last in their current form ie download only after that with maybe no physical console to develop on do you think that console emulation has a future or will it die with the last gen

My understanding is that it isn't just the fact that protections are improving to prevent the running of homebrew code, but also that console architectures are becoming less and less similar to the conventional PC architectures. The reason the original Xbox was such a gem for homebrew was the fact that it effectively was a PC in console form (with some minor differences of course). But the motivation for development on new platforms isn't about getting things running better or playing more games, it's about seeing how much can be achieved within the limitations and challenges of the hardware. Even though one system may well be the greatest homebrew console platform ever, it will inevitably die out in favour of new platforms regardless of how much more difficult they are to modify or develop software for since those difficulties are the things that tend to hold the appeal for developers.

Also I don't think you will ever see the number of people owning modded jtaged 360's rise unless they figure out a way of jtagging newer versions of the console which is highly unlikely but never impossible.

Also because the xbox 1 is a much more reliable machine than the 360 (eg overheating), xbox 1 consoles are cheap, much more acessible and easy to mod. Its amazing really what we have on the xbox 1 console at the moment in terms of emulation.

I hope we continue to see good things in the future.

Edited by Mr Feud

I surmise that once a new generation of consoles comes out and the older consoles are being used less and less for online play - we will see an increase in the amount of emulation for the 360 and PS3, but until then I think the original xbox is the way to go (again for the same reasons - it is older [cheaper] and has no official online support - so you have nothing to lose if you modify it.

If you've got a good 360 or PS3, I'd hold onto it - I'm sure it will become useful someday :)

I think it does have a future but with the new cheap linux handhelds coming from South Korea and China (Dingoo and Caanoo) you can basically have all the stuff an xbox does in a portable format.

You can hook up to tv, plug in controllers etc I believe that will be the future of emulation but as previously mentioned consoles should always have a place although probably never be as good as the xbox1 in terms of versatility and ease of modifications.

I got my xboxes, I got my Caanoo. Im very happy :) I got all bases covered at the moment.

When I was a kid I remember wishing so hard that one day I would own all the games ever made for certain systems, I never dreamed my wishes would come true!

todays court rulling in the uk to block the newzbin 2 file sharing link site from october to all bt isp customers and with maybe loads more to follow will this effect the future of emulation cos most emus and updates are released on these types of site cant get say fbl 1.4 if all the sites are blocked