3DS

Ocarina of time came out, along with Resident Evil Mercenaries... So I finally bought a 3DS. Now I know getting something early has its issues, no games, marketplace is barren as far as 3d applications go... what do you expect, its new. But let me tell you this thing is incredible. Although the screen is small, you are looking through it, and the depth is ridiculous.

But thats not what I really wanted to discuss right now.

While playing Zelda, Navi often chimes in suggesting I take a break, and at the beginning of RE is says "take frequent brakes". Thats not how I do things, I play or watch things for extended periods of time. Zelda is very very deep in terms of 3D. The first couple of days, after a few hours I had to turn the 3D depth to half, my eyes were getting tired. I took brakes, but probably not as often as most. The most notable thing was when I woke up, I was aware of everything in relation to me... I was hyper aware of spacial relations. Along with this my mind had a sensation I havent felt for a very long time. And just the other day my balance was off. I have the balance of a trapeze artist... so I noticed it right away.

What am I saying? My mind has created new synapses. I never even considered this! When your eyes get different signals (i.e. real life), its up to the mind to make it 3D. When you look at a tv its 2d. All depth is judged by perspective. But 3D forces your mind to calculate. "3D" is actually happening IN your head. I dont have all the answers, so I dont know why exactly my mind had to grow new synapses. I dont know enough about 3D so I can only speculate.

But it is weird. There is a notable change, I do feel different. And the obvious changes, I am Hyper aware of everything around me now, like its in my head... and I dont need to turn the depth down on Ocarina of time anymore. When I had to turn it down, it was more than eye fatigue... my mind felt alittle tired too. Solidius says there are alot of people getting headaches... I believe it is DIRECTLY related to what it is I am talking about right now.

Sign in! id love to hear what you have to say... ESPECIALLY if you own a 3DS

Well Im not saying this is a small difference either. I havent gotten word from Bambi yet, I understand she played a good amount... but I dot know if she played the 3DS like I have. According to the play logs on this thing, a good portion of my week has been on the 3DS. 27:14 hrs on zelda, 4:30 on RE and over an hour on Xevious.

I need to submit this to a 3DS board... I havent really discussed this elsewhere.

Nah, i hate 3DS. Screen too small, i still hate dual screen, the 3D is not interactive, not many games does the 3D well, you need to focus on "sweet spot" to get the 3D effect, bla bla bla. Oh did i mention lack of games despite owning SSFIV3D, DOA, Samurai Warriors and Nintendogs?

I finally lend the 3DS to a friend for her to play Nintendogs.

Well go ahead and hate on it... you ARE an early adopter... what did you expect for titles? As for the screen... yes it is small. I could complain but the 3D element is so good. This is common, this is what I mostly hear, but I am different. I fucking love this thing and cannot wait till some REAL titles to release.

I was thinking about the synapse building again... asking myself why. Then I remembered that the first couple of days, when I felt the odd sensation... I went for the fridge without looking and fell a few inches short of the handle. That never happens. What I think is that one is focused on the game, pulling themselves into the 3D. Your aware of an environment that does not exist yet it has depth. I believe a possible explanation is a perspective shift. If I throw you into 1 1/2 gravity, you wouldnt be able to do stuff you normally do without effort. Your body would have to relearn how to make things work properly. I think it is the same, the mind is trying to compensate for spacial relations. I play so much of this damn thing that I think the effect was compounded. I believe if someone were to play a little each day it might circumvent the level of change I experienced.

Im still just bouncing ideas around, I still havent even ran a search to see if anyone else is talking about this.

Ok so far all Im seeing is complaints about headaches, nausea etc. Some get headaches right off! It appears that certain configurations of neurological properties may interfere. I will follow up on this but it appears that I am correct at first glance. I will look further and see if anyone actually did the footwork already, but I intend to find the reason for all of this.

Dude I played Street fighter on the 3DS I appreciate your post about how it screws with your head but that is all it's doing!

If I played that thing I would get a classic migraine there is NO WAY i am doing this.

I had to slide the 3D to off... If I did buy a 3DS I would be very, very, very, weary of eye strain for my self.

I haven't played a handheld system in a looooooooooong time. I have no idea where my PSP disappeared to and I know I had a DS...somewhere sometime ago.

Well typical me I didnt follow through and see if I can find ANY topics that get into the details that im looking for.

But I have continued playing. No issues, didnt take long to acclimate. I have noticed something tho, after a bit of time and the eyes get tired, ill notice a triple image like the eyes are catching bit of the image its not supposed to. The closer the object is, the closer the mirrored effect is to the original.

Im about to fire it up so I will pay attn and see if I notice it right off, or if it only happens when the eyes get tired.