CoinOps2 Install Help

8bit

I purchased an xbox from a guy who had already installed xmbc with CoinOps Showcase but for some reason it just stop working ( blank screen / had to reboot the xbox ) so I started doing some reading and found CO2 which looks awesome and I loved Showcase. I downloaded the latest and greatest ( 25GB+ ) but I only have room for about 10GB so I extracted the files and removed videos and most of the roms so I could upload the package to my xbox.

I deleted Showcase but now when I try to run CO2, xmbc just reboots. I've installed four emulators now by simply uploading the folder/files to the Emulators folder on my E drive and ran it from the dashboard ( not sure which one I'm using ).

I'm new to using xmbc and the xbox to play emulated games but not new to the emulation world.

Can someone point me to an install how to or give me some direction as to how I should install it. I've googled CO2 quite a bit and did find that I had to move the 4##### folder within the install folder to my udata and tdata folders which I did but no cigar.

I also haven't been able to find install instructions in any of the CO2 folders.

I appreciate any help you can provide me. I'm having withdrawals. (:

BTW: I don't know if my xbox is soft or hard modded if that matters but Showcase was working fine with any rom I threw at it.

Best Regards,

8bit

You say you deleted most of the ROMs. Earlier versions of CoinOPS 2 were locked by the person running the project to only work if you had more than a certain number of ROMs (please don't ever ask why!). I think the number is 1200 so if you add more than this number of ROMs it should work. Crazy but true.

You say you deleted most of the ROMs. Earlier versions of CoinOPS 2 were locked by the person running the project to only work if you had more than a certain number of ROMs (please don't ever ask why!). I think the number is 1200 so if you add more than this number of ROMs it should work. Crazy but true.

The only change I made to CoinOps Showcase was add a few roms but never took any away before it ended up not running anymore ( showing a blank screen till reboot ).

I'll try that will the new CO2 and see if it makes a difference. I only have about 12 roms in the new install on my xbox. I didn't put a lot of them over there due to size constraints and unsure if I would get it working again.

Thanks for the quick response!

Cheers,

8bit

No dice!

CO2 just won't load at all. When I select it from my list of emulators, the screen goes black then the xmbc logo pops up and takes me back to my main screen.

I think I'm missing a step with installing it. Not sure what to do.

Anyone out there that can help?

Thanks,

8bit

If the games you want to play are all arcade games then MAMEoX128Plus is an excellent alternative to CoinOPS. Both are based on exactly the same Xbox port of MAME.

Thanks T,

I'll give it a try. I did try a version of Mame ( not the 128Plus ) but it did the same thing. Black screen and forced to reboot.

You are right, I have an N64, Intellivision, Atari 2600, 800XL, ST, Amiga NES, SNES Coleco emulators running fine and I installed most of them my self. Arcade is all I need.

Thanks again for your help!

8bit

If the games you want to play are all arcade games then MAMEoX128Plus is an excellent alternative to CoinOPS. Both are based on exactly the same Xbox port of MAME.

Thanks T,

I'll give it a try. I did try a version of Mame ( not the 128Plus ) but it did the same thing. Black screen and forced to reboot.

You are right, I have an N64, Intellivision, Atari 2600, 800XL, ST, Amiga NES, SNES Coleco emulators running fine and I installed most of them my self. Arcade is all I need.

Thanks again for your help!

8bit

While MAMEoX128Plus is an excellent alternative to CoinOPS, its not as good for many reasons... CoinOPS plays Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 with sound, Narc with sound, and a few other Midway titles with sound. It also has a great sorting feature, Pixel Perfect (to play games just like you remember them) and a bunch of other nice features.

I am uploading CoinOPS R4 lite to MU as we speak, it should be done just before I go on holiday (24hours ish) I will also make a torrent when im back.

I will PM you the the link to the blog where the MU links will be posted tomorrow, you will then be able to add \ remove as many roms as you like.

OR Download CoinOPS 2 R3 Standalone (that has no locks either) and just overwrite the files on your xbox fia FTP... It should then be fine.

PS also consider upgrading XBMC to version 3.0.1, See the post by Gary912 below I added some instructions to upgrade XBMC there.

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php...33338&st=11

Edited by ace9094

Personally I use MAMEoX128Plus for anything I can't play on Final Burn Legends. For Midway games like Mortal Kombat I use MAMEoX v0.72 which plays all the T/X/Y Unit Midway games at an acceptable speed with sound, not just the few supported by CoinOPS (even UMK3 is playable). While I'm sure CoinOPS has a few more options geared towards specific users, the above combination fulfills more than enough of my arcade gaming needs without the bad aftertaste.

Also, one small pedantic correction; "pixel perfect" does not display games as you remember them, it displays them in a multiple of their native resolution which allows the use of an unfiltered display without distortion. Games as you remember seeing them were not displayed in this way, they were 'stretched' to fill a 4:3 TV or monitor. So for an authentic experience, pixel perfect should be avoided and your screen should be sized to a 4:3 ratio.

Personally I use MAMEoX128Plus for anything I can't play on Final Burn Legends. For Midway games like Mortal Kombat I use MAMEoX v0.72 which plays all the T/X/Y Unit Midway games at an acceptable speed with sound, not just the few supported by CoinOPS (even UMK3 is playable). While I'm sure CoinOPS has a few more options geared towards specific users, the above combination fulfills more than enough of my arcade gaming needs without the bad aftertaste.

Also, one small pedantic correction; "pixel perfect" does not display games as you remember them, it displays them in a multiple of their native resolution which allows the use of an unfiltered display without distortion. Games as you remember seeing them were not displayed in this way, they were 'stretched' to fill a 4:3 TV or monitor. So for an authentic experience, pixel perfect should be avoided and your screen should be sized to a 4:3 ratio.

I'm Golden!

MameoX128Plus worked!! Just like all of the other emulators I've installed. I ftp'd it to the box, copied my roms over and I'm in business. Many thanks T!

Thanks for the additional info as well. I am a product of the old-school arcade games and love reliving them with my son who does take time out from COD to play them with me.

I did notice that MameoX128Plus loads the arcade a LOT faster than CO2. I had to wait about 2 minutes or so for each game to load with COD. I did later find out that it may be from the game save information and that I could turn it off but that was after co2 stopped working.

BTW: (not asking for it just curious if it exists to your knowledge) was there a version of Ms. Pacman made available as a rom with Ms. Pacman sped up like the recent versions of the arcade game? I'm used to playing this game with Ms. Pacman running at a faster speed. Not sure if just tweaking the speed of the rom would be the same.

Regardless, many thanks my friend!

8bit

The game you're after is the 20th anniversary edition that combined Ms. Pacman and Galaga in a single cabinet. This version runs Ms. Pacman at the faster speed you refer to. In MAME the romset is called '20pacgal.zip'. Hope that helps. ;)

The game you're after is the 20th anniversary edition that combined Ms. Pacman and Galaga in a single cabinet. This version runs Ms. Pacman at the faster speed you refer to. In MAME the romset is called '20pacgal.zip'. Hope that helps. ;)

Yes, that will help!

Cheers!

8bit