Opening the xbox

Robert

Just a stock one as far as i can tell.

The hard drive is a Seagate, type ST310014ACE. I did some googling and it seems that (as you said) it needs to be 'unlocked' before it can be used.

Now, it is only 10 GB, and nobody uses them anymore, so I figured, what the point? It's still in the plastic cradle as I don't have the screwdriver to release it. So really there is no use going any further.

It's all going in the bin now... bye bye xbox

yup, complete waste of time, stock hdd are slow and noisy 5400rpm.

Too bad about the motherboard, it could have a second life, I can understand the disgust that inspires this console given last thread you got involved in this section.

Bin is out the front, waiting for the garbage truck to come around at about 7am tomorrow morning.

The 2 cords (power cord & video/audio) will go into my parts collection to be reused for something, but the rest... gone.

I have a gameboy and a gamecube that face similar fates... again, got them for nothing, they work, but i'll never use them. At least they have a game each. The gamecube has no controller, so the pokemon game is unusable.

there is a big retro community online,if the gamecube and gameboy are in good condition then you should consider selling them on ebay.or your local gamestore or a cash converters even.

Now, I have just learned it has no usable parts (not even a fuse), so there was no point ever getting it.

You could have salvaged the RAM chips and sold them for around $30 actually. If you're handy with a hot air gun, or de-soldering wick to remove them from the mother board; RAM chips are always a hot ticket item because the Xbox has 4 blank spots for RAM on the early mother boards, and these chips can be soldered in to increase the memory.

Also, if your good with striping paint off things in a decent way, your could of stripped the green paint off the Xbox jewel and sold it as a clear jewel, or painted it a new color, for $20. People always want that kind of stuff for their custom cases.