Opening the xbox

Robert

I want to open my xbox and use the hard drive in another computer.

I found a tutorial over at xboxscene, but it only says how to take the hard drive out.

Can it be used in an ordinary pc, or will it only work on xbox?

While I was there I noticed someone called 'yeshuachrist' posting in the BP style (but with better spelling). Is it BP?

yes robert, like fumanchu says. stock XBOX drives are normal drive, they work fine in PC. inside xbox is either 8GB (Western Digital) or 10GB (Seagate) with FATX filesystem so you need a reformat to your PC file system.

I know nothing about unlocking... i didn't have a torx 20, so i smashed off the case, tore out the metal cover, and pretty much vandalised it. Now i have the drives out, although the DVD drive is of no use at all.

If i plugged the drives back in it would work, but physically, it is destroyed.

Just a stock one as far as i can tell.

The hard drive is a Seagate, type ST310014ACE. I did some googling and it seems that (as you said) it needs to be 'unlocked' before it can be used.

Now, it is only 10 GB, and nobody uses them anymore, so I figured, what the point? It's still in the plastic cradle as I don't have the screwdriver to release it. So really there is no use going any further.

It's all going in the bin now... bye bye xbox.

edit: for those who wondered, it cost me nothing, appeared to be working, but no games to test it with, and no controllers. After several months it was clear it would never be used.

Now, I have just learned it has no usable parts (not even a fuse), so there was no point ever getting it.

A couple of things you can try .

Put the drive in a usb enclosure and format it that way either with Windows or preferably linux .

Start the pc with the drive powered but not attached to the ribbon ( have it seated loosely ) as it gets passed the bios attach it and hope it gets seen when the OS starts to get past the locking , this can be fiddly and would be a matter of timing .

USB enclosure is my recommended method ;) .

Edited by lilcuda

like i said, you need your eeprom ,softmodding your xbox is the only way to recover it. You must have an xbox action replay, or maybe you can ask one of your friend. When the ndure will is installed, theres an option to "lock/unlock" the hdd.