Coinops Feature Request: CPS 4:3 Mode

daskrabs

I'd like to reiterate my request for a CPS 4:3 Mode. This is seriously the only thing keeping me from using Coinops for CPS1 and 2 games, and I really want to. Should be an easy enough add.

I know that the native res. of the CPS games is widescreen, but I'd really like to see an option for this so that the CPS-1 and 2 games are displayed in 4:3 when in 720p mode. I tried many different combinations of video settings with no decent result. Thanks to BP for all his hard work.

what emu are you using just now for 4:3 mode in the cps1 and cps2 games?

FBA-XXX Pro 1.28 (480i).

no that wont work in 720p....its not needed in 720p....I dont see any reason for this??? is there any reason anyone would want this....its not aspect correct

It may not be correct aspect ratio, but it's what I'd call "arcade correct." The monitor of the actual machine presents these games in 4:3, obviously. I prefer not to play the game stretched. It's a matter of personal preference.

CPS stuff wasn't 'widescreen'...yes, the resolution isn't a 4:3 ratio, but the games used 4:3 monitors.

...anyway, doesn't turning on the equivalent of 'Maintain Aspect Ratio/Aspect Ratio Correction'/etc (not sure of the setting right now) already run stuff in its intended original 4:3/etc aspect?

the real systems where widescreen....

No they weren't. Capcom used a higher horizontal resolution but they were designed to be stretched vertically to a standard 4:3 screen, there were no widescreen monitors in use at that time. Just look at any circular shapes in a CPS game and you will see they only appear truly circular in 4:3.

To display CPS games in widescreen can be preferable to some but it is not correct or accurate to the original arcade machines.

I'm confused Kenny, what is that 3:4 mode you're talking about ? And what version are you talking about precisely ? Is an upgrade already available ? If yes, Ken I have a link please ?

Edited by waal

will be made 3:4 when aspect correction is enabled but not pixel perfect in CoinOPS 2.1 upgrade(full package) or CoinOPS 3 standalane

I assume you mean 4:3, and thank you for adding this. I have a feeling people will dig this once they see it for themselves.