PC Gaming anf my supposed sucky cpu

Shoma

OKay so Im talking to my cool tech friend and he starts going about how the cool stuff pc gamers get with mods and stuff compared to PC.

He offered me to join him on some online left4dead2 on the PC.

I said my rig is too crappy to play current games and this is where I got confused:

I have a

AMD Anthlon 64 X2 dual Core

Processor 4000+ 2.10 ghz

Ram 2gb (had four and saw no difference)

And MY graphics card that I bought was a Nvidia 8500GT

HE told me that graphic cards usually handle all the work for games, So he said my dual core should be decent enough run most games and to not too pay too much attention to the specs verbatim. ANd I just saw a youtube vid of a guy running ME2 on the same video card so now Im confused cuz I remember I had a rough time running Dragon age Origins a long time ago when I tried it so Im like wtf.

He said I should just get new power supply and graphics cards and i should be okay, but am I able to do current games now? Tech buffs, help me out.

You could use a faster CPU, but it's not the problem with what you mentioned.

2GB of RAM? I would put more in, how do you know it didn't make a difference? Of course you won't notice sitting at the windows desktop, but it will help with drive swaps and load times etc in newer games. Stutters you may think are CPU/GPU related are likely drive swapping with large files, in games with seamless loading.

That 8500GT IS your huge bottleneck. The Mobility Radeon x1600 in my old laptop can run circles around it.

You could use a faster CPU, but it's not the problem with what you mentioned.

2GB of RAM? I would put more in, how do you know it didn't make a difference? Of course you won't notice sitting at the windows desktop, but it will help with drive swaps and load times etc in newer games. Stutters you may think are CPU/GPU related are likely drive swapping with large files, in games with seamless loading.

That 8500GT IS your huge bottleneck. The Mobility Radeon x1600 in my old laptop can run circles around it.

The I said the the extra 2 didnt help was because I bought them to help run dragon age faster thinking it was becuase of my RAM. WHen i maxed out to four the game still stuttered the exact same way as it did when I had two gigs. would have kept them(cuz they did hurt the pocket) if they helped the game run smoother.

And.... I didnt think my card was so sucky, lol.. ouch.

P.S - my bad bout posting in wrong section

I just checked out a bunch of Youtube videos of ME2 with your card, all I can say is "Nuh uh...20fps isn't playable".

With almost everything turned down low, on my x1650 I could get the game to run smoothly, but I did not enjoy playing it that way at all and in some really active scenes I got a bit of slowdown.

Start with a new video card, you'll know if adding more RAM will help you after that...though I honestly suggest it anyway.

what is the card to get in the 150usd price range? I've been thinking of upgrading myself.

I'm so sick of trying to figure it out. For $150~ you could get a Radeon 5830 or a 6790. The 6790 "appears" better, but it's got less stream processing units.

Same could be said of the GTX 550 versus the 460, the 460 is actually the better card if you look closely enough...but is it? Clocked lower, but more stream processors.

Someone needs to shove their foot up video card manufacturers asses, and get them to stop pulling this douchebaggery. It's intentionally misleading and it's pissing me off.

Piracy is killing PC gaming? No the douchebags responsible for THIS shit is killing PC gaming...

Ever since we left the Radeon X series and NvIdia's Numbers first series of cards(think that 8500 GT), they've thrown up a BS smokescreen.

We all knew an 9550 was better than an 8500, or an x800 was better than an x300. We knew the XT line was better than the vanilla line. All that is gone out the window now! A 5830 should be better in every way than anything before it, and nothing after it. Assholes...

Graphx cards should be dirt cheap by now, yeah with a decent rig games look and run better on a pc but for the price of a gfx card you could almost nope scratch that you can buy a console. it almost seems useless trying to keep up with pc upgrades.

Graphx cards should be dirt cheap by now, yeah with a decent rig games look and run better on a pc but for the price of a gfx card you could almost nope scratch that you can buy a console. it almost seems useless trying to keep up with pc upgrades.

A graphics card a mid ranged one is good for a year or two tops...

I think thats "ok" for a life span for 150 bucks...

I memember when a decent card last 4 years...