Xtras Team

Mega Man (?)

Hi,

I think I know what the problem is - its not with the emulator. It sounds like you're using the Xtras pack, its been noted that RX mistakenly included a few PAL roms instead of NTSC - Super Star Wars is one I noticed. It will cause the game and its music to run a bit too fast. I think you can force NTSC mode in the settings or just get a correct NTSC rom and replace it.

Let us know if that fixes your issue.

Excited about the thought of new developments.

A few things I would like addressed in Snes9x - I've noticed that a few games (like Donkey Kong and F-zero) run in "hyper-mode" on the latest release - the music is fast and so is the gameplay.

Also - when attempting to view vg maps - certain .png's work whereas others do not - I'm not sure if it has something to do with the file naming or the size of the file.

Just thought I'd throw those things out there.

Thanks for all the work!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - I tested the two emulators out on the PC and here are the results:

ZSnes v1.51 - Sounds just like the XBOX version, so that's a dead-end I believe

SNes9x v1.52 - Sounds MUCH, MUCH better. I think it may be very slightly off - but if it is, its not very noticeable.

This update was from Jan 2009, so I'm guessing its newer than Xport's port. Here is the site: http://www.snes9x.com

This would be a great update if it can be done.

I am intrigued by this...

I know as of now, SNes9xbox's overall compatibility is not as great as Zsnexbox. (of course it plays games zsnexbox doesn't, and vice/versa)

So I wonder... If we were to get the newest SNes9x v1.52 how it would do?

It will be looked into. :)

Keep um coming guys! community input and research is a great part of the effort. :(

I've always thought we needed a proper GUI for NeoCD/SDLx Unleased. That would be a HUGE thing for me. Also, DaphneX needs a way to remap keys so that some games will actually be playable. If memory serves me right a couple games run just fine but you can only watch yourself die cuz you can't DO anything. I think its Us vs Them that only needs a fire button.

Your right - both of those emulators need some love. Lantus did a great job with that NeoCD port. It has the best scanline filter on the XBOX in my opinion and matches the quality of the SLG3000 precisely.

I have two guesses for team ZOD: MAME and\or another Emulation Frontend where all the games are available under one big menu but its setup in a much more traditional Xport kind of way.

(Hooray for run-on sentences!)

Doing MAME with XPort's GUI would be a pain in my opinion, but to each their own.

Or if we're really lucky one of the PSone emulator devs gave permission to port something over to xbox now that its a dead system.

That'd be interesting. I'm trying to build a set of ROMs that are 2D only - so this would be welcome. I've had some good luck - better than I expected, although, the trial and error of tweaking the settings is a real pain.

maybe this scanline filter is something that could be implemented into other emus. sounds like something im gonna look into if i can find the source.

Hey Hells,

The source is up on XBINS. It would be great to put it in there! The thing with scanline filters is that they work best in 480p mode. Luckily, the newer HDTVs handle this fine. (480p is what the SLG3000 uses and it works great)

Good luck!

I've always thought we needed a proper GUI for NeoCD/SDLx Unleased. That would be a HUGE thing for me. Also, DaphneX needs a way to remap keys so that some games will actually be playable. If memory serves me right a couple games run just fine but you can only watch yourself die cuz you can't DO anything. I think its Us vs Them that only needs a fire button.

Your right - both of those emulators need some love. Lantus did a great job with that NeoCD port. It has the best scanline filter on the XBOX in my opinion and matches the quality of the SLG3000 precisely.

I have two guesses for team ZOD: MAME and\or another Emulation Frontend where all the games are available under one big menu but its setup in a much more traditional Xport kind of way.

(Hooray for run-on sentences!)

Doing MAME with XPort's GUI would be a pain in my opinion, but to each their own.

Or if we're really lucky one of the PSone emulator devs gave permission to port something over to xbox now that its a dead system.

That'd be interesting. I'm trying to build a set of ROMs that are 2D only - so this would be welcome. I've had some good luck - better than I expected, although, the trial and error of tweaking the settings is a real pain.

maybe this scanline filter is something that could be implemented into other emus. sounds like something im gonna look into if i can find the source.

Hi,

I think I know what the problem is - its not with the emulator. It sounds like you're using the Xtras pack, its been noted that RX mistakenly included a few PAL roms instead of NTSC - Super Star Wars is one I noticed. It will cause the game and its music to run a bit too fast. I think you can force NTSC mode in the settings or just get a correct NTSC rom and replace it.

Let us know if that fixes your issue.

Excited about the thought of new developments.

A few things I would like addressed in Snes9x - I've noticed that a few games (like Donkey Kong and F-zero) run in "hyper-mode" on the latest release - the music is fast and so is the gameplay.

Also - when attempting to view vg maps - certain .png's work whereas others do not - I'm not sure if it has something to do with the file naming or the size of the file.

Just thought I'd throw those things out there.

Thanks for all the work!

I'll give that a try.

Any suggestions for the VGmaps?

No, sorry, I don't really use those. Its my guess that the PNGs that are giving you problems are either -

1. saved with the wrong options selected

2. The PNGs with issues are JPGs and the file extension was just changed. AKA - the file is still a JPG and hasn't been converted.

A good way to check this out would be with a photo editor like Photoshop or the free alternative, Gimp - though I hate that program. :lol:

If you do figure out the problem, you should let Bigby know.

Good luck

Edited by PhilExile

Dang you guys! :lol:

OK, I tried SNes9x v1.52... games like "EarthWorm Jim 2" still freezes at the beginning. :/

My growing idea would to be if we could get a SNES emu that has multiple cores in it... like Surreal does... that way we could have games load with the best compatibility under one roof :P (most being from Zsnexbox)

ON VGmaps

"The Book of Madmab" states:

1) It's possible the map is simply too big.

2) Sometimes (not always) you can load the map into something like MS paint, and resave it, and it will work.

I have not figured out why number 2 works but it has happened.

when I say big.. I mean either so big that the "rendertotexture" function chokes.. or too big as in not enough free memory to load it.

Mega Man,

That's a bummer. I never tried that game. Well, if you have a Wii, its on Virtual Console. I know that's not a great solution, but its all I can think of. Maybe email the author and ask about it. He may fix it. I was just trying out the emu on the Wii and it works surprisingly well, so the port must be using the newest version. It'll probably crash there too though.

man I own peoples thoughts for some reasons..... if you want help megamind I can assist...as long as it conforms to open source and is handled well from management of the project....

hey bp any chance you have considered adding the scanline filter into the coinops releases? sounds like something that would rock and make coinops just that much better.

Edited by XxHellsFuryxX