Malloc out of memory errors...

U-Said-it

Hi. This question is for CoinOPS Epic R7.

I have been getting Malloc out of memory errors on a game, and I was wondering is there a optimal method for adjusting the VMM setting to make it playable?

The particular game in question is Konamis Open Golf Championship (ver EAE).

I noticed that it didnt have an entry in the vm.txt.

Edited by U-Said-it

it seems that version of the game is not emulated in mame 0.84,just had a quick look on maws.

i am assuming you tried turning on the vmm in the advanced settings?

there is another version of the game which seems to be playable but has wonky graphics.

it seems that version of the game is not emulated in mame 0.84,just had a quick look on maws.

i am assuming you tried turning on the vmm in the advanced settings?

there is another version of the game which seems to be playable but has wonky graphics.

Sorry, the link was messed up. http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/opengolf

It says it was added in version ".082u1", and that it's the parent set. I'm using non-merged sets. I was trying to keep parent sets only, unless the parent wasn't in English.

I was hoping someone might know a memory setting that could be added into the "vm.txt". I tried a few times, but while the number of bytes listed in the error changed, I couldn't find a working setting through trial-and-error.

On another note, I'm having errors with X-Men Vs Street Fighter too.

The parent set (xmvsf) gives me a "rom error: unable to load rom" message, and the US version (xmvsfu) gives me a "malloc: out of memory" message as well.

This particular game works in Final Burn Legends 1.3, and so do a few other games that don't in CoinOPS. (IE; Marvel Super Heroes -> Non-Asia Versions)

Can I assume that CoinOPS doesn't use the same rom-sets for CPS2 games as FBL?

Okay. I think I'm beginning to understand what roms it uses.

CoinOPS MAMEoX core = MAME 084

CoinOPS FinalBurnLegends core = MAME 0139

General Results:

- The CPS2 roms built to the MAME 084 set will play in the MAMEoX core, and the FBL core unless there were rom additions/revisions.

- The CPS2 roms built to the MAME 0139 set will play in the FBL core, but not (at all) in the MAMEoX core.

Specific Results:

- X-Men Vs Street Fighter plays in the MAMEoX core, but not the FBL core. This is unfortunate as the FBL core is now enabled by default.

- The other CPS2 games stopped functioning, when I disabled the FBL core, as I had them built as MAME 0139. A rebuild as MAME 084 remedied this, and it is apparently the most compatible setting.

This was mostly due to XOR table roms being used for decryption means, which were removed in later MAME revisions as the emulation was corrected. For instance, the Marvel Super Heroes XOR rom 'mshex.03e' was removed in later versions, and so were the other XOR roms found in the form of '*x.*'.

Sounds like the full package is for you :)

I have bandwidth issues. Not to mention, I'd like to have some free space on my HDD for my XBMC stuff, but thanks. :(

So I take it then that there is no specific memory setting that can correct the opengolf.zip error?

Edited by U-Said-it