looking for old game possibly somewhere in mame?

robot3

I know a few threads exist for this already (a sticky of "whats the game" would help). However I remember playing an old arcade game and to this day I cannot find any info online at all or anything else about it. I am asking here because for all I know it could have already been available in Mame for a number of years.

The game was either a true arcade (by Nintendo) or a bootleg (I believe it to be the latter) of the Nintendo game Excitebike. A friend of mine told me about the game and brought me to the arcade to actually play it.

I would have to say this was between the years of 1986-1988. I remember him telling me "this is the real version of excitebike".

This is what I can recall: the game was called exiteabike or excite a bike (but do not quote me on the title, because I might not be fully remembering the name correctly. I can tell you though it definitely did not use the regular excitebike name). The graphics were a big upgrade over the home Nintendo version. At one point during the game (for whatever reason) the bike would glow (flash). This then made you go faster and be immune from any crashes. You did not overheat or anything else that was in the home version.

I am aware of the Nintendo player series in Mame, but that edition of Excitebike appears to be the same one as the home NES release.

So did Nintendo actually make a true arcade excitebike or if this is a bootleg of some kind, does it sound familiar to anyone or more importantly is it in Mame somewhere under a different name?

Thank you for the reply. However it was not either of those editions. This version had no temp gauge and you could not over heat. Also when you did well for a while (assuming no crashing) the bike would flash and you would become "immune" to any crashes and go faster. Also the graphics were much better in this version. If one were to look at them (normal Nintendo version) side by side you could see a huge difference between them. I still really think it was a bootleg of some sort because the ExciteAbike name really stands out in my mind

Thank you for the reply. However it was not either of those editions. This version had no temp gauge and you could not over heat. Also when you did well for a while (assuming no crashing) the bike would flash and you would become "immune" to any crashes and go faster. Also the graphics were much better in this version. If one were to look at them (normal Nintendo version) side by side you could see a huge difference between them. I still really think it was a bootleg of some sort because the ExciteAbike name really stands out in my mind

http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/sprcros2 ?

Nope, it was not that either. Though the graphics were similar to the mystery game I played, you were playing excitebike. Same 2d side scrolling like the regular game. You could look at the game and say "oh it's excitebike with better graphics"

Nope, it was not that either. Though the graphics were similar to the mystery game I played, you were playing excitebike. Same 2d side scrolling like the regular game. You could look at the game and say "oh it's excitebike with better graphics"

Excitebike Bun Bun Mario Battle Stadium bootleg maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHHq0fEseI...feature=related

It's also possible that it is a bootleg of the sharp x1 or NEC PC-8801 system versions. I haven't been able to find screenshots of it.

It's also possible that it is a bootleg of the sharp x1 or NEC PC-8801 system versions. I haven't been able to find screenshots of it.

I had the same thought. When I Wikied this, I saw that the 8801 was a floppy based contraption so I didnt even look it up... but here ya go,

EDIT: Just google " Strange and Wonderful NEC PC-8801 Games " itll be the link at the top... about 3/4 down you'll see excite bike pics for the 88. Id link but it looks like they might have rom files or something.

or

---------------------------------------------------------------------->|<--- Right about here

As you can see it was actually a downgrade. I doubt they buffed a bootleg to be as cool as he describes.

As for the X1... LINK: I dont know if any of the pics there are from X1... but it look like 3 separate platforms, all equal to or worse in terms of the original.

Is it possible I was actually playing excitebike all those years ago and had no idea??? I can still swear the title of exciteabike, the slightly better graphics and the bike actually flashing white, however I just stumbled upon this youtube video, it is from the VS arcade version. Evidently if you trip up a number of riders you get rewarded and your bike turns yellow black, your temp gauge also gets greyed out and you drive in turbo.This cheat reward is not in the home versions. This would also make sense of the comment back then from my friend telling me when the bike was flashing "this is why it is called excitebike".

Check the time around 1:38 to see what I mean. In all my years of reading and searching info about this game (well at the time the bootleg version I still kind of think I played), I never saw this "cheat" info listed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-nTOcH_ck

I still think I saw a boot of excitebike, but at least this seems to answer most of the puzzle

Edited by robot3

I was about to mention the Vs. Excite bike... mainly because it was released in '88

was in in a cabinet like link or Link ?

It was a stand up normal cabinet (like your second link), though I think it was a connected machine so it had the two screens and two sides (for two players) at a slight angle further supporting the VS theory. Is it possible a revision of some sort might have existed at one time? I know the bike was flashing instead of changing colors when you got that infamous cheat reward

Edited by robot3