Any objections to this Graphics card?

emsley

What in the hell is the point of this Mini Display Port crap? It's an Apple proprietary connector that has no real world use beyond their own products, so why do I keep seeing it on video cards? We all know you can't use anything but an Apple Badged and Bios'ed card in a(actual) MAC.

What in the hell is the point of this Mini Display Port crap? It's an Apple proprietary connector that has no real world use beyond their own products, so why do I keep seeing it on video cards? We all know you can't use anything but an Apple Badged and Bios'ed card in a(actual) MAC.

From wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

DisplayPort is designed to replace digital (DVI) and analog component video (VGA) connectors in computer monitors and video cards, as well as replace internal digital LVDS links in computer monitor panels and TV panels. DisplayPort can provide the same functionality as HDMI but is not expected to displace HDMI in high-definition consumer electronics devices.

In December 2010 it was announced that several computer vendors and display makers including Intel, AMD, Dell, Lenovo, Samsung and LG would stop using LVDS from 2013 and legacy DVI and VGA connectors from 2015, replacing them with DisplayPort and HDMI.

Probably to make the video cards more future proof. You might want to have a look at advantages over legacy standards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Advantages_over_legacy_standards)

The one feature I like with DisplayPort 1.2 is the ability to daisy chain up to four monitors!

Yeah but those advantages don't apply to HDMI comparisons. The things potentially offered by Displayport aren't much use to anything but the PC world. HDMI is perfectly suitable to anyone with their PC inside of 15', any of the other so called "features" have yet to come to light.

These things are all theoretical right now anyway. The biggest proponent, Direct Drive monitors don't even exist yet, a key focal point of DisplayPort.

So as of right now, DisplayPort is fairly useless to be putting on the average video card that isn't destined for a Mac. Who buys just an LCD Computer monitor anymore, when you get a TV in it too for often times LESS money?

You're not finding DisplayPort on TVs yet, as there is no use.

I'm aware of the benefits, but those benefits are not even really needed by the masses. I see DisplayPort as a gimmick at best, kinda like FireWire was so shit hot...where did that go?

• 3 weeks later...

Things might be getting worse with DisplayPort, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface) how silly can Intel and Apple get? I'm now confident that USB3 will win.

Thunderbolt (originally codenamed Light Peak) is an interface for connecting peripheral devices to a computer via an expansion bus. Thunderbolt was developed by Intel and brought to market with technical collaboration from Apple Inc. It was introduced commercially on Apple's updated MacBook Pro lineup on February 24, 2011, using the same port and connector as Mini DisplayPort.

Like I said, Firewire....2.0. It will flop as it's uses are not intended for the masses. Of course it may not flop in it's uses that are not for the masses, but if they're looking to push it on the masses it will fail.