Yoshinori Ono claims the time feels right to resurrect Onimusha

193393-header.jpg

In what may be the sweetest news I've heard all weekend, Capcom's Yoshinori Ono has given Onimusha fans a glimmer of hope by declaring that "the time feels right" to bring the series back to life. Who could argue with that?

“The time feels right to me," he declared. "It feels like it’s the time to resurrect that series. But I wouldn’t want to do the things we’ve done before. I think it might be time to progress beyond the standard single-player adventure. There should be ways to expand upon what we’ve done while involving the community more.

"Perhaps implement some sort of multiplayer into a game like that. I don’t have those ideas solidified yet, but when these ideas come to fruition, when I feel good about them and I feel we can do something, I will most certainly take them in for approval with the higher-ups. It’s something I’m very interested in doing."

Onimusha was one of the coolest franchises on the PlayStation 2, and easily among my favorites. Capcom has soundly ignored the franchise since the death of the last generation, but it's wonderful to know that a fairly influential producer is pulling for it. Fingers crossed that the

Source

Thing is the games were like a melee Resident Evil type of game, but RE gameplay has changed since RE4 with the over the shoulder approach. I can't see a hack-n-slash (for what its worth) like Onimusha being played that way obviously, so are they going to revamp the engine to play like something else such as GoW and such? Then it would definitely stray from its roots but it might be worth it... jumping for a change?

And they need to touch on the Oni race more this time around. No game has made being an "ogre" as cool as Onimusha lol.

You make a very solid point. Gameplay on most "remakes" or "sequels" have upgraded. Those that do not risk stagnant gameplay. Same 'ole shit. But on that very same coin, there are those who tried to upgrade and failed miserably. Look at Front Mission.

Im just sick of the same shit. Castlevania Los & Darksiders took pages from Onimusha, sure it worked but it points out redundancy. With those two games, one should be able to look at what makes a game like that... a game like that... and begin from scratch.

But whatever they do it had better be on the same vein as Dawn of Dreams... my favorite. Black Oni is badass.

What some people fail to remember is that, without the Onimusha series, some of the most highly acclaimed hack n' slasher titles, probably would not exist, or would not be as good as they are, since Devil May Cry and Onimusha were basically the foothold for the 3D aspect of the genre. Even though both games aren't considered as hack n' slashers, rather, action adventure games, they are important when mentioning the history of the 3D single player console genre.

It wouldn't bother me for them to use the Dawn of Dreams system with better graphics just for this new title, but with all of these action packed games like Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, No More Heroes, three of which, are based around the same type of gaming concept, Onimusha might seem stale, so they might have to revamp how fast or slow the combat will be in comparison to other games.

I could go as far as to say, that Onimusha is better compared to Devil May Cry more than anything else. We'll also have to see how the new Devil May Cry game plays as well. Will it be more action oriented like the last titles? We will have to see indeed.

Well said.

If I had a hand in it, Id bring concepts together to make a unique gaming experience. That, in itself is very hard. Very very hard to come up with what I'm saying. Im not talking about some silly mechanic added on... Im talking about a re-thinking of how these games are played.

You can attack/counter/defend, use special moves/combos with various weapons etc etc etc. If all they do is make a gorgeous revamp of old shit... I wouldnt be surprised... One avenue Id look into is how other games handle attack, defense and countering. Look at Bushido Blade, Soul Calibur, Fighting games like Tekken/SF even DBZ. Id look into various aspects of customization, Im talking weapon and character. Im sure we all could think tank a marvelous idea or two...

But the same 'ole same just isnt cutting it anymore. I find myself playing more obscure titles because they had the freedom to do whatever they wanted... and ended up making a game that rocked, a game that was FRESH. Darwania +, Defense Grid, Ill spare the list.