Forums/subforums that we don't need anymore...

Alpha

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...

- Combine the Arcade subforums into one.

- Combine the Sega subforums into one

- Combine the "General X" subforums into one

- Same with Nintendo stuff and perhaps Playstation (with the exception of the Wii and the PS3)

- Put Wii, PS3 and X360 under "Next Generation Consoles" or something like that - or rather, "Current Generation"

- Does anyone truly care about MUGEN?

I would merge xbox360 and xbox, they are much the same really.

Merge all the handhelds, the DS developer stuff (DSwifi, Dualis, DSemu, StellaDS), GBA, N64, PSP etc all into the General Handheld forum. Rename it to Handheld.

Merge Nintendo / Super Nintendo, Gamecube, Wii, Genesis / MegaCD, Dreamcast / Saturn, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, into General Console. Rename it to Console.

Merge MAME, Neogeo, CPS into General Arcade. Rename it to Arcade.

Emulation radio show should be merged back to wherever it came from.

Obviously I'd like to see the return of the FAS, but if it isn't going to happen then merge the FAS forum with something else.

Seems MUGEN is no more being developed, perhaps that could be merged into something else as well. Don't really care if you leave it there though.

edit: info about developer forums.. in all cases the developers have abandoned us.

DSemu, nothing new for nearly 5 years. There is a redirectable link from the DSemu site to its forum.

Two9A: Last Seen: 22nd November 2007 - 04:27 AM

doublec: Last Seen: 2nd May 2007 - 11:46 AM

Dualis, nothing new in 3 and and a half years. There is a direct link from the Dualis site to its forum. Might be able to be redirected.

mic: Last Seen: 29th May 2007 - 03:41 PM

DSwifi, nothing new recently. There is a redirectable link from the DSwifi site to its forum.

sgstair: Last Seen: 2nd September 2009 - 03:54 PM

DS2Key, Win2DS - no website afaik, nothing new in years.

sypherce: Last Seen: 27th April 2010 - 12:42 PM

Sintax: Last Seen: 26th April 2008 - 06:47 PM

monkeynz: Last Seen: 31st December 2009 - 11:34 AM

StellaDS: The author has vanished from the scene, and his website is gone.

TheChuckster: Last Seen: 18th August 2009 - 06:23 AM

I already suggested more than once over the last few years, to simply create Parent Forums for each manufacturer to clean the index page up.

Then it doesn't matter if we have 20 forums, or 200. And it doesn't take more than some clicks to do, there's no actual work involved.

Right now they're just CATs with the forums listed under them. Just make the cats PARENTs instead.

I already suggested more than once over the last few years, to simply create Parent Forums for each manufacturer to clean the index page up.

Then it doesn't matter if we have 20 forums, or 200. And it doesn't take more than some clicks to do, there's no actual work involved.

Right now they're just CATs with the forums listed under them. Just make the cats PARENTs instead.

I'm only reluctant to do that because I do think people are too damn lazy to click the CAT then get to the subcats.... maybe it's just me, but i like it all there at first sight.

Being that there are ds project based forums, merging them all into one Ds related forum seems like a bad idea. Call me a geek, but if i had a forum, i wouldn't dare mess with that. Because what if, the developer decides to re-continue his project and all of a sudden he is looking for his project forum and it's been turned into this huge party mix filled with non-related ds emulation stuff. In my opinion, that part of this community isn't broken.

if you're looking to shorten the height of the forum a bit, i recommend parenting a few of those categories. If im not mistaken this is an emulation community, so it would be wise to expose emulation related stuff as much as possible. Whether old or new, it doesn't matter.. it's still informative even if the project is dead.

Edited by LoRd_SnOw

There's also another option - you could take many of the less active forums and set them to read-only within an archive category/parent. From there, new forums could be created with the new structure. That way the content is still there for anyone who wants to read it and if a project comes back to life or the forum becomes relevant again, it can be reactivated.