Help me build my rig

Then how about just bringing down the quality of the parts? I still think you can build a really good machine even with the prices that are listed, you just have to tweak things here and there (like Shiba said, 6 GB triple channel is nice, but do you really need it?).

I managed to build a decent rig with 600 (later on I upgraded my card with 150 on the side as well). I did have a lot of help from the guys here and locally, I still think it's possible for you to do it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip: if you already got a AM2+ motherboard, check if the latest bios support "AGESA 3.7.0.0" , some motherboard manufactures will tell you that, some won't especially with earlier AM2+ motherboards (they want money), if that the case open up the bios file in notepad and then find (F3) "!!AGESA" and next to that there should be a version number, if it is 3.7.0.0 then the bios should support all AM3 CPU's including Phenom II x6 (except 1045T & 1075T so avoid those CPU's, at least 1090T is fine). Whatever you do, don't modify the bios, it best to create a copy of the bios file before opening it in notepad!

I just notice that Shiba was recommending system with Gigabyte boards!

Edited by Hexter

Just make sure you don't buy an AM3 only motherboard, and an AM2/AM2+ CPU! They are NOT compatible, even if you remove the keying pins on the CPU (Which still works in an AM2 mobo afterwards).

You need an AM2/AM2+/AM3 motherboard, and yes there are boards out there that are made for AM3 only.

Just make sure you don't buy an AM3 only motherboard, and an AM2/AM2+ CPU! They are NOT compatible, even if you remove the keying pins on the CPU (Which still works in an AM2 mobo afterwards).

You need an AM2/AM2+/AM3 motherboard, and yes there are boards out there that are made for AM3 only.

The reason why AM2/AM2+ CPU don't work on AM3 only motherboard is because those CPU's lack the DDR3 controller, while the AM3 CPU has both DDR2 and DDR3 therefore works in either AM2+ or AM3. The only benefit the AM3 only motherboard has is DDR3 which has 5% to 10% performance over DDR2, DDR2-800 should be good enough for all computer games as of today, anything above that is practically an overkill. DDR2-800 is the minimum for AM2+ and AM3 CPU's.

Also DDR2 rams don't work in AM3 board and DDR3 rams don't work in AM2/AM2+ boards

Edited by Hexter

I think manufacturers should start offering boards with upgradeable NB/SB. Then they can key RAM all the same, and it's just a matter of replacing your NB to use a higher speed RAM.

With AMD's CPUs having their memory controller on the CPU itself, this makes such a thing even easier.

By upgradeable you mean socketed NB/SB, well the manufacturers got rid of socketed BIOS just to cut cost and I believe ASUS still uses socketed BIOS'es and some gigabyte board use dual-bios.

Anyway I been playing Super Mario Kart Wii on Dolphin and it runs smoothly with AMD Phenom II x6 1090T on DDR2-800 RAM.

Edited by Hexter