pokemon elite four save problem. im new. please help

TDWPgtp

well in my options > emulator menu, there was a "automatic IPS patching" box checked... i assume i need to uncheck that?...

id like to be able to create the vba-over.ini file that is described in the first post but i dont know exactly how to do it...if you could try to guide me thatd be awesome. cuz that post confuses me ha

Checking that box really does noting unless you have a separase IPS file with the same name as your ROM in either the Save folder or the ROM folder, I forget which one.

vba-over.ini works exactly like it was written in the first post in that other tread.

1. Create an empty file and name it vba-over.ini (not vba-over.ini.txt or some other stupid shit like that). Place it in VBA's main folder.

2. Open it in Notepad (or whichever text editor you use) and type in or paste the lines that correspond to the game you have:

i.e. if you have LeafGreen:

Pokemon LeafGreen (U)
[BPGE]
flashSize=131072

The first line is the filename, without the extension. This needs to match your ROM, for obvious reasons. The second line is the Game Code, which can be found by loading a game and choosing File --> ROM Information. The last line is the savetype specification. Most Pokemon games seem to use flashSize=131072, but don't expect it to work for all games. If the game uses the Real Time Clock to measure time, the line rtcEnabled= is also present (just so we're on the clear, LeafGreen doesn't use the RTC, to my knowledge anyway).

3. When you're done, save the changes.

P.S. i don't remember if I asked this, but what version of VBA are you using? Don't tell me it's 1.7.2 or something ancient like that.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

call me dumb, but i can not figure out how to create a new blank file... and i dont know where to find the readme file that supposedly describes how to do so... all i know how to do is edit an existing vba file with the notepad, which im assuming is not what i want to do... so how do i make a new file?

and no its vba 1.8.0

Still ancient. Use VBA-M.

Anyway, create a new text file, for example. Type in what you need to. Just remember to save it as vba-over.ini and not vba-over.ini.txt (which will happen if you're not careful).

Or, if you are really feeling helpless and stupid, and what the easy way out, just make a copy of vba.ini, clear it of content and rename the copy as vba-over.ini.

fair enough ha. so next question then, since you appear to be willing to help... what do i do to open the file? it says that windows needs to know what program to open it.. (and yes, i know i am helpless at this stuff)

Edited by TDWPgtp

I sorta kinda figured you'd run into this since the archive is 7-zipped. Both WinZip and WinRAR can work with 7-Zip archives, or if you're feeling adventurous, download and install the official 7-Zip Archiver (Google it).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, you'll have to figure that one out yourself, I don't use 7-Zip. What I can say though that it really isn't rocket science. Read the documentation that comes with the program if you can't figure it out just by staring at the main program window.

welll i did what i was told (and what i thought i should do) and i keep getting a system error when i try to open th file. it says d3dx9_42.dll is missing from my computer... what do i do??

p.s. if i have any more problems im just giving up, but i appreciate your help

You haven't got the latest DirectX redistributable package installed. Either go to Microsoft's site and download the DirectX updater, or download 3d3x9_42.dll file separately from a DLL archive and put it in VBA's folder.