How long does it take for gasoline to go stale?

Shibathedog

I had an 88 T-bird that was pretty nice.

this is a top ten of all time car right here.

1964-ford-thunderbird-2.png

64 t-bird

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that is really nice. I love classics like that. I'd rather ride in luxury than go real fast too :)

Man I hope it's not that fucked. It's only been sitting for like a month though I was starting it until the battery crapped out and now I can't. I'll try and jump it in a bit I guess. How long you think I should leave it running? Fuck man I do not have money for a new car though. I hope I don't end up driving around in some shitty ass van or something. Sharing a car with my wife is getting to be a pain in the ass too just because of work schedules.

I appreciate classic American Muscle cars, it's the new garbage that people seem to think is shit hot I can't stand.

Newer Corvette? ASS...all power, greasy bacon fat handling on the road just like the Viper.

The new iterations of the Charger? Fucking please.

The Mustang has sucked for a long time...

If that's the best they can throw out, I'm not impressed. Japan has the "Muscle" these days, with cars that may not have a huge engine under the hood, but can out-handle the above cars by FAR where their HP means fuck all.

My fav cars in no particular order?

1968 Dodge Charger

2000 Mazda RX-7 Type RB

Lamborghini Countach (Stuff it Diablo)

I appreciate classic American Muscle cars, it's the new garbage that people seem to think is shit hot I can't stand.

Newer Corvette? ASS...all power, greasy bacon fat handling on the road just like the Viper.

The new iterations of the Charger? Fucking please.

The Mustang has sucked for a long time...

If that's the best they can throw out, I'm not impressed. Japan has the "Muscle" these days, with cars that may not have a huge engine under the hood, but can out-handle the above cars by FAR where their HP means fuck all.

My fav cars in no particular order?

1968 Dodge Charger

2000 Mazda RX-7 Type RB

Lamborghini Countach (Stuff it Diablo)

Yeah I agree. I don't know what is with all these stupid fucking remakes/reboots. It seems like it should have ended years ago with the GTO. Remember when they redid that? It was a fucking joke. They kept doing it though.

Even the newer Cadillacs suck. Sure they look pretty cool on the outside (still prefer the classic look though) but once you actually get inside one it's like WTF?! This car costs what?! They don't drive smooth or anything either.

They always told me let it run for about 5-10 min, at least once a week. Letting it sit for a month shouldnt be so bad, you shouldnt have the problem I had.

Alright cool. That's do-able.

FUCK!

Well I started it up and some kind of smoke started coming from underneath the engine block. It seemed like towards the front. It may have just been steam since it's cold out but I have a feeling it was smoke because it seemed kinda dark. Also as soon as I disconnected the jumper cables it died. Which makes no fucking sense because the alternator is pretty much brand new. I'm starting to think this car is fucked which sucks because I love this car :D

My mechanic friend is coming to look at it tomorrow. I hope it turns out to be something not so shitty. I'm not holding my breath though, and I don't have any money for a new car >_<

If you're running it with no battery, you will have an incomplete circuit by removing the cables if the alternator directly feeds just the battery with no other feeds.

Just shut the other car off once it's running, and your alternator will keep it's battery charged and your car running still.

If any oil were to leak out, it would burn off... dark as you say. But there would have been an odor as well. Each fluid has a distinctive smell, especially when boiled. I dont know what you saw, but im offering my experiences as an extreme example.

When a car sits, things happen that are not intended. Fluid settles, goes to the bottom. If after a few startups this "dark smoke" occurs, you may have some troubles. Hopefully its just random shit burning off that will pass.

More likely condensation, I bet there was a bit of a puddle on the ground under the tailpipe. That's another thing you have to watch for when leaving a car sit, condensation accumulating inside the exhaust and working it's way up into the engine. It will get up into any open valves and ruin your seals.